2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

The cruising health care worker wouldn't hear of the travel ban to self quarantine, they don't air negative news stories on cruise TVs..

Yes they do. I was on a cruise ship watching CNN International air news of the Costa Concordia accident. If the cruise ships were going to censor the media, I would think that would have been the news to "hide."

One of the reasons flu isn't as deadly as it used to be is that more and more people have been exposed to it and have some immunity.

Unlike flu, currently ebola is not an airborne disease.

Flu and ebola are both droplet communicated diseases, neither is airborne.

Flu is often thought to be airborne because the virus is spread through coughing or sneezing, but you need to be in direct contact with the droplet (about 4 feet) and have it contact a transfer point (mucus membrane, open wound) for the virus to have an effect you. The flu is transferred more readily than ebola through coughing/sneezing because coughing/sneezing are a flu symptom, while ebola doesn't usually exhibit upper respiratory symptoms.

In relation to a cruise, you can be in the same dining room as someone with ebola/flu and not have an issue unless they directly contact you, where as if the person has chicken pox or measles, their breathing can send particles into the air that can circulate for hours and you can end up breathing in said particles, and end up being infected by someone from the other side if the room. That being said, I'd prefer to not be in a room with anyone who any of those diseases! :)

Ps. Sorry about these long epidemiological posts. I'm fascinated by disease transmission and preparing for my first cruise in years, this Magic story is right up my alley!!

The cruising health care worker wouldn't hear of the travel ban to self quarantine, they don't air negative news stories on cruise TVs..

So you are trying to tell us they filter the news on CNN. Keeping in mind you can watch CNN on your stateroom TV. HUH!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

So this is all it took to get Lucy and Selucrey out of voluntary isolation. :D

I heard Lucy was loose and I had to come check. You see, I used to be one of her handlers before she was put away :D

And a cruise in 16 days helps too :p

Flu and ebola are both droplet communicated diseases, neither is airborne.

Flu is often thought to be airborne because the virus is spread through coughing or sneezing, but you need to be in direct contact with the droplet (about 4 feet) and have it contact a transfer point (mucus membrane, open wound) for the virus to have an effect you. The flu is transferred more readily than ebola through coughing/sneezing because coughing/sneezing are a flu symptom, while ebola doesn't usually exhibit upper respiratory symptoms.

In relation to a cruise, you can be in the same dining room as someone with ebola/flu and not have an issue unless they directly contact you, where as if the person has chicken pox or measles, their breathing can send particles into the air that can circulate for hours and you can end up breathing in said particles, and end up being infected by someone from the other side if the room. That being said, I'd prefer to not be in a room with anyone who any of those diseases! :)

Ps. Sorry about these long epidemiological posts. I'm fascinated by disease transmission and preparing for my first cruise in years, this Magic story is right up my alley!!

Would seem to be a fine difference, but in any case, it seems a vaccine for ebola would contain a dead form of the virus.

As for the earlier crack about bats, since bats have immunity, they may also hold the secret for a vaccine and/or treatment.

They don't let me out much Dan :p Miss you buddy!!!

I hear ya! I do so miss those good times with some of the best folks on the planet! Time to go find that old video and relive some good times :) FYI, we will be seeing PB Tom in a few days. He was asking about Randy/Ricky. I told him he got married and sort of threw the anchor out LOL!

Does Carnival require a health questionnaire to be filled out at port? Is there any thing on the questionnaire that asks if you have been in a medical situation with a potential health risk? I can't imagine the ship would allow that passenger to board with a yes answer, which leads me to think the passenger lied.

If she works as a lab tech or supervisor it's common to be around all types of diseases. If the lab was processing specimens properly the worker wouldn't have even thought she should say "yes" as she's commonly around all sorts of samples.

I hear ya! I do so miss those good times with some of the best folks on the planet! Time to go find that old video and relive some good times :) FYI, we will be seeing PB Tom in a few days. He was asking about Randy/Ricky. I told him he got married and sort of threw the anchor out LOL!

The video is in my siggy :D

Tell Tom hello and I am going to plan to see him soon! And yeah... Ricky jumped ship from all his friends. It's a shame :(

I leave in 2 weeks on the Magic and at this point, with no implications that the woman and partner are actually sick or have symptoms, I will trust that Carnival will do their normal STELLAR and award winning job of cleaning the ship and I will enjoy my cruise just fine. If the woman is showing symptoms or does in the next two days, I would expect Carnival to take the right precautions on whatever the CDC (most likely) would recommend. Either taking the ship offline to be cleaned even more so than usual or giving passengers a chance to cancel and/or rebook another ship.

I once caught a stomach bug from my dad about 10 days out from my cruise. I was 27 at the time and I was fully aware of the responsibility that I had of not boarding that ship should I still had symptoms of the bug in the next 10 days. Lucky for me it was a 24 hour bug and I was symptom free in about three days and feeling great in five. But I had insurance and was prepared to use it for the sake of others.

There are US coast guard helicopters in the Caribbean. St. Thomas the US Virgin Island is a US port and there are others.

They do evacuations from cruise ships all the time. There range is almost unlimited as they can in flight refuel. I have been on 2 cruise ships that have had a helicopter take passengers off in the Caribbean. Your 2 steps behind what can be done.

Where would this hazmat equipped helicopter have come from?

Is their range far enough to have come from a us port?

Belize wouldn't even allow the pax transported via medical transport via their airport

Am I the only one that thinks 2 steps ahead in this crazy world?

Oh and btw I am criticized for my clear thought process all the time

The same people who criticize me are suspiciously silent when I am proven right..... I know this how? I live with them. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find it mildly amusing that the headline on one website says the rest of the passengers are "stranded" aboard. Of course it stinks that they couldn't go ashore in Belize or Coz for no rational reason whatsoever, but I still wouldn't call them stranded.