Schipol shopping before security

Jldevlin

We are going to be coming in to Amsterdam from Barcelona after our cruise. We arrive at 5:30 pm and we are staying at the Citizen M which is very close to the airport. We do not really want to go into Amsterdam after traveling all day but I was wondering if we could just head back over to the airport to get dinner and do a little shopping.

I have been here twice before but for a longer stay with family so all my shopping was done long before I got to the airport. I know you can do lots after you go through but our plane leaves at 6 am so I dont think there will be anything much open and I would rather buy it the night before so I can pack it in a suitcase ... not that I think I will have any room left after 3 weeks in Spain and Italy....

I bought Heineken glasses years and we have broke a few so I would like to replace them.

Oh thanks for the website address .. why can I never find those when I look myself??? And it seems that there is more than enough to keep us busy for the evening ...we are hiding out there because I dont want my cousins to know we are in town for the night lol .. I adore my cousin but his wife is another matter..

Oh thanks for the website address .. why can I never find those when I look myself??? And it seems that there is more than enough to keep us busy for the evening ...we are hiding out there because I dont want my cousins to know we are in town for the night lol .. I adore my cousin but his wife is another matter..

LOL

I am having a similar problem ...trying hide in Southampton for 4 days away from DH relatives that he has not met yet ... ..they seems like yobs to me :eek:

Lyn

At Schiphol there are 2 shoppingcenters. One in the large hall on the arrival floor.The other one is after customs and pasportcontrol. In the arrival hall you will see a nice collection of shops, also on the visitor section (follow the signs promenadedek) on the higher floors there are 2 or 3 restaurants with view over the airport.

The one after customs is the taxfree area, which is after customs and pasportcontrol. You cannot acces that, it is only for those passengers flying and having boardingpasses. It has nothing to do re security at the gates.

Check this website and before and after pasportcontrol. http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/Shop/ShoppingSchipholPlaza.htm

Edited by Ine

We are going to be coming in to Amsterdam from Barcelona after our cruise. We arrive at 5:30 pm and we are staying at the Citizen M which is very close to the airport. We do not really want to go into Amsterdam after traveling all day but I was wondering if we could just head back over to the airport to get dinner and do a little shopping.

I have been here twice before but for a longer stay with family so all my shopping was done long before I got to the airport. I know you can do lots after you go through but our plane leaves at 6 am so I dont think there will be anything much open and I would rather buy it the night before so I can pack it in a suitcase ... not that I think I will have any room left after 3 weeks in Spain and Italy....

I bought Heineken glasses years and we have broke a few so I would like to replace them.

Heineken glasses are available on Amazon in many sizes. (The web site is saying "free shipping on qualified orders). There's no need to make a separate trip to the airport the night before and, then, pack glass in your suitcase. I'd certainly check out the Amazon option before I tried your approach.

Heineken glasses are available on Amazon in many sizes. (The web site is saying "free shipping on qualified orders). There's no need to make a separate trip to the airport the night before and, then, pack glass in your suitcase. I'd certainly check out the Amazon option before I tried your approach.

Well that takes all the fun out of it lol .... I bought them in Amsterdam 10 years ago and I wanted to buy more there but our time is short .. so buying them at the airport is as close as I am going to get lol . And they wont be in my suitcase for sure. But considering we have the evening with nothing to do and the airport is withing walking distance it is a nice way to stretch our legs after hours in planes and airports.

There is a nice selection of shops and coffee bars on Schiphol Plaza, the publically accesable part of the airport. Check it out here: http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/Shop/ShoppingSchipholPlaza/Shopping2.htm

I used to work at the airport, and not all shops on the airside (past passport control/customs) are open yet at 6 am. The usual perfume shop and Starbucks will be open, but some shops will likely still be closed. The website states that all shops will open 1 hour before the first flight leaves, but I know from experience that this is not always the case.

There are souvenir shops at airside that will have the Heineken things you are looking for, but the prices will be inflated. http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/Shop/AfterPassportControl/GiftsSouvenirs.htm

The nearest little town with reasonable shops is Hoofddorp. Shops close at 6 pm, only on Friday night they are open until 9 pm. In the centre of Amsterdam, the weekly late night opening until 9 pm is on Thursdays.

• 2 weeks later...
We do not really want to go into Amsterdam after traveling all day but I was wondering if we could just head back over to the airport to get dinner and do a little shopping.

A bit late to the party ;):

Very walkable from CitizenM to Arrivals 4 (the most nearby entry for the Plaza). "AH To Go" grocery (think Seven Eleven), Starbucks, bookshop when you enter Arrivals 4.

Further down and in the center of the Plaza are a 24/7 Burger King, La Place sandwicherie 24/7 and a pleasant La Place restaurant. A Dutch themed restaurant named Dutch&Delicous which was or is 24/7, a take away fish thing and some 24/7 bars like cocktailbar Juggle Juice at Arrivals 2, Grand Café Plaza at Arrivals 4, the must visit (closes at midnight) typical decorated Dutch Café Rembrandt at Arrivals 1. Book store with a decent English selection (also magazines) at the center, another one with a travel selection for your next trip at Arrivals 4. Also multiple clothing stores and a full size grocery store opposite to the Burger King.

Check your times if the promenade deck is open at night, where there is a small Fokker plane at display and for a great view of the airport. Also a large selfservice restaurant called Touchdown and a a la carte restaurant Dakota's on that same floor (3rd level, go up from Plaza level between Arrivals 1 and 2) but both close early (think 8pm?).

For the Heineken glazes you might want to try the souvenir shops, be aware that most shops close 8, 9ish, max 10pm except for the few 24/7 bars. Otherwise bribe the bartenders at one of the Heineken serving bars for a brand new box of glases ;), the must visit Rembrant Café serves Amstel beer.

My picks would be; stroll through the entire Plaza, dine at the large La Place self service restaurant or the a la carte Dakota's. And a beer at the Rembrandt Café. :)

Feel free to ask any questions!