Insurance..Which Date Is Used ??

Ashland

I just booked a cruise (3 days ago) with RCI using a Next Cruise Certificate that was purchased onboard in Oct 2013...has anyone had any problem with purchasing travel insurance ( 14-21 day pre-exsisting & cancel for any reason window) as to what dates are used...when the NCC was purchased or was it from when this was turned into a booking ?

The day you made the booking or final payment date which ever is the latest.

Careful...!

It almost always "depends upon the terms of the specific policy", and there can be wide variability.

This specific question (of using "advance coupons from a cruise line") was recently brought up, and there were, as often is the case, a variety of "opinions".

However, where insurance is involved, "opinions" are not helpful, and could lead one astray.

I'd suggest calling Steve and colleagues at

TripInsuranceStore.com

I think he has written about this, including which insurers/policies use the "within 14-21 days of first payment = making the actual reservation" using such coupons, and which use the date the coupon itself was acquired.

Don't just read the comparison charts on the website.

TALK with them about this, as it may be extremely difficult to find in the finest of print.

It's also important to be clear on what type of coverage you want, such as not excluding pre-existing medical conditions, or Cancel For Any Reason, etc.

GeezerCouple

Careful...!

It almost always "depends upon the terms of the specific policy", and there can be wide variability.

This specific question (of using "advance coupons from a cruise line") was recently brought up, and there were, as often is the case, a variety of "opinions".

However, where insurance is involved, "opinions" are not helpful, and could lead one astray.

I'd suggest calling Steve and colleagues at

TripInsuranceStore.com

I think he has written about this, including which insurers/policies use the "within 14-21 days of first payment = making the actual reservation" using such coupons, and which use the date the coupon itself was acquired.

Don't just read the comparison charts on the website.

TALK with them about this, as it may be extremely difficult to find in the finest of print.

It's also important to be clear on what type of coverage you want, such as not excluding pre-existing medical conditions, or Cancel For Any Reason, etc.

GeezerCouple

I was hoping you would answer (I read many of your posts). I have talked directly with Steve a few times with other travel insurance purchases..but thought someone on here would have some personal experience too... I'll call Steve tomorrow...Thanks so much for your time and advice.

I was hoping you would answer (I read many of your posts). I have talked directly with Steve a few times with other travel insurance purchases..but thought someone on here would have some personal experience too... I'll call Steve tomorrow...Thanks so much for your time and advice.

Hi,

We've learned a tremendous amount on CruiseCritic, and try to contribute when we can.

I've encountered a few things here on CC that I thought were surprising (or beyond that), and have contacted Steve a few times to ask his opinion, so that we'd learn from other examples. (Even if "our situation" might not be exactly what it seemed another member was describing, at least we'd learn about "how to handle something" we hadn't thought about yet, but thought enough in the realm of possibilities to consider pro-actively.)

This was one of them, and in that CC thread, someone linked (I think?) to something Steve had written on just this issue.

Since we just began using these types of coupons (different cruise line), I got a bid worried, but we had just purchased the coupons AND the first reservation, so IF we misunderstood, it would more likely affect a future usage. But I did want to know, obviously.

It turned out that the insurer we are using *does* start the count at the reservation date when a coupon is 'used' as the payment. That made sense. But sure enough, apparently some insurers use the "starting date" as the date of purchase of the coupon, which could be months or years earlier - not good!

So definitely check with him again, to make sure you get the type of policy that will "work" in this situation,

(To me, "counting from the coupon purchase" is just a way for an insurer to have fine print that is likely to lead to an unexpected denial of benefits, and fine print that makes no sense. But what matters is to understand what the specific policy does or does not cover. And as good as I tend/try to be reading "fine print", there is no way I could presume to uncover some details like these!)

GeezerCouple