2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

This Ebola scare is in my opinion being fanned by the new media. It is a shame. I hope this dosent effect the cruise industry. This isnt a carnival issue but will become an issue for all cruise lines because of the fear the new media is causing. I feel sorry for the passegner who is isolated. Like the nurses who flew from dallas. She was given clearance to travel by the cdc. Now she is being treated like a common criminal. I hope we as a society will take a step back and take a deep breath. Look at the facts not what talking heads are telling us. The news media are just trying to add fuel to the fire for ratings. Think about this. There have been 3 confirmed cases of Ebola in the United States. 3 people out of 300 million citizens. I feel safe with those numbers to travel.

That link shows the Magic's location Monday, Oct 13th. probably when she left Galveston not returning position.

VesselFinder has current ship status and movement. Check it out:

http://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9378486

As of this posting Magic is sailing away from Cozumel at 16kn heading to Galveston.

Thanks Richard&Philip for the screenshot. I was posting at the same time. Providing the link so people can see her progress.

Edited by Embedded Joe

FEAR FEAR FEAR......The passengers are not stranded....they were allowed to disembark in Belize & the passenger & companion have been quarantined in their cabin....even though she has shown NO symptoms of Ebola or fever & she is on day 19 after "handling" Mr. Duncan's lab speciman. The carnival ship is still following its Caribbean course & is due back in Galveston on Sunday..doesn't sound like an emergency to me...even though the govt. & media are purporting it to be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

FEAR FEAR FEAR......The passengers are not stranded....they were allowed to disembark in Belize & the passenger & companion have been quarantined in their cabin....even though she has shown NO symptoms of Ebola or fever & she is on day 19 after "handling" Mr. Duncan's lab speciman. The carnival ship is still following its Caribbean course & is due back in Galveston on Sunday..doesn't sound like an emergency to me...even though the govt. & media are purporting it to be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

Two port stops have refused the ship now. Disembarkation at Galveston is going to be a mess.

Everyone getting hysterical over Ebola should read this article: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/opinion/frank-bruni-scarier-than-ebola.html?referrer

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As others have pointed out, Ebola is not like the flu or HIV. It's still a relatively new disease that even the CDC cannot confirm it's transmissibility. All they will say is to date it's not known to be airborne.

Regardless, much like the Cholera outbreak in early 1900s, people were dying once they caught the disease. The key factor for most Americans is we don't want to catch it and more research needs to be done to know exactly what we are dealing with here.

Stop comparing it to the flu!

Edited by gone_cruisin

Carnival has a "Forum" section on their website.

In the Forum, there is a section that states "Currently on Board"

This is where loved ones can keep in contact with their loved ones a ship, free of charge.

I just read a few of them. YES....they are all aware of what is going on...talking about Cozumel turning them away, etc.

It did not seem like anyone was in a panic, as the loved ones at home, seem to be from everything they are seeing on the news.

The carnival ship is still following its Caribbean course & is due back in Galveston on Sunday..

Um...not exactly.

Looks like Magic just skipped Cozumel altogether. I wouldn't say that is following it's normal course. It appears Mexico is using some caution here.

The news cycle is a little behind the current ship location.

Love how I can't get an answer

What was the ships normal

Route?

Leave from Texas

Then where

Then where

INTINARY

The Magic left Texas Oct 12th. I think this is their route, but from the bottom up.

Sun Galveston, TX

Mon At Sea

Tue Cozumel, Mexico

Wed Belize City, Belize

Thu Roatan, Honduras

Fri At Sea

Sat At Sea

Sun Galveston, TX

Edited by untailored bostonian

There are US coast guard helicopters in the Caribbean. St. Thomas the US Virgin Island is a US port and there are others.

They do evacuations from cruise ships all the time. There range is almost unlimited as they can in flight refuel. I have been on 2 cruise ships that have had a helicopter take passengers off in the Caribbean. Your 2 steps behind what can be done.

So tell me if a ship is moored off of Belize do those choppers have the range? And if so could they get back to a USA base?

Just asking the right questions (which jumps me ahead 4 steps) before I presume that a helicopter from the USA could reach her as it is doubtful a foreign one would do it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Glad to see Carnival is not over reacting to this person with zero symptoms and making their scheduled stop in Cozumel this morning.

We have a discrepancy in the location

magic_zpsc2f496fd.jpg

I also heard this on the news that the "State Department" is planning her evacuation.

From Carnival Cruise Director's FB:

John Heald

a few seconds ago

Here is the latest news for you.

The Carnival Magic, which was waiting off the coast of Cozumel, Mexico this morning to dock there for a scheduled port visit, had not received clearance from Mexican authorities to do so by 12 noon eastern time today and therefore the decision was made to proceed to Galveston to ensure the ship arrives there on time on Sunday morning.

We greatly regret that this situation, which was completely beyond our control, precluded the ship from making its scheduled visit to Cozumel and the resulting disappointment it has caused our guests.

The Texas healthcare worker on board continues to show no symptoms of illness and poses no risk to the guests or crew on board.

The individual remains in voluntary isolation. Guests on the ship are being provided a $200 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 50 percent discount on a future cruise based on the missed visit to Cozumel.

Edited by bert425

We have a discrepancy in the location

magic_zpsc2f496fd.jpg

I also heard this on the news that the "State Department" is planning her evacuation.

Are you referring to the failed effort to get her back via Belize airport or is this new?

Wasn't the ship headed toward coz?

This info may be old

But if not

Good and take her straight to one of the 4 facilities that can handle this

But dear lord I hope this too is just a precaution and she/he is not ill or the poster just posted outdated info

Edited by luvtheships

Are you referring to the failed effort to get her back via Belize airport or is this new?

Wasn't the ship headed toward coz?

This info may be old

But if not

But dear lord I hope this too is just a precaution and she/he is not ill or the poster just posted outdated info

the update I posted is less than 2 minutes old:

ohn Heald

a few seconds ago

The Carnival Magic, which was waiting off the coast of Cozumel, Mexico this morning to dock there for a scheduled port visit, had not received clearance from Mexican authorities to do so by 12 noon eastern time today and therefore the decision was made to proceed to Galveston to ensure the ship arrives there on time on Sunday morning.

We greatly regret that this situation, which was completely beyond our control, precluded the ship from making its scheduled visit to Cozumel and the resulting disappointment it has caused our guests.

The Texas healthcare worker on board continues to show no symptoms of illness and poses no risk to the guests or crew on board.

The individual remains in voluntary isolation. Guests on the ship are being provided a $200 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 50 percent discount on a future cruise based on the missed visit to Cozumel.

the update I posted is less than 2 minutes old:

ohn Heald

a few seconds ago

Saw it as well. I was coming here to post it. Kudo's to Carnival for taking the right steps for the people on the cruise. Well done.

This is a very active forum, important to read to the end before posting responses ;). Outdated information can get very confusing.

Guests on the ship are being provided a $200 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 50 percent discount on a future cruise based on the missed visit to Cozumel.

That is a very nice gesture from Carnival. I imagine trying their best to get some goodwill as they are in a very unfortunate position in the media which they cannot control.

Handle what exactly? :confused: She has not tested positive for Ebola... she is 19 days out from being present in a lab where his specimens were. It isn't known if she even handled any of them. She has no symptoms and is not sick. Send her to a facility for what? :confused:

As usual, Carnival is being overly generous with compensation. :)