2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Carnival isn't currently offering any help to passengers who don't feel comfortable boarding. We leave 11/9 and I called today to see if we could move our balance to a future booking and was told I loose 75% because it's so close to the cruise date. Looks like they would make a special provisions. Guess we will see in the days to come. I should say in all fairness that had I booked "cancel for any reason ins" I would not be at such a loss. Any one else having better luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wait and see what happens when they port. See if they go back out. See what public reaction is after the next cruise. Be patient on this one. It might take care if itself

Me too, even though I like that port. And have a great time with the OBC.

I wonder how many people will be interviewed getting off the ship.

Personally I hope they interview as many as possible and within minutes of them debarking and I hope it is this weekend not 3 weeks from now when they debark

This scenario could very well happen but I hope it won't

It would be illegal not to.

I understand what you mean but what about letting them off but not letting them go home? Remember this is not a plane sitting on the Tarmac for 3 hours. And are there even laws to govern a ship returning with a possibly infected Ebola pax?

This is either the tip of a crisis or a massive overreaction

Just a thought don't get all nervous

Edited by luvtheships

to those of you who are choosing to be positive and to understand that someone working in a lab where infectious diseases are regularly protected thus leaving an almost slim to nothing chance of infection or we would have hospital workers in the US dieing all the time from all sorts of illnesses I thank you!

for those of you choosing to be paranoid I have already lived through all the hate and paranoia of the initial aids scare 30 years ago and am not enjoying this flashback. I hope any ebola patients get treated better and with more respect than anyone back in the beginning of aids...

I believe with all my heart that with this persons position she never thought she could have contacted it , hence the reason she took the cruise..so let's not crucify her..

I am sure carnival will do everything they can to do the right thing and that will make some of the people happy and others not so in the end i hope they will do what is right for in regards to the current facts which is we have a ship that at this point has NO ebola victims on it but is being de contaminated anyway. Thank you Carnival for being pro=active regardless of opinion! ok i feel better now:cool:

I can't believe some of the paranoia going on here. There is nothing to decontaminate:eek: She was a lab supervisor who may or may not have touched the vial. If she did, it would be with gloves on, like all lab workers do. These people deal with all diseases possible, that's their job. Don't you think precautions are the norm? They deal with AIDS but does touching a vial with a gloved hand give them AIDS? If it did, they'd all be infected. What about MRSA? They must touch a vial to test for it. What about staph infections? What she did or did not touch can't compare with the direct personal care that dealt with vomit, diarrhea, sweat.

Is the whole city of Dallas to be disinfected and avoided? What about Cleveland?

From what I read and hear from CNN, it sounds like Carnival and the specific ship's crew are doing what needs to be done.

Please, no person wants to ever be sick from anything, so please have compassion and empathy.

When it comes to caring for the sick, nurses, nurses aides, doctors, on down to the folks that take blood samples & clean up....put their lives in harms way everyday..........similar to law enforcement.

I salute and applaud Carnival cruise lines.

*I am in no way affiliated with Carnival.*

Thanks for reading,

EverQuest.

Personally I hope they interview as many as possible and within minutes of them debarking and I hope it is this weekend not 3 weeks from now when they debark

This scenario could very well happen but I hope it won't

People not able to wait for their 15 minutes have already been in contact with media. And keep in mind that ABC is owned by Disney.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-scare-creates-utter-panic-caribbean-cruise-ship/story?id=26276019

Before the Magic arrives in Galveston, actually in about 5 1/2 hours, the lab supervisor will have reached the 21st day and will no longer be a 'potential' Ebola case.

In all 30 plus pages of this thread I have not seen anybody mention that the strain of Ebola in the Duncan/Pham/Vinson cases has presented in 8 or 9 days. The lab worker was well past that timeframe (13 days when she boarded). 8 or 9 days is also the most common reported incubation for all Ebola strains. The statistical probability of the woman on the cruise ship coming down with it at this point is so low as to be hardly significant. The 21 days is the 'magic' number tossed around everywhere, but it is just a statiistic probability number. If she HAD been exposed (and we don't even know that) her chances of becoming symptomatic have been decreasing every day.

By the time the Magic is at port this should be a non-issue. The cabin will not be in use for a week (really only needs two-three hours if there HAD been active virus, but fine). The infirmary will be swabbed with bleach. There will, however, be continued hysteria and assumptions on the part of the pitchfork and torch crowd.

Edited by cherylandtk

I can't believe some of the paranoia going on here. There is nothing to decontaminate:eek: She was a lab supervisor who may or may not have touched the vial. If she did, it would be with gloves on, like all lab workers do. These people deal with all diseases possible, that's their job. Don't you think precautions are the norm? They deal with AIDS but does touching a vial with a gloved hand give them AIDS? If it did, they'd all be infected. What about MRSA? They must touch a vial to test for it. What about staph infections? What she did or did not touch can't compare with the direct personal care that dealt with vomit, diarrhea, sweat.

Is the whole city of Dallas to be disinfected and avoided? What about Cleveland?

Just don't confuse paranoia with asking pointed questions about potential outcomes

Hopefully the passengers are educated enough to know that since the passenger who is self isolated is still not exhibiting ANY symptoms, there is NO chance they could have Ebola. Considering when she went into isolation she had no fever, and no symptoms, there is literally NO CHANCE they could have Ebola... so, there's that.

Bwahahaha! Have you seen the comments on this thread? If the passengers on board are as irrational as on Cruise Critic, I'm surprised there hasn't been a riot on board yet :p

Before the Magic arrives in Galveston, actually in about 5 1/2 hours, the lab supervisor will have reached the 21st day and will no longer be a 'potential' Ebola case.

In all 30 plus pages of this thread I have not seen anybody mention that the strain of Ebola in the Duncan/Pham/Vinson cases has presented in 8 or 9 days. The lab worker was well past that timeframe (13 days when she boarded). 8 or 9 days is also the most common reported incubation for all Ebola strains. The statistical probability of the woman on the cruise ship coming down with it at this point is so low as to be hardly significant. The 21 days is the 'magic' number tossed around everywhere, but it is just a statiistic probability number. If she HAD been exposed (and we don't even know that) her chances of becoming symptomatic have been decreasing every day.

By the time the Magic is at port this should be a non-issue. The cabin will not be in use for a week (really only needs two-three hours if there HAD been active virus, but fine). The infirmary will be swabbed with bleach. There will, however, be continued hysteria and assumptions on the part of the pitchfork and torch crowd.

Totally agree with you.... But.....until she tests negative.....comes off the ship in smiles...etc. etc.

Can you really believe these pax are just going to do easy walk off?

Customs alone will takes hours or more

CDC for what they are worth will meet the ship

Overkill? of course

Alternative,,,,

Business as usual? Very doubtful and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that

Edited by luvtheships

QUOTE=Cruise life;44461385]This is where the CDC information boggles me. They say you cannot get ebola FROM someone sneezing near you, but if you stick your finger in your nose with a contaminated finger of your own, then you can get it. I don't see the difference as a professional. Contaminated snot is contaminated snot, and if it enters thru a break in your skin, your privates, or your eyes, mouth, or NOSE (AS THEY SAY IT CAN) it's a mute point if it was place there by your direct contact or via a blown chunk out of someone's nasal passages, eww, now I am leaving this thread, at least for the night. Considering the gear the "trained" ebola professionals wear it's pretty obvious airborne transmission is on their minds.

If a person with ebola spits on a surface and it dries you can't catch it by touching that surface, the virus is dead. People grow up, there is no chance of catching anything from this. It's hard to spread. i will take there room without a thought, give me a free cruise and don't clean the room. The cleaning and everything is just to make sure there is no wet surface from them its a to make you feel better, people that live with them don't get it, you have to touch there wet spit or somehow come into contact with there fluids

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I completely agree with you and think Carnival is handling all of this extremely well! I don't currently have a cruise booked however if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to sail with them tomorrow! I'll be looking for pack and go rates in the next few weeks because 1) that was already my plan and 2) there just maybe some good deals out there with all the cancellations from people worried about going on a cruise right now!!

I understand what you mean but what about letting them off but not letting them go home? Remember this is not a Abe on the Tarmac for 3 hours. This is either the tip of a crisis or a massive overreaction

Just a thought don't get all nervous

A massive overreaction. The people will be told to monitor themselves. They won't show any symptoms or be contagious for a while (like ever).

It is good they weren't allowed off in Cozumel. It will prevent a lot of hangovers and other alcohol related illnesses that some would be convinced was ebola.

You should be more worried about noro or flu before you worry about Ebola from this ship. I would sail her next cruise and not think twice. And I do believe that she is not showing symptoms and is not a risk to other passengers. Unless she opened the vials of blood/urine and bathed in them she is not at risk. At this point the hospital and CDC are playing a great game of CYA. Anyone who had anything to do with Mr Duncan is being looked at. I don't believe that handling tubes of blood, unless visibly soiled on the outside, poses a risk. She would have been wearing gloves and the tubes were probably bagged maybe even double or triple bagged. I am a laboratory scientist and handle tubes of blood from AIDS patients, people with Hepatitis, etc. We all take the necessary precautions to keep ourselves and those around us safe. It is the nurses, resp therapists etc that were in the room and dealt with the vomit and feces that are on the front line at risk of infection.

From what I read and hear from CNN, it sounds like Carnival and the specific ship's crew are doing what needs to be done.

Please, no person wants to ever be sick from anything, so please have compassion and empathy.

When it comes to caring for the sick, nurses, nurses aides, doctors, on down to the folks that take blood samples & clean up....put their lives in harms way everyday..........similar to law enforcement.

I salute and applaud Carnival cruise lines.

*I am in no way affiliated with Carnival.*

Thanks for reading,

EverQuest.

I agree with you completely. Kudos to Carnival for trying to do the right thing.

Just a question, if any one knows the answer, please let me know. I know the magic number is 21 days. But can the CDC come on the ship and get a blood sample from her. Get the results, before they let all PAX off the ship? Or does the lab test take to long to do?

We are so frightened, afraid, fearful, startled, nervous, panicky, alarmed, intimidated; terrified, petrified, terrorized, horrified, unnerved, panic-stricken/-struck, terror-stricken/-struck, horror-stricken/-struck, scared stiff, scared witless, frightened to death, chilled to the bone/marrow, in a cold sweat that we booked another stateroom TODAY on the Magic, Nov 9th sailing..:D

A massive overreaction. The people will be told to monitor themselves. They won't show any symptoms or be contagious for a while (like ever).

It is good they weren't allowed off in Cozumel. It will prevent a lot of hangovers and other alcohol related illnesses that some would be convinced was ebola.

Of course but that ship isn't going to debark in record time

Do you really think it will?

And I agree they won't have the virus

But they will have to do something

This has never happened before.

I spoke with Carnival. The health care worker is quarantined in the ships infirmary. I had the same concern regarding her cabin as others have expressed, as I am booked to sail on Magic this Sunday. Carnival told me the CDC has restricted her cabin for sale on the next cruise. Workers are supposedly disinfecting it.

Magic may or may not be able to sail based upon the response of the countries she is scheduled to visit. My wife's first reaction on hearing about this was "there is no way in h**l we are getting on that boat". Public reaction may cause her to stay in port. It will be interesting to see.

If you don't want your tickets, I'll use them for you. :)