Hot Stone Massage Question

Terre

I will be on the Star the last week of October and plan on getting a hot stone massage. Does anyone know about how much that costs, and if you've had one, did you like it?

Anyone have any favorite massages from Lotus Spa?:D

I had the stone massage not on a cruise ship but at a local spa. It was good but I don't think I would have it again. It was a little to hard for me and maybe I should have said that to the girl. But in general I think the stones are a little on the rough side.

Last year on Coral I had the seaweed wrap and it was like a few hours in heaven.

Enjoy yourself whatever you choose!

mary beth

I had never heard that the rocks were rough......maybe ask to see them first?

I have had dozens of hot rock massages, altho never on a cruise. All of the rocks used were large river rock, smoothed by years of water/sand erosion.

I love them.....really like the deep and prolonged heat conveyed by the rocks.

sorry

didn't mean texture just that the pressure and use of the rocks is harder than a regular massage.

as I said it was something I always wanted to try and I did enjoy it overall but it wouldn't be the one I chose in the future.

I will be on the Star the last week of October and plan on getting a hot stone massage. Does anyone know about how much that costs, and if you've had one, did you like it?

Anyone have any favorite massages from Lotus Spa?:D

I had the hot stone massage on the Coral Princess last November----it was really great. Can't remember the cost.

I too have had a stone massage at a local spa. I most enjoyed the heat from the stones when they were resting on my back (but you do need to tell therapist if they ever get too hot). They also use the stones to massage the muscles, but, for me, there's nothing like a good pair of hands to do that job! Given the fact that a stone massage is typically more expensive than others, I'm glad I tried it, but don't know that I'd do it again unless the price was right. It's certainly worth trying, I did enjoy mine, to see if it's something you like. Enjoy!

I had the hot stones aromatherapy massage on two Royal Caribbean ships, and it was about $175 for a 75 minute treatment. I think the cost is the same - both lines contract their spas out to Steiner. The treatment was heavenly! My only complaint was that I relaxed so much that I fell asleep and missed part of the experience!

I have never had a stone massage but have given many to my wife. The stones do allow a lot more pressure to be applied which is something the operator needs to be aware of. My wife likes the heat of the stones in the cooler months but not in the summer, so we rarely do the hot stone massage in the summer. The operator also needs to make sure the rocks are not too hot, they should be about 120 - 125 degrees F for most people. Always feel free to give feedback to the person giving the massage as everyone likes differant pressure, most new people tend not to press hard enough, afraid of breaking the client. If you like a deep tissue massage and the feel of warmth on your body, you will probably enjoy the hot stone massage, if not then not.

My only complaint was that I relaxed so much that I fell asleep and missed part of the experience!

The ultimate compliment to the person giving the massage, the client falling asleep means you are doing somethign right!

especially if they are hot....

While we're on the subject (sort of): DW and I are taking our 3rd cruise (all on Princess) in Feb to the Caribbean. I've done all the "special" events things for her on past cruises and for some time have been wondering how she'd like something at the Spa - a massage, wrap - whatever. I don't think she's ever had anything like that as far as I know and we've been married 33 years so if it was before that she's forgotten it :-)

What would you experts suggest if I just want to make her feel pampered for an hour or so (while I go to the bar....)???

I agree with RedRobin...I liked the stone massage but not as much as a "hands-on" massage. I like very deep massages and the stones just don't do that as well as real hands. Hmmm, unusual that I would like something that is slightly less expensive than the alternative.

I would recommend a massage for a first time unless she has problems with people touching her (some do, a woman in my massage school did and had to drop out). A facial or a foot pampering are also good and recommended.

My wife loves a foot massage and pedicure as the feet are usually neglected.

Hope this helps.

especially if they are hot....

While we're on the subject (sort of): DW and I are taking our 3rd cruise (all on Princess) in Feb to the Caribbean. I've done all the "special" events things for her on past cruises and for some time have been wondering how she'd like something at the Spa - a massage, wrap - whatever. I don't think she's ever had anything like that as far as I know and we've been married 33 years so if it was before that she's forgotten it :-)

What would you experts suggest if I just want to make her feel pampered for an hour or so (while I go to the bar....)???

How thoughtful! For the first time I'd also suggest a swedish massage, although sampler packages can be nice too. You could also pre-purchase spa credit so your wife can pick her own treatment. However, reserving in advance makes sure you get the treatment/time that you want. I was able to pre-reserve my treatment on the cruise personalizer, like I did with the shore excursions, but have read that not all Princess ships let you do that. You can always cancel or change a reservation onboard with at least 24 hours notice. If you can't do it in advance, be sure to reserve a time as soon as you can once onboard.

Archived