No beach, no boats, no alcohol

drmomsc

I know! Equals NO FUN :mad:

I have been to Cozumel many times. Loved Nachi Cocum, Mr Sanchos, and the ruins (Tulum and Chitzen Itza).

But this time we are going with my 70 yo parents. My mom does not like sitting in the sun for long times. She doesn't drink. My dad drinks, but will not get on a boat (other than the Oasis of the Seas and even then, he would rather not be reminded that he is out to sea.:eek:)

Being a sun and sand lover, it's hard for me to think of a good excursion. I think they'd love the ruins, but my dad will definitely not be willing to take the boat to the mainland.

Any suggestions???? We will have 11 of us- ages 7-76.

Rent a car or taxi and go to the ruins on Cozumel. Not as bug as Tulum but still a nice little adventure. There is some walking but is pretty low key. You could then drive along the east side of the island and stop for lunch at one of the places over there. Coconuts is fun and has critters for the kids to play with and shade for mom. There are some steps to go up (about 20).

That's a good idea. Maybe we can find a tour van to drive us around for the day.

Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There's a thread on this board "Hiring a Driver for the Day" Look it up there' contact information. Best way to see the island. He'll drive you where ever you want to go, ruins, lighthouse, east side beach drive by. Help you find a good local lunch spot.

Go to Dolphinarius show, let some of the younger people in the group do the dolphin experience, let the grandparents sit and watch. It is a covered area, so no sitting in sun. From there, go into town and have a great meal at La Choza, then shop a little.

Other suggestions include Kaokao Chocolate factory tour, Chankanaab (offers variety for all ages) or for a complete change of pace, f you enjoy cooking and eating, I would recommend "cooking with Josefina".

Cooking wth Josefina involves choosing a dish to cook for lunch, short walk to market to purchase ingredients and returning for hands-on/demonstration cooking class. Normally class is small but I think she can arrange for you to have a private group. Fun for all ages, or perhaps your parents would like to go alone, while the rest of the group do something more active. Check out this link with video or Google for more links.

http://www.cozumelchef.com/services/authentic-mexican-cooking-classes/

Other suggestions include Kaokao Chocolate factory tour, Chankanaab (offers variety for all ages) or for a complete change of pace, f you enjoy cooking and eating, I would recommend "cooking with Josefina".

Cooking wth Josefina involves choosing a dish to cook for lunch, short walk to market to purchase ingredients and returning for hands-on/demonstration cooking class. Normally class is small but I think she can arrange for you to have a private group. Fun for all ages, or perhaps your parents would like to go alone, while the rest of the group do something more active. Check out this link with video or Google for more links.

http://www.cozumelchef.com/services/authentic-mexican-cooking-classes/

A solo cruise friend of ours did "Cooking with Josefina" on our port stop in Cozumel and had the best time! :D

LuLu

If your parents like Mexican food, Poncho's Backyard in the Los Cinco Soles building (downtown) might be an option. It's quite nice and rather entertaining. A salsa band plays at lunchtime.

http://www.panchosbackyard.com

LuLu

My Mom, sister and I went to Poncho's Backyard for lunch and it was great! The food was very good but I was really impressed with my Mom's "combo plate!" It was quite a creation!

Chankanaab/Discover Mexico has replicas of the ruins...it was always my dream to go to the ruins and due to health issues the amount of walking involved makes it impossible. On my last trip to Cozumel I did the Jose Cuervo Tequila tasting at the Discover Mexico park. They had an air conditioned museum, the replicas of the ruins (with the full history...people have said they've learned more at discover Mexico than at the actual ruins) they also have these acrobatic dancers and food. They have another part called Chanakaab beach which is where I'm going this time (not sure what that's like). In our group there were people who did not drink and they just didn't go to the Tequila Tasting...I think they went to eat....I would recommend it if you have a lot of different "personalities" going ;) enjoy!