Best Price For A Cruise?....

I need advice from all you cruise experts! ;)

Ok, I know there are lots of things to consider when booking a cruise, and that cabins, destinations, airfare and departure ports make a difference in the price of the cruise.

That said, I am getting conflicting information about the best time to book and cruise and get a good deal. Some people have told me the only way to get a good deal is to book wayyyyy in advance (like a year out). Others have told me about "last minute deal" websites, and they have good prices too. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? I know I know..."you need to shop around".... but the prices change dramatically. How do you know if you're getting a good deal?

For example, I just recently took a cruise and booked it about 6 weeks out. Everyone was in a big hurry to book it the day we booked it (because we had cancelled another trip that morning and wanted to have something else lined up) and so I called RCCL and did it over the phone without shopping around .I have since seen prices for our exact trip for around $499 or $599/pp (and Im sure that's an inside cabin). We paid (and I'm really embarassed to admit this) around $1850 per cabin for 2 oceanview cabins, and about $1840 for an inside cabin on the same floor. (there were 5 of us on the trip) I feel like an idiot. But we had a great time!!!!!

So now we're wanting to book another cruise, maybe to Alaska next year, and I'm already seeing a huge fluctuation in pricing. I honestly don't know what is a fair price, what is a great deal and what is outrageous. Should I book now or wait for a last minute deal? And pardon my talk of cruise pricing- I know it's not very proper to be discussing what you paid for a trip, but I'm just confused and need a little advice. I usually have better manners than this. :rolleyes:

The people on CC are always glad to help others out and I was hoping y'all could give me a little advice. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks for listening.

We have always booked way ahead, usually when we're on a cruise, we book for next year. That being said, you just have to watch for price drops, coupons, senior discounts (?) My brother was like you. T/A quoted a price, he paid it, end of story untill I started watching prices for him. Saved him $1,600 for 2 inside cabins. As soon as you see a price drop, call RCCL or your T/A and they'll give you the price break. I like the idea of picking my cabin so I need to book early in order to get what I want. Seems RCCL has "happy hour" specials for people wanting last minute cruises. I'm sure you can get some really good deals but that just isn't for me. Keep reading the boards, you'll learn a lot - I did.

The best "deal" I ever got was on a repositioning cruise on the Celebrity Horizon for a last minute (3 weeks out) cruise from San Juan to Norfolk, VA. We paid $350 p/p total for a guarantee inside cabin and ended up in an ocean view. But we weren't planning to go any where and just came across it and took it! If you want to go to Alaska, I wouldn't assume there will be last minute bargains and I'd book it ASAP and watch for any price drops. I booked a cruise for next April/May of next year about 6 weeks ago and it has gone up $100 p/p so far and we are many months away!

It's a gamble, because both pieces of advice are correct:

Book in advance and watch for a price drop. You should be able to get the difference back, and if you don't then cancel and rebook where you saw the better price (if it's before final payment).

Keep an eye on things and book last minute deals. These come up usually within the window of time after final payment, about 2 months before the cruise. You don't always get the itinerary, ports and ship you want, so you have to be flexible.

As you research, sign up for the internet travel sites email newsletters. They will tell you when a certain cruise is on special. That's what I do, and then go to my TA for the booking. She can call RCI and talk about the price that is being offered.

I agree that using $100 a day or less per person is a very good rule of thumb. I use this as my guideline, too, and try to get an outside cabin for that price. I will break the rule for some cruises, however, that I know are more expensive. Our Mediterranean cruise in October is 12 days and a one-time itinerary this season, so it's more expensive, but still a good price. I found it exactly as I explained above: email, called my TA, etc.

Alaska cruises, I've noticed this year, are going on special a lot. They must have overestimated the demand and aren't filling the ships.

To be safe, I'd book the cruise you want, then watch the prices. If a better one comes along, then cancel and send the deposit over to the new booking.

Repositioning cruises usually are less, too. They are the first and the last cruise of the season.

Happy Hunting!!

I always check RCCL's website for "hot deals". The best deal I ever got was after 9/11 and booking were really slow. But I have gotten really good deals there. Once the cruise was only 6 weeks away and that was GREAT to not have to wait long! lol The one I'm on this year I booked several months out. Just keep checking prices!

Empress of the Seas 10/10/05

Mariner of the Seas 10/04

Navigator of the Seas 5/03

I always check RCCL's website for "hot deals". The best deal I ever got was after 9/11 and booking were really slow. But I have gotten really good deals there. Once the cruise was only 6 weeks away and that was GREAT to not have to wait long! lol The one I'm on this year I booked several months out. Just keep checking prices!

Empress of the Seas 10/10/05

Mariner of the Seas 10/04

Navigator of the Seas 5/03

Same as me. After 9/11 I was able to cruise for less than $75 a day!

I'm not a "cruise expert," but I did a lot of research before booking and this is what I think is going on....

The reason you get conflicting information is that, much like airfare, cruise prices fluctuate with demand. If a cruise seems to be selling out, they raise the prices. If there are a lot of empty cabins, they lower them (better to break even than to go with a half-full ship and lose money).

So, last-minute deals are great, but if the sailing you want is popular, you'll have to book far in advance. The ship we are taking Sunday has been sold out for a while and the prices 2 months ago were practically double what we paid in January. But, as previous posters stated, if you book early and pay attention, you will likely be able to get a credit for a price drop.

Barb

I'm not a "cruise expert," but I did a lot of research before booking and this is what I think is going on....

The reason you get conflicting information is that, much like airfare, cruise prices fluctuate with demand. If a cruise seems to be selling out, they raise the prices. If there are a lot of empty cabins, they lower them (better to break even than to go with a half-full ship and lose money).

So, last-minute deals are great, but if the sailing you want is popular, you'll have to book far in advance. The ship we are taking Sunday has been sold out for a while and the prices 2 months ago were practically double what we paid in January. But, as previous posters stated, if you book early and pay attention, you will likely be able to get a credit for a price drop.

Barb

Good theory. Thanks!

Just be aware that some TAs & internet sites charge a cancellation fee. Also be aware that some last minute deals are for NEW bookings only - even stating that if you cancel & try to rebook that you are s.o.l.

We're going on the Serenade to Alaska in 3 weeks and an inside cabin is now WAY more than we paid for our balcony cabin 9 months ago. I just booked a cruise for NEXT November because the price had started to climb already. I wanted to wait until I was on the Serenade, but already there are no suites and the balcony cabins were starting to get scarce, so I went ahead and booked. I'm still going to check cabin availability when I'm on the Serenade.

We do a lot of repo cruises and the great thing is that usually the 3rd and 4th persons are very cheap. The Jewel repo in Nov for 12 days the kids were only 299pp. Also booking early, in late May and early June the next years schedule comes out. We booked Hawaii on Radiance in the first week it came out for 14days for 4 of us at 4000. and our friends waited to book to a few weeks ago and paid 5500.

The Voyager repo we did in May for 8 days the inside cabins were 399pp and we had a balcony for 700pp. We generally use RCCLs site to book on and you must watch all the time for price changes. Also the prices are better sometimes when you book without air with them.

hope that helps

Brian J

Carnival offers the best last minute prices. If you can drive to a port and book a week before, then you can find fantastic prices. Otherwise, book early and then keep watching prices and read these BOARDS after final payment. Two weeks after final payment, and we just got upgraded from a balcony to a junior suite and got a $200pp refund on top of that. When I retire, I will be booking lots of cruises a few days before sailing because then I won't have to worry about time off from work.

Barb

I agree completely. Our next two cruises are waaaay advance bookings for us. We usually book 3 - 6 months in advance and get good prices. However, I watch the travel sites like a hawk (get their email newsletters), and the specials ain't so special these days. That's why I booked the itineraries I wanted in advance, and now I'll watch THOSE prices like a hawk.

It's a waiting and juggling game, for sure, sometimes to get the ship, date, and itinerary you want.

I have done alot of research on pricing. It seems that the best time is a week or two before christmas. My mother, brother, and I are going on a 7 night West Carib on December 16, 2006 in a Owners Suite for $3,500.00. We paid the same price for an inside room on the Explorer in July 2005.

Tips:

1) Book early

2) Book before Christmas

3) Book on an older ship (still great, but they dont have the awesome ROYAL PROMENADE)

4) If you can afford it, go for the Grand Suite of the Owners Suite.

Have fun!!

Archived