Noisy Under the Galley??

LisaT12

Yes, it can be awful. We were on the Imagination at the beginning of the year and the noise would start very early in the morning and would go on for hours. We complained repeatedly, they never did stop it, we were given a discount coupon for a future cruise but we would have been more satisfied with a quiet cabin.

Does anyone have any experience with having a cabin directly under the galley? Is it noisy in the moring when they are preparing for breakfast? Would we be able to hear it in our cabin?

Thanks.....

We were right under the galley on our last cruise on the Triumph and we didn't hear anything. Well, I guess every so often we would hear a bump or something, but honestly it was very calm and quiet and never disturbed our sleep or anything.

We were under the galley on the Triumph and it wasn't bad at all. Heard a bump or scratch every once in a while. But we were really only in our room to sleep. We have a room booked on the Magic in February and it looks like it may be under the galley again, but I'm not too worried!

We were below the galley on Royal's Enchantment and after two nights of no sleep at all, we were moved to another very quiet cabin. Truly, it was awful and wouldn't recommend it - that's our experience with a below the galley cabin - interesting that 2 posters said no noise under the galley on the Triumph........I'll have to remember that:)

We had a balcony under the Lido galley on Victory and it was so noisy that the next morning we went to Guest Services and invoked the Guarantee. Luckily they were able to shift us to an OV room (albeit on deck 1) for the rest of the cruise. If they hadn't shifted us, we'd have been out of there!

All night long, with the clanging of pots and pans, interspersed with occasional bouts of the garbage grinder, and every so often, just for a change of pace, a cart of some type rolling over the grout lines in the floor tiles, "dunka-dunka-dunka-dunka....."

It settled down, finally, at about 2:30 am, only to start right back up again about 4:00 am....

That's why we'll never again book a "guarantee" cabin.

To their credit, they did refund the price difference between our balcony guarantee and the OV cabin we wound up in....

It really depends on where the cabin is -- when you say its under the galley.

There are door ways that will not have the noise that will happen if you are under the middle of the galley.

This is what I was thinking as well. But to be on the safe side, if it can be avoided I really would if I could.

Think about what goes on in a galley. Have you ever ate in a restaurant where you can see into the kitchen? People drop things, people are loud, etc...

And, honestly when the kitchen workers are busy cleaning you can't expect them to tip toe around either. They are hard at work and busy! They are not going to be concerned about being quiet. Im sure they are laughing, talking doing what they can to keep the time passing while they are at work just as you or I would if we were hard at work. It's not going to be a quiet environment....

We just returned from Liberty. We booked 2 days before sailing and got an assigned cabin at check in. We did not know our cabin was directly under the galley until we got to the room. The first evening we noticed noise but figured it would quiet down after dinner. No. It went on all night long. Loud banging, dragging, grinding, odd noises that sounded like they were doing construction. At 4am I had enough and walked down to guest services. They apologized and stated others had also complained and he would notify the galley supervisor. It was quiet the rest of the night...well what was left of the night. In the morning we got a call again apologizing and stating we would be moved to another cabin. I don't understand why they sell rooms that have that much noise. Are they hoping some people will just suffer and not complain? Even though we didn't ask to change cabins, there was no way I could have slept another night in that cabin if that racket continued.

We just returned from Liberty. We booked 2 days before sailing and got an assigned cabin at check in. We did not know our cabin was directly under the galley until we got to the room. The first evening we noticed noise but figured it would quiet down after dinner. No. It went on all night long. Loud banging, dragging, grinding, odd noises that sounded like they were doing construction. At 4am I had enough and walked down to guest services. They apologized and stated others had also complained and he would notify the galley supervisor. It was quiet the rest of the night...well what was left of the night. In the morning we got a call again apologizing and stating we would be moved to another cabin. I don't understand why they sell rooms that have that much noise. Are they hoping some people will just suffer and not complain? Even though we didn't ask to change cabins, there was no way I could have slept another night in that cabin if that racket continued.

Why do you think you got such a good deal on your cabin? If the ship was full, you would have been stuck in that guarantee cabin without any type of refund without invoking the Vacation Guarantee and getting off the ship.

Doesn't matter when you book a cabin or how much you pay. Your still entitled to the same service level as everyone else.

QUOTE=Elaine5715;44482793]Why do you think you got such a good deal on your cabin? If the ship was full, you would have been stuck in that guarantee cabin without any type of refund without invoking the Vacation Guarantee and getting off the ship.

Now I'm worried. I'm in 2424 on the Breeze. Kind of hard to tell what's directly above us. Could be the galley, could be a doorway, could be part of the dining room.. :eek:

I would say call and ask. Someone may know the deck plans better than we do, but you never know. Did you book a guarantee? Can you ask to move? If you are worried you can ask to move if you are not a guarantee.

Doesn't matter when you book a cabin or how much you pay. Your still entitled to the same service level as everyone else.

QUOTE=Elaine5715;44482793]Why do you think you got such a good deal on your cabin? If the ship was full, you would have been stuck in that guarantee cabin without any type of refund without invoking the Vacation Guarantee and getting off the ship.

Ship noise is to be expected. Different locations hear different noises. No one is promised silence, ask those on Alaskan cruises. Cabin prices are effected by ship location. Less expensive cabins are subject to more noise. Guest Services will not simply move you from underneath the gallery if that's the cabin you paid for, they may just offer you ear plugs.

I guess some people just like to hear themselves be snarky. The question was is there noise under the galley. The answer from me was yes and I simply shared our experience. And we never asked for another cabin by the way. Cant discussions stay on topic without someone getting on a soap box? Geez

QUOTE=Elaine5715;44490014]

Ship noise is to be expected. Different locations hear different noises. No one is promised silence, ask those on Alaskan cruises. Cabin prices are effected by ship location. Less expensive cabins are subject to more noise. Guest Services will not simply move you from underneath the gallery if that's the cabin you paid for, they may just offer you ear plugs.

I don't understand why they sell rooms that have that much noise. Are they hoping some people will just suffer and not complain?

Some people, like me and my wife, sleep right through it. We hear it but we have our white noise fan and can sleep through pretty much anything, even the overhead annoucements in the hallways or directly in the room.

No suffering involved...

I guess some people just like to hear themselves be snarky. The question was is there noise under the galley. The answer from me was yes and I simply shared our experience. And we never asked for another cabin by the way. Cant discussions stay on topic without someone getting on a soap box? Geez

QUOTE=Elaine5715;44490014]

I was on topic and shared my experience.

It really depends on where the cabin is -- when you say its under the galley.

There are door ways that will not have the noise that will happen if you are under the middle of the galley.

I can't really tell exactly what's above me. Looking at the deck plans, it appears we're under a notch at the very rear of the galley. I can't tell if it's a doorway or a small corner of the galley. With my luck, it's probably the garbage grinder. :eek: In any event, I do have a call in to my PVP to see if she knows or if I'd be able to switch to a different cabin.

A big thank-you to all who posted. I appreciate the advice.

Edited by Valor2005