2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

The best way for a regular person to help with the ebola outbreak is to donate money to humanitarian causes.

I made my donation to Doctors Without Borders months ago. I have the luxury of leisure travel, and luckily I have a little bit of extra money to make various charitable contributions.

For people to be complaining about how their vacations are going to be impacted by a disease that is ravaging communities in other countries is selfish. Take the $20 you'd spend on a round of drinks and donate to help save some lives. Every little bit counts!

I think it is naive to compare the Flu to Ebola. We don't really know how far Ebola could spread here in America. JMO.

We have a cruise on the Triumph in 22 days. Wife and I are considering throwing in the towel because of the very thing happening on the Magic. There are always Dallas people cruising out of Galveston. Call me paranoid, but I would rather err on the safe side.

Edited by daljettjockie

Neither you, nor anyone else, including the lab supervisor actually knows whether or not the lab supervisor was actually exposed to the Ebola virus.

Careful reading of the actual new stories would reveal that no one is even sure that the supervisor actually tested or handled Mr Duncan's samples.

In the space of 12 hours this story has gone from:

"Worker from lab that may or may have handled infected samples is aboard Magic"

to

"Two Possible Ebola Patients on Magic"

Your post is a textbook example of such escalation.

And the inaccurate part of my original question was what ?

Everyone was allowed off the ship in Belize except for 2 people... the lab supervisor and her travel companion. Let's work to not spread false rumors... the lab supervisor is 21 days out from POSSIBLE contact with specimens.

Who's spreading false rumors, you or me?

I read one thing, you read something different. Mine are rumors and yours are facts? :confused:

Who's spreading false rumors, you or me?

I read one thing, you read something different. Mine are rumors and yours are facts? :confused:

The news outlet that said the ship was not allowed to "dock" this morning corrected it within an hour.

"Belizean news reports stated that the cruise ship Carnival Magic was offshore after the government of Belize learned that a U.S. hospital worker on board may have been exposed to Ebola and that the Belize Coast Guard was deployed to prevent the ship from going into port. The government of Belize assured its citizens that the health-care professional “never set foot in Belize.”

A Carnival spokeswoman, however, said the ship made its scheduled visit to Belize Thursday. “Passengers were free to disembark there for the day other than the guest and her traveling companion who are in voluntary isolation.”

In its own statement Thursday, the the Belize government said it “was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola…. Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a U.S. request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Phillip Goldson International Airport.”

The passenger was also a supervisor in the lab, not someone handling samples.

In any case, hospital laboratories and other diagnostic facilities handles more infectious agents on a daily basis then many of you may realize.

A microbiologist, med tech, pathologist or other personnel handling samples have been trained to safety handle samples in order not to contaminate their work space or themselves.

Yes, there can be and have been lab accidents, but they are few and far between.

Stop the panic!!!

We are also far ahead of the inept handling of the first HIV cases in the USA where quarantine was not used for fear of infringing on people's rights.

The CDC and others have to adapt and change their procedures as more is known about the disease and its transmission.

Meanwhile, if you are cruising, wash your hands with soap and water and stop depending on the inadequate hand sanitizer solution that is so beloved of the cruise lines and passengers. The solution does nothing to penetrate a layer of dirt on the hands and is ineffective on viruses.

No problem, Bostonian! It's all good.

Can anyone tell me why they don't just test these people on a daily basis? Why are they waiting for the fever, which according to a much-linked LA Times article is not present (as the first symptom) in 13% of cases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am PO'ed about the CDC/medical response to all of this too. In this case, if the "facts on CC" are to be believed, the Magic pax was a supervisor in a lab at the hospital. She had no contact with Duncan. She may not have even processed the specimens. Her chances to be infected are as close to zero as mine. As far as the limited news on this goes, she shows no sign of any illness.

As to those that gave direct care to Duncan, I think they should have been "locked down" for 21 days with pay. They should have been in some form of house confinement to see if they developed a fever, aches, head aches, etc.. As to testing, I do not know if test prior to becoming symptomatic are effective.

Still there are no, zero, cases of Ebola outside of caregivers. Imnho, the CDC made that a more likely outcome by letting her fly home, but I am hopeful.

I just hope no one on my Dawn cruise gets sea sick and they find out he comes from Dallas!

Edited by untailored bostonian

Belize would not allow the ship to dock or anyone to disembark. They decided the health of their people took precedence. What a great thought.

A little extreme? To me, with this kind of dangerous virus, it is very reasonable!

And the inaccurate part of my original question was what ?

You posted this:

So, would you be ok with going on a cruise next week? On the Magic? And being assigned the cabin used to quarantine the health care worker exposed to Ebola?

When there is no evidence that the worker was ever actually exposed to Ebola.

I was actually about to book a cruise. Think I will wait a bit. See how well they enforce their rules on those infected. Especially now that a few hundred have been exposed by the nurse flying on Frontier air WITH a fever! I have no idea where all those peeps are or if they will be getting on a cruise ship next week. Sheesh, what a mess.

Some argue that it is no more contagious than the flu, but the flu doesn't have a 70 % mortality rate. Plus, if we could possibly stop this from spreading in the US by those exposed just staying home for 3 weeks, that seems like a big perk to me.

Not the strains we know of now but new ones are sprouting up all the time. People spread contagion all the time. It is impossible to monitor everyone every day.

I have the same probability of catching something at the grocery store, the doctor's office, the local school, and people I come into contact with everyday.

Belize would not allow the ship to dock or anyone to disembark. They decided the health of their people took precedence. What a great thought.

A little extreme? To me, with this kind of dangerous virus, it is very reasonable!

Only 2 people were not allowed off the ship.

"A Carnival spokeswoman, however, said the ship made its scheduled visit to Belize Thursday. “Passengers were free to disembark there for the day other than the guest and her traveling companion who are in voluntary isolation.”

In its own statement Thursday, the the Belize government said it “was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola…. Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a U.S. request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Phillip Goldson International Airport.”

I think it is naive to compare the Flu to Ebola. We don't really know how far Ebola could spread here in America. JMO.

We have a cruise on the Triumph in 22 days. Wife and I are considering throwing in the towel because of the very thing happening on the Magic. There are always Dallas people cruising out of Galveston. Call me paranoid, but I would rather err on the safe side.

In 22 days there will either be a case of Ebola outside the circle of nurses that cared for Duncan, or there will not. If not the chances of getting Ebola are ZERO!

FROM THE CRUISE DIRECTOR (just the facts)

John is great to follow if you don't already on FB.

John Heald

Just a quick update for you.

Late afternoon on Wednesday, October 15, we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. The CDC informed us that at no point in time has this individual had any direct contact with any infected patients nor has this guest exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection for 19 days since this guest was present in the lab with testing samples. We were not aware of this situation at the time this guest embarked the ship, and the CDC deemed this individual to be low risk and cleared to travel.

We continue to be in close contact with the CDC and our medical team continues to monitor the guest. The individual remains symptom free and is not contagious. The CDC has advised us the guests and crew on board are not at risk.

Due to a change in CDC monitoring procedures yesterday the CDC requested this guest be returned home from Belize. The U.S. government did make an attempt to arrange to fly the guest home from Belize yesterday, however, was unable to finalize arrangements with the Belize government. This resulted in our delay from departing from Belize last evening. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew.

It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and presently it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board until we return to Galveston on Sunday.

Our plan is to arrive in Cozumel this morning at 10:00 am and depart this afternoon at 6:00pm.

Cheers