Tropical storm Gonzalo

marnie2005

We are on the Bermuda sailing on the Dawn this coming Friday sailing from Boston. Looks like TS Gonzalo may be heading to Bermuda on the weekend. Any ideas where we might end up sailing to if this happens? Anyone ever experienced this.... Really don't want to miss Bermuda

I have not read the rest of the thread, so I do not what others have said.

The Bermuda option is likely a no go. Gonzalo will be a cat-2, near cat-3, when it gets to Bermuda Friday night. But I think Canada is only a slightly better option since he will be bringing gales to Nova Scotia on Saturday night, and the coastal waters of New England will be rather rough.

If I were to guess, I'd think a cruise to Florida and the Bahamas would make the best sense. On the other hand, the Dawn leaves Boston about the time Gonzalo is near Bermuda, and it could sail towards NYC before turning back to Bermuda. Unfortunately Bermuda will be a mess.

The latest forecast :

<a href=Gonzalo4_zpsd1ae00da.jpg' alt='Gonzalo4_

2pm Friday should be the time when Gonzalo, a category 4 Major Hurricane with sustained winds of 130-155 mph, will impact Bermuda.

The predicted path is clear...right over the Island....:mad::eek:

A category 4 Hurricane is twice as more powerful as TS Fay was a few days ago near Bermuda.

I have not read the rest of the thread, so I do not what others have said.

The Bermuda option is likely a no go. Gonzalo will be a cat-2, near cat-3, when it gets to Bermuda Friday night. But I think Canada is only a slightly better option since he will be bringing gales to Nova Scotia on Saturday night, and the coastal waters of New England will be rather rough.

If I were to guess, I'd think a cruise to Florida and the Bahamas would make the best sense. On the other hand, the Dawn leaves Boston about the time Gonzalo is near Bermuda, and it could sail towards NYC before turning back to Bermuda. Unfortunately Bermuda will be a mess.

ships from Boston, NYC and Bayonne NJ all left right before Sandy hit and made it to Bermuda! hopefully that will be us:D

I got this on about the Rising Sun this after. Friends of mine are suppose to fly in Friday

Yes, the boat suffered majored damage during TS Fay, and will not be operational for the remainder of the 2014 season.

However, we at Island Tour Centre offer a variety of alternate excursions, if you would like to browse our website http://www.islandtourcentre.com for options.

If you are scheduled to fly in on Friday, please keep a very close eye on your flight status. We currently have Hurricane Gonzalo heading towards us, and current forecasts expect it to be Category 3 and a close or direct hit by Mid-Day on Friday.

Due to Gonzalo warnings, all tour boats are being pulled out of the water, thus there will be no snorkeling Between Friday, October 17th and Sunday, October 19th. So please feel free to browse our website and make your reservations online for activities from the 19th onward - otherwise you can contact us via phone on 441-236-1300 today or tomorrow.

ships from Boston, NYC and Bayonne NJ all left right before Sandy hit and made it to Bermuda! hopefully that will be us:D

The more you look at the timing of this storm, I have no doubt that sailing to Bermuda will be no problem. But what you will find once you get there is another story.

Bermuda may close the port.

[ATTACH]327888[/ATTACH]

Already a category 3 which is a strong hurricane. Supposed to be a cat 4 :/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FWIW, if you delve into the forecast details, the storm is expected to be back down to cat 3 by the time it reaches Bermuda. National Hurricane Center doesn't display the data on their forecast map...you have to actually read the technical forecast discussion. Cat 3 is bad enough, but not nearly as bad as 4.

If you want you can look at the Bermuda Weather Service's map. BWS actually includes that additional information: http://www.weather.bm/maps/TropicalStormInfo.asp?WTNTnum=WTNT23&20141015165

FWIW, if you delve into the forecast details, the storm is expected to be back down to cat 3 by the time it reaches Bermuda. National Hurricane Center doesn't display the data on their forecast map...you have to actually read the technical forecast discussion. Cat 3 is bad enough, but not nearly as bad as 4.

If you want you can look at the Bermuda Weather Service's map. BWS actually includes that additional information: http://www.weather.bm/maps/TropicalStormInfo.asp?WTNTnum=WTNT23&20141015165

What is clear, no matter what the wind strength is Friday afternoon, the ave action that will hit the south side beaches is going to be extreme.

I wouldn't plan on going to bermuda this weekend... even if this storm hits on a friday afternoon and leaves by saturday, with a Cat 3-4 hurricane hitting the Island, It is going to be a major clean-up for a week or two. Lots of places will be without electricity and more likely than not restaurants and activities will be closed.....the people on the Dawn will not have fun at all and then will blame NCL for this.

To everyone concerned about the residents, thank you. With my home we started

to cover windows and doors today and once we're done with the stuff we need to do we'll head out and help others in the neighborhood.

The hardware stores have had a boost in business today which is no surprise. But one thing that I don't understand is that even with the increase in sales and people buying everything because of an upcoming hurricane the hardware stores still close early. Standard closing times for the hardware stores are between 4:00pm and 6:00pm. The supermarkets offer 10% off cash sales every Wednesday so tomorrow is going to be extra CrAzY with people wanting to buy everything.

The hurricane is scheduled to hit on Friday so this still gives the vessel enough time to arrive ontime on Sunday however my concern would be the damage (if any) and if the island can accept the vessel.

Let's just see what happens and to the cruisers scheduled to visit this weekend, I do hope you get to visit but whatever happens enjoy your vacation regardless cause I'm sure I'll be in the yard picking up branches and raking leaves.

Edited by ComeOnLetsGo

to cover windows and doors today and once we're done with the stuff we need to do we'll head out and help others in the neighborhood.

The hardware stores have had a boost in business today which is no surprise. But one thing that I don't understand is that even with the increase in sales and people buying everything because of an upcoming hurricane the hardware stores still close early. Standard closing times for the hardware stores are between 4:00pm and 6:00pm. The supermarkets offer 10% off cash sales every Wednesday so tomorrow is going to be extra CrAzY with people wanting to buy everything.

The hurricane is scheduled to hit on Friday so this still gives the vessel enough time to arrive ontime on Sunday however my concern would be the damage (if any) and if the island can accept the vessel.

Let's just see what happens and to the cruisers scheduled to visit this weekend, I do hope you get to visit but whatever happens enjoy your vacation regardless cause I'm sure I'll be in the yard picking up branches and raking leaves.

And prayers to you that you all remain safe. vacations are jus that. They are not someone's home or business. Good luck with the storm

Praying that you all make it through this storm ok! I will be sad if we don't get to Bermuda, but I am lucky that we were just there in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Prayers for you all - if anybody is prepared for hurricanes, its the residents of Bermuda.

To All My Friends in Bermuda. Good Luck and hope for the Best. The last thing any Island needs is 4000 people off two cruise ships standing around at the Dockyard for three days. I know that BDA is great at recovering from storms, but a Cat 3 is different beast. We live on the coast and got hit hard with Hurricane Sandy, My wife works in the medical field. the morning after Sandy left I drove her to work through an obstacle course. When I got home I had cars parked in my driveway of people from out of state coming down to gawk at the damage. No one helps out, they look and then leave. I've been on the Island for Josephine, Lilly, Dean & and the storm that claimed the lives of 4 people. Stay safe I'm with you and get some rest BELCO!

We send our prayers to all of those wonderful Bermudians who have welcomed us to your beautiful island. Stay safe.

Hoping everyone and the island will stay safe with minimal impact. Sandy and her results still haunt us here... such devastation.

Other vacations can always be booked...stay safe

Safe sailing

Prayers are with everyone in Bermuda for their safety as that's really all that matters & is first & foremost in my mind. It's almost unimaginable what they're going through right now what with Fay having hit them last Saturday, & now knowing what's coming on Friday with an almost guaranteed visit from Gonzalo. Maybe he'll change his mind & change course, & oh, I'm so praying that he does! We were just there on the Dawn over Labor Day, & the devastation that's sure to come on Friday to the the island & its inhabitants is overwhelming to think about. Our friend & tour guide who has lived on the island her entire life told me yesterday that everyone there is literally stunned, especially on top of the damage that occurred & power outages that are still in existence! It will be interesting to see how this all plays out for all of you scheduled to leave Boston on Friday as most likely, especially now with this press release, the ports will be closed. How you'll be able to dock on Sunday is yet to be seen, & depending on how bad the devastation really is, there may be no point even IF the docks are reopened by Sunday. NCL will have to make that decision by the time you leave Boston, & with Canada being the most likely choice, I hope y'all pack accordingly to be on the safe side! If I were on this cruise versus the one we were one the end of August, I sure would, & really feel for all of you since it looks like you won't have a clue where you're going until Friday. That would reaaaaaaaaaaaaally frustrate me not knowing, but with it being one of those things that noone has any control over, I wish all of you a safe & fun cruise to wherever you end up!

BERMUDA TOURISM AUTHORITY - HURRICANE GONZALO ADVISORY 1

The Bermuda Tourism Authority (BTA) is closely monitoring the progress of Hurricane Gonzalo and liaising with the Bermuda Hotel Association, L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA) and other authorities. The Bermuda Weather Service (BWS) is tracking Hurricane Gonzalo, which is expected to affect the island in the coming days.

Although hotels in Bermuda are fully prepared to accommodate guests under these circumstances, the BTA recommends all visitors proactively contact their airlines to determine what options are available because we expect the L.F. Wade International Airport to close as the storm approaches. The BTA is working with industry partners to request change fees are waived and asking them to ensure all possible courtesies to those affected are afforded.

Additionally, the BTA recommends visitors with plans to come to Bermuda in the next five (5) days consider postponing their travel until a later date. The Bermuda Hotel Association hurricane cancelation policy is now in effect.

L.F. Wade International Airport, the only airport in Bermuda, is continuing to operate with regular service and is working with airlines to accommodate extra flights in advance of the storm where possible.

The cruise ship ports in Bermuda are expected to close as the storm approaches. Cruise visitors should contact their cruise lines for specific information.

The BTA advises visitors and potential visitors to follow the progress of Hurricane Gonzalo closely on the Bermuda Weather Service or the U.S. National Weather Service website.

The BTA will continue to monitor the hurricane and will provide updates as the situation warrants. We also urge you to follow Bermuda's Department of Communication & Information on Twitter and Facebook for the latest on advisories and closures.

Edited by fonekween
Bold

The strong winds are expected to last 27 hours ( as per BWS ) and start Thursday night. So the worst should be all gone by Saturday morning. The Dawn is expected at 11am on Sunday...unless the Dockyard is damaged and unless the crew can't access the Dockyard, the Dawn should dock Sunday.

I guess we will see soon...

Hope everyone is safe.

Just think, some of you will be on a cruise that can bring fun and an adventure while I'll be here cleaning up. Which would you choose? :D

I am praying that this storm sifts a little and misses most of Bermuda. You have endured enough already. I pray that your family and property will be spared.

Just think, some of you will be on a cruise that can bring fun and an adventure while I'll be here cleaning up. Which would you choose? :D

If you neglect the potential wind damage which depends on how far west of you it passes, the swells being generated will clearly sweep the south side beaches.

Not having see these affects, how stripped of sand would you expect the beaches to be?

Edited by untailored bostonian