Advance Bookings for Spa and Restaurants

ElleninNY

According to the Oceania website you can book individual tours ahead of time. To cancel a tour you must wait until you board and go to the tour desk.

Joan

Have they changed their policy? I hope so. In December we were only allowed to book packages of tours before boarding which we did not want to do. We gave a list of tours we wanted as soon as we boarded to the Butler and was able to get every one we wanted.

digby,

On the website, you can sign on "already booked". After you register with your booking number you can purchase shore excursions using a credit card. From what I've heard, you are charged immediately. This is new to me also. On our previous Oceania cruises you could only purchase the packages of shore excursions.

Joan

My wife, with some difficulty, was able to reserve her individual tours (and mine too) last night on Oceania's website.

I say with difficulty, because initially it wanted to sell tours only in pairs - although we often go on separate excursions ashore.

We both think Oceania's website more difficult to navigate than some of the others, but neither of us are computer wizards!

Guest Jancruz

You have to keep close watch on Oceanias website..they are always adding new ways to book tours and other services on line..and will continue to do so..

Jan:)

Jan,

Will Oceania be booking spa appointments on their website?

Joan

I think that was something Oceania management had discussed last year, along with shore excursions and alternative restaurant reservations. This year, they've been able to add shore excursions and on-board gifts to the things you can purchase on their website - we'll see if spa reservations and restaurant reservations follow.

Logistically, adding spa and dinner reservations would be a boon to computer-savvy customers such as ourselves, but given the number of cruisers I've met who don't know what a Yahoo Group is or who have never heard of Cruise Critic, Oceania might get a certain amount of outcry when those people come aboard and find out that the prime dates (e.g., at-sea days) have already been locked up in advance!

In contrast, shore excursions and boutique gifts are things that can be sold in virtually unlimited quantities, and it might even assist Oceania in assessing which shore excursions are preferred by their customers well in advance of the cruise, allowing them to add capacity or to cancel excursions for lack of participation (on one cruise, unhappy cruisers found out only the night before that their excursion had been cancelled).

Allowing people to book reservations at restaurants or spas before they board would be a logisitcal nightmare; with people having a right to cancel, do you wait until all cancellation rights have expired? And, once again, Dr.Wong is right; there would be an outcry from those passengers who were not computer literate, particularly top dog Concierge class cruisers who apparently get first choice reservations on boarding early. By the way, does anyone know the true boarding time for peon class cruisers on the London to Stockholm sailings?

By the way, does anyone know the true boarding time for peon class cruisers on the London to Stockholm sailings?

Officially, 3 pm, but I've heard mixed reports whether non-Concierge passengers will be allowed to board before 3, given that the Concierge lines open at 11 and may be vacant at times before the rest of the passengers are allowed to board. On some sailings, they've been allowed to board, while on others, they've been forced to remain in their lines, even though nobody was in the Concierge queue. It might be helpful for recently-returned cruisers to share their experiences here!

Officially, 3 pm, but I've heard mixed reports whether non-Concierge passengers will be allowed to board before 3, given that the Concierge lines open at 11 and may be vacant at times before the rest of the passengers are allowed to board. On some sailings, they've been allowed to board, while on others, they've been forced to remain in their lines, even though nobody was in the Concierge queue. It might be helpful for recently-returned cruisers to share their experiences here!

I wouldn't object to a separate check-in desk for those in suites. But having non-suite passenegers have to wait like beggers to be let on their cruise is shades of Oliver Twist and really turns me off to Oceania. I just can't imagine paying all that money and having to hope that a crew member will be kind enough to allow us on the ship before the alloted peon time. Awful!

We generally spend a a few days pre-cruise in the city of embarkation and chose to board late in the day, so that we can enjoy as much of the city as possible. However, I have to say that I'd consider not booking Oceania for a cruise where I knew I would be boarding early. IMO, it's a real slap in the face and after paying for a cabin with a balcony on the 6th deck, I don't want Oceana's policy's to indicate that I'm a second class passenger in their eyes.

Jane

Jane:

Sounds like your main objection is that you're on the wrong side of the line on this particular aspect of Oceania's multi-class system. In fact, I think its fairly inventive; all of a sudden you have all these (mostly American) cruisers who think a Butler is a necessity to draw your bath and hand you a towel when you're done and in the SPECIAL butler class to tuck you in and maybe, if your English they'll bring you a Watneys Red Barrel and sing "Torremalinos", and then you have people willing to pay premiuns to get Sheets and blankets that Linus might DIE for, and have people stand outside your door at 5 P.M. serving extra special hors or'douevres that no one wants, and then if you're really special you get an invitation to have a special dinner with the Captain who has to take exstacy so he doesn't fall asleep listening to the passengers droning on and on... I'm fine with it myself. In fact, I think I'll downgrade to an inside cabin, wear a diaper like M. Gandhi, hang out outside the penthouse suites (this means you LOTS) call everyone Sahib, and earn some tips. So....Dr. Wong, what is the LATEST time I can board for the 10 PM sailing, if you know?

Jane:

Sounds like your main objection is that you're on the wrong side of the line on this particular aspect of Oceania's multi-class system. In fact, I think its fairly inventive; all of a sudden you have all these (mostly American) cruisers who think a Butler is a necessity to draw your bath and hand you a towel when you're done and in the SPECIAL butler class to tuck you in and maybe, if your English they'll bring you a Watneys Red Barrel and sing "Torremalinos", and then you have people willing to pay premiuns to get Sheets and blankets that Linus might DIE for, and have people stand outside your door at 5 P.M. serving extra special hors or'douevres that no one wants, and then if you're really special you get an invitation to have a special dinner with the Captain who has to take exstacy so he doesn't fall asleep listening to the passengers droning on and on... I'm fine with it myself. In fact, I think I'll downgrade to an inside cabin, wear a diaper like M. Gandhi, hang out outside the penthouse suites (this means you LOTS) call everyone Sahib, and earn some tips. So....Dr. Wong, what is the LATEST time I can board for the 10 PM sailing, if you know?

Hey....I need to jump in here! We don't NEED or DESIRE a butler. The only, and I mean "only", reason we take a PH or larger cabin is for the extra room it offers! We have done the smaller cabin at lower cost thing, and are at the point in our lives if we can't have a cabin we want, we stay home. And we are the ones who like our cabin and do spend time in it. So, unless you are being tongue-in-cheek, let us enjoy our cabin, even if a butler comes with it!!!!!!:) :)

Esther

The only, and I mean "only", reason we take a PH or larger cabin is for the extra room it offers!

These are our feelings as well. We actually find the butler a bit of a pain in the neck, but want the larger size of the cabin and bathroom.

Sharon

So....Dr. Wong, what is the LATEST time I can board for the 10 PM sailing, if you know?

Ummm, I'm the wrong person to ask. :) On one Oceania cruise we arrived at the ship around 9 pm for an 11 pm sailing. There was nobody left on the darkened pier to welcome us, so we had to tote all our suitcases up the gangway to the purser's desk to check in. On another cruise, we got to the pier at around 5 pm for a 6 pm sailing - just as Oceania's staff was packing up. The stern-looking staff captain greeted us by name as we approached the pier, telling us he knew our names because we were the last passengers to pick up our boarding cards. I guess those Austrians don't like to be kept waiting. ;)

Judging from the sign posted at the gangway for those going on shore excursions, they want you on board at least thirty minutes before sailing - sometimes the ship may have to sail a little earlier to catch the tide or on the harbormaster's direction. Which reminds me - be sure to read the gangway sign carefully before disembarking - the ship may not follow the daily sailing times printed in the timetables that come with your boarding packets!

Esther: Does the Butler sleep under your bed or in the overhead compartment?

Doc:

Once again, good advice; even when the times are posted people (usually younger) are apt to challenge the deadlines; in Barbados a couple of years ago I saw a whole group of people sprinting to their ship through rush hour traffic (I was suprosed to find there WAS a rush hour). Safety in numbers, hopefully.

Jane:

Sandbag,

Sounds like a good way to help pay for your cruise! LOL!

No I don't have any issues with people getting more perks for paying a pricier cabin (though with their philosophy, I should get more than those with just a window - but hey, that's another issue).

They can keep the butlers and the canape's. They paid more, they should have it. But my point is, to have people waiting on a dock because it's not their alloted time is insulting. And, no it's not because I'm on the "wrong" side of the equation. DH and I have considered taking a 8th deck larger cabin which would give us the additional perks, but I can't imagine travelling with friends who can't board with us, and are left on the dock for hours awaiting their boarding time. Not a warm welcome, IMO! :(

Jane

Archived