Oriana Cruise 09/10/14 - 23/10/14 - personal view

shallwe

Having returned from the Oriana last week, I have made my views known about the Norovirus outbreak on a previous thread, so will refrain from repeating that, although suffice to say, both cruises were hit by NV.

However, after careful consideration of the full cruise, my thoughts are that I probably won't be going back to cruising for the foreseeable future apart from the Britannia cruise already booked for next December.

I have been on two cruises, both on Oriana, the second one being because the first one broke down back in February this year (compensation cruise). It is remarkable how things can change in such a short time, especially the food.

Back in February we had what I would call semi-silver service, i.e. the meat and vegetables complementary to the dish were served on a plate and then the basic vegetables came in a silver dish and were served by your table waiter. This time it was fully plated and what a disappointment. The food was very basic, not particularly well cooked and the sames vegetables were on the plates virtually every meal.

Even the beef Wellington had a soggy bottom! The staff didn't seem to understand basic requests. At one lunch sitting my wife asked for a very simple salad from their salad range and asked that it didn't include any type of dressing whatsoever as she can't stand the stuff. Much to our amazement, the salad arrived with a dressing free green salad but with a huge dollop of potato salad (mayonnaise and all) as well as a large quantity of vinaigrette soaked red cabbage. Needless to say, rather than make a fuss she left it and went for a larger desert instead!

I had some mild stomach pains from about day 3 onwards that never went. It wasn't Norovirus as I didn't have any other symptoms. This curtailed my food and drink pleasure and consequently didn't partake with my normal gusto. I might add that I still have these mild griping pains.

My wife was adamant when we returned that that was the last cruise for a while, she really didn't enjoy it that much.

Have to agree about the food, especially the vegetables, not a patch on last September. I think the staff may possibly be forgiven for the potato salad and vinaigrette soaked cabbage. I suspect they wouldn't associate "dressing" with those two items. We enjoyed our cruise, apart from the main courses in the MDR and also the volume of two entertainments. It was unbearably loud. We are booked on Oriana next September, so hope to see an improvement back to where she was last September.

very nice call from P&O's team today to see what they could do to improve the food, the plumbling and the volume of entertainment in the Pacific Lounge. I explained my complaints and was, I think, taken seriously. ended up with a little OBC for Adonia next April which was not my intention. Let's hope they do something about it.

very nice call from P&O's team today to see what they could do to improve the food, the plumbling and the volume of entertainment in the Pacific Lounge. I explained my complaints and was, I think, taken seriously. ended up with a little OBC for Adonia next April which was not my intention. Let's hope they do something about it.

Good for you. That just says to me how good a company P&O are.

Yes I agree, I think they are too. They won't always get it right. It was our 6th cruise with them and there were problems. We still love the ship and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Didn't like some of the food and obviously didn't enjoy the norovirus, but put that down to unhygienic pax and not P&O's fault.