Ideas for Rome

cruisemuse13

In November we will be back in Rome for several days before our cruise. During our previous visits, we have visited the major historical sites and are looking for other suggestions on how to spend our time.

I am thinking of a day trip to Ostica Antia (sp??) and also want to spend more time just exploring neighbourhoods in Rome. Are there any areas that are good for shopping with an Italian department store, or where local residents are likely to shop? I am not looking for the tourist shops but more of an idea of what it is like to live in the city.

Any other ideas as to how to spend our time would be appreciated. Thank you for any suggestions.

In November we will be back in Rome for several days before our cruise. During our previous visits, we have visited the major historical sites and are looking for other suggestions on how to spend our time.

I am thinking of a day trip to Ostica Antia (sp??) and also want to spend more time just exploring neighbourhoods in Rome. Are there any areas that are good for shopping with an Italian department store, or where local residents are likely to shop? I am not looking for the tourist shops but more of an idea of what it is like to live in the city.

Any other ideas as to how to spend our time would be appreciated. Thank you for any suggestions.

There are some posts as to what others have done re not doing Rome per se again on this board Ostica Antica being one of them. I have been to Rome quite a few times and I love just wandering into different areas just to see what's there if you get my drift.Have found some great little places to eat,shop,and just sit and people watch as well as some ruins people have just stumbled upon while fixing up a house or shop. The main shopping area (not the high end) is on and right off via del Corso which runs from the wedding cake to the Popolo. There is a great dept store just off the Corso that anyone can direct you to just down the way from the Sp.Steps. I usually shop there when I need something and they have great leather items w/o all the logos:) Have fun.

There are some posts as to what others have done re not doing Rome per se again on this board Ostica Antica being one of them. I have been to Rome quite a few times and I love just wandering into different areas just to see what's there if you get my drift.Have found some great little places to eat,shop,and just sit and people watch as well as some ruins people have just stumbled upon while fixing up a house or shop. The main shopping area (not the high end) is on and right off via del Corso which runs from the wedding cake to the Popolo. There is a great dept store just off the Corso that anyone can direct you to just down the way from the Sp.Steps. I usually shop there when I need something and they have great leather items w/o all the logos:) Have fun.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is the type of information I have been looking for.

I did try a search for older posts, but I must not have used the correct words to elicit the replies I was hoping for. I will try again.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is the type of information I have been looking for.

I did try a search for older posts, but I must not have used the correct words to elicit the replies I was hoping for. I will try again.

Back out of this thread to the main Italy one then in the upper right corner put in what to do outsife of Rome or any other think you want and threads will come up. I can't cut and paste with my browser on this computer or I would have sent you some threads. There is info there to go through. Or you can Google what to do away form Rome for a day as well.

1. OSTIA ANTICA and the ruins there are very spectacular . Easy to do from Rome indepentendly. You take the Metro from Roma Termini and change a few stations out to a surface suburban train that takes you to Ostia Antica a 45 minute trip overall from Rome . One Metro ticket covers the entire trip. Check Ostia Antica website and it gives full instructions how to get there from Rome by Metro and suburban train . Catering on site at entrance.

2. ORVIETO in the hills is just stunning a short trip out of Rome. Take Trenitalia from Roma Termini to Orvieto. Walk out front station and take the funicular up the hill . At top station of funicular shuttle bus will take you up to the village . See the stunning Duomo and climb to the top of a separate tower in the town for stunning views . On returning to the top funicular station dont miss St Patricks well on the left a wonderful piece of engineering .

Edited by kuldalai

1. OSTIA ANTICA and the ruins there are very spectacular . Easy to do from Rome indepentendly. You take the Metro from Roma Termini and change a few stations out to a surface suburban train that takes you to Ostia Antica a 45 minute trip overall from Rome . One Metro ticket covers the entire trip. Check Ostia Antica website and it gives full instructions how to get there from Rome by Metro and suburban train . Catering on site at entrance.

2. ORVIETO in the hills is just stunning a short trip out of Rome. Take Trenitalia from Roma Termini to Orvieto. Walk out front station and take the funicular up the hill . At top station of funicular shuttle bus will take you up to the village . See the stunning Duomo and climb to the top of a separate tower in the town for stunning views . On returning to the top funicular station dont miss St Patricks well on the left a wonderful piece of engineering .

Thank you for your reply. After looking at information about Orvieto we definitely want to go there!!

And I did come across the thread about "4 days in Rome" so that was helpful as well.

You said you visited all the "sites" but if you havent been to the Baths of Caracalla - go ! It was on my list for a number of trips to Rome but we finally got there last year. Its close in so not a whole day commitment like Ostia Antica. Many original mosaics still on the ground….. large complex but almost like a park. Take a picnic !!! Perfect.

Also Ostia Antica is also a great place for a picnic ! Lots of trees, grassy areas or even the amphitheater would make a nice picnic site. Allow plenty of time to wander this area !!!!

We are headed back to Rome for our 5th visit…… both pre and post cruise as we always add days before and after our cruise…… and we love to just explore. Best part of Rome !