Transportation from port of Tampa to Airport

mitsugirly

This will be our first cruise out of Tampa and we are looking forward to visiting some place new.

We will be getting off the Sun and headed to FLL and then on to Miami for our Sky cruise right after.

We were orginally going to just drive the short distance, but managed to score some free flight tickets and chopping off a few hours of driving time, we decided to just book our flights from Tampa to FLL.

So now I'm left to figure out how to get from the cruise port to the airport. (Our precruise hotel provides free transportation from the hotel to the cruise port, so I didn't have to worry about that).

Is there a transportation service like they have in FLL to Miami that does this for a decent price? (Like SAS or MJS). Or is the port so close that everyone just takes a cab?

Anyone know about what it would cost for a cab from the cruise port to the airport? There will be 2 adults and 1 child if that makes any difference. :)

A taxi will be your best bet. There is a flat rate of $25 for up to 4 passengers from Port of Tampa to TIA. You will see plenty of taxis at the port so no worries there.

Awesome. Thank you so much.

Van and SUV cabs are the same fare as standard cabs - $25+tip - incase someone in your party packs like my wife. The ride from Port to airport takes about 15 minutes.

LOL John, sounds like I may need a van. :D No really, I have learned to pack a little lighter with each cruise. 1 huge suitcase for each person and 1 extra smaller suitcase for the "necessities". But then again, we are packing for 2 weeks...so you never know. :p

Thanks for the info.

I too have the same question/concerns. We have an upcoming cruise R/T through Tampa. It'll be our first cruise from this port. Not knowing how smooth of an operation they have going at the Tampa terminals, and traveling with friends who may not be able to disembark as quickly as we can, has me concerned about the availability of van shuttles at the time we want to be picked up. (10AM)

CC mentions "Super Shuttle" and their website states they have reps and vans stationed at the port when ships are in. But I am trying to imagine a swarm of passengers disembarking (possibly from multiple ships) at the same time and having the same transportation needs.

Can anyone recommend a shuttle service that can be reserved for a specific time/location? I sent an inquiry to Tampa Shuttle, but have yet to hear back from them.

How many travelling together? :confused: A taxi is likely cheaper than any shuttle service that charges per person - unless you are solo. We've had 4 plus bags in a van-taxi between TPA and the port and the flat rate fare (ignore the meter) was $25 plus tip.

Even if you have a larger group, the first two or three cabs in line should be cheaper and quicker than trying to pile 8-10 plus bags into a single large van.

Forgive my wording, but the vans are used by shuttle services too. Thanks for the info on the van-taxi flat rate of $25 + tip, because I believe the shuttle services are about $17.50 per person.

We've only been in this predicament once before (directly from port), because we usually had a private driver picking us up or we stayed in a hotel post cruise. In Miami, we were transported to Ft Lauderdale airport by shuttle reserved in advance. They were literally standing there waiting for us. It went like clockwork.

So how does this work at the port terminal? Is there a queue line outside the terminal for everyone waiting for a taxi? Does it take forever? Timing is an issue.

Barb, there is a que line but it is very, very efficient. You'll gather your bags inside, and exit the terminal building (either handling the bags yourself or grabbing a porter if they're too heavy for you to handle). Right outside the terminal building there is a drive-thru area; cabs will be lined up immediately outside the drive-thru & are waived in as needed.

It is very smooth and simple; highly organized & very efficient, time-wise.

One last question for me that I just thought of...

Time is NOT an issue for us since we have a later flight in the day (1:30pm), so we intended on staying on the ship as long as we can (or until they quick us off screaming and crying :D).

Is it my understanding that the airport is only about 15 minutes from the port? Will there still be plenty of cabs to take us to the airport, say around 10am or so? :confused:

Barb, there is a que line but it is very, very efficient. You'll gather your bags inside, and exit the terminal building (either handling the bags yourself or grabbing a porter if they're too heavy for you to handle). Right outside the terminal building there is a drive-thru area; cabs will be lined up immediately outside the drive-thru & are waived in as needed.

It is very smooth and simple; highly organized & very efficient, time-wise.

Thanks for easing my mind! :)

One last question for me that I just thought of...

Time is NOT an issue for us since we have a later flight in the day (1:30pm), so we intended on staying on the ship as long as we can (or until they quick us off screaming and crying :D).

Is it my understanding that the airport is only about 15 minutes from the port? Will there still be plenty of cabs to take us to the airport, say around 10am or so? :confused:

The cabs will keep coming as long as passengers are departing, plus other cabs will be bringing passengers to the port - you should not have any issues.

Further up the page I saw that taxis charge a flat rate of $25 for up to 4 people, what about 5 people?

My understanding is that it is a flat rate per cab, with van and USV cabs priced the same. We've never had more than 5 in a cab in Tampa so I cannot confirm that based upon personal experieince.

According to this link from the TPA airport, it only describes a flat rate, not any limit on the number of passengers per cab (although if any in your grooup pack like my wife you may have trouble getting 5 plus bas into one vehicle :o)

http://www.tampaairport.com/ground_transportation/taxi_services.asp

• 2 weeks later...

I am sooo glad I found this thread because I was JUST about to book through Carnival where they are charging $20 per person from Tampa Port to TIA. That would be $60 for me my husband and son...why pay that when we can pay $25 + tips?!? This is our first cruise and of course you try to plan everything in advanced. We leave Dec 8th to Cayman Island and Cozumel. Again thanks! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just stopping by to provide feedback from our Tampa debarkation experience:

First off, debarkation was probably unusual, in that Tampa Bay was closed due to fog and didn't reopen until 6AM the morning we were headed back from our cruise. Subsequently, we arrived 1-1/2 hours later than expected.

Naturally that rolled downhill as far as travel arrangements for many passengers; not just NCL but other cruise lines as well. Albeit due to late arrival or the debarkation of choice in general, it appeared as if a very large percentage of passengers chose to walk-off with their luggage.

Unfortunately we were affected too, because our flight was scheduled to depart at 11:25AM. Since Priority Debarkation didn't commence until 10:30AM and TSA requires luggage to be checked no later than 45 minutes before departure, we knew right off the bat we would have to alter our air travel. However such had to be deferred until 30 minutes prior to our scheduled departure. By the time all was said and done, we ended up with a direct flight at 6:09PM. Made for a long day at the airport!

That said, we were the first passengers to debark with yellow tags. Despite following a vast amount of passengers, our debarkation went very smoothly, especially with a porter in tow for all 4 in our party. We located our luggage quickly. The porter line through customs was short. Then once we reached the taxi queue line, there were only 3 groups ahead of us and we were on our way to the airport by 10:45AM. So in summary, Tampa debarkation did indeed appear to be well organized.

The key information I want to leave you with regards the taxi rate. Yes, the sign at the taxi queue line clearly stated $25 flat rate to the airport. However, once inside the taxi, we advised the driver we wanted to go to the US Airways terminal and the United Airlines terminal. He immediately said, "Then the fee is $10 per person". We shook our heads in dismay, but weren't about to jump out and seek alternate transportation. Then even though both airlines were side by side at the SAME TERMINAL and we all exited the taxi together, the driver still insisted upon $10 per person. RIPOFF! So since we usually tip the driver as well, we simply gave him $40 WITHOUT a tip.

I would have taken a photo of his license and cab #, handed him $25 and invited him to call a cop if he thought the fare was not correct - do not let the few corrupt cab drivers bully you into paying up. :(

Same thing happened to us in Tampa port Saturday. It was just my sister and me w/ 3 pieces of luggage. She was going to Southwest and I was flying from Jet Blue.

We got in the cab, he started driving as we told him where we had to go--he freaked out saying it was more money because he had 2 stops at the airport and it had to be treated as such because " S.W. terminal was across the street from J.B. and further out. ". I was p..ssed!. My sister "negotiated" a price for $30, instead of the $25. (Left him no tip.) He had wanted more. I got out 1st---she said she was the next terminal!

She said he just dumped her suitcase IN THE STREET in front of the terminal and took off.

This has never happened before and sure left a bad impression of the Tampa cab system.

Same thing happened to us in Tampa port Saturday. It was just my sister and me w/ 3 pieces of luggage. She was going to Southwest and I was flying from Jet Blue.

We got in the cab, he started driving as we told him where we had to go--he freaked out saying it was more money because he had 2 stops at the airport and it had to be treated as such because " S.W. terminal was across the street from J.B. and further out. ". I was p..ssed!. My sister "negotiated" a price for $30, instead of the $25. (Left him no tip.) He had wanted more. I got out 1st---she said she was the next terminal!

She said he just dumped her suitcase IN THE STREET in front of the terminal and took off.

This has never happened before and sure left a bad impression of the Tampa cab system.

I am very sorry to hear you experienced the same. It is still a flat rate of $25. I am in the process of filing a complaint.

There are two taxi services handling that taxi queue at port. We didn't have time to pull out our cells to get a picture, but we did record the taxi number and just confirmed it with Yellow Taxi. It may be too late to hope for a refund, but at least they should know which drivers are probably pocketing extra money!

Taxi Companies Yellow (813) 253-0121 United Cab (813) 777-7777

Edited by AuntieBarb

• 3 weeks later...

(Our precruise hotel provides free transportation from the hotel to the cruise port, so I didn't have to worry about that)

Mitsugirly - not sure when you're cruising, but I'd be interested in what pre-cruise hotel you booked w/port transportation. Looking to book mine, bought my Mom a 5 day out of Tampa in January. This is our first time out of that port as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mitsugirly - not sure when you're cruising, but I'd be interested in what pre-cruise hotel you booked w/port transportation. Looking to book mine, bought my Mom a 5 day out of Tampa in January. This is our first time out of that port as well.

We already cruised. :D We were there last month and ended up staying at Tahitan Inn. It's not really a place I would suggest. :(

We already cruised. :D We were there last month and ended up staying at Tahitan Inn. It's not really a place I would suggest. :(

Awesome, thanks for that mitsu. That one was on my list of possibilities but had a bunch of mixed reviews. Glad to get your feedback.

Awesome, thanks for that mitsu. That one was on my list of possibilities but had a bunch of mixed reviews. Glad to get your feedback.

No problem. It probably wouldn't be as bad if you are toward the end of the hotel and not right BY the pool area. At least those that decide to use this place in the future will hopefully know that if you call the front desk to complain, at least they will shut it down. I just wished that I had called earlier in the night instead of waiting so long. :(