What to do: arriving to Nassau @ 1:30 PM, leaving at midnight in November

Quixotic

Ugh - I'm pulling my hair out. :(

When we booked this cruise, I had fully planned for us to do Atlantis day pass on our day in Nassau. Have been to Nassau a few times. It's our least favorite port and we have never been to Atlantis (my son's big desire).

Well - we arrive at 1:30 PM in the afternoon to port on Grandeur of the Seas (November 24).

So, in my opinion, Atlantis is a no-go. He wants to do the waterpark which I understand starts to close at 5 and is totally done by 6. For that sky high price, I want to arrive in the morning and stay/play all day. So Atlantis will wait until the next inevitable return to Nassau on a different cruise trip.

I have no clue what to do. Everything seems to bring me to the same realization ... get off the boat at 1:30ish, get TO our chosen beach hotel by 2ish (if we are lucky) and the day passes all expire at 5. Pretty short for the expense.

We want a low-key restful day.

Love the idea of the Melia or RIU all-inclusives but the price again is steep for such a short window of time.

We want to have dinner in the MDR back on the ship at our appointed 8 PM dining time.

We're not opposed to shelling out the money for a great experience, but just not sure what makes sense in this situation. We don't do shore excursions through the cruise line as a rule. ;) Also I have a party of 6 ... 4 adults and 2 kiddos (age 11 and 10), all of us are in good health, mobile, all that jazz.

Would love advice. Links most appreciated.

You might want to consider checking out Atlantis despite your time constraints. We were just there last week and did a day pass. While our hours were much better, I do believe that the slides were open past 5 pm. (We had to be back to our ship by 4:30 so I don't remember how late they said since we had to be back relatively early anyway). If you go on the Atlantis website, there is an option to do a live chat with someone... I did that back when I was planning and found them to be quite helpful. They can probably tell you the hours that the waterpark will be open on the day that you will be there. If the waterpark does not make sense because of time issues, you can consider doing one of their cheaper, shorter tours that they offer (that does not include the waterpark) and save the waterpark for another time. Hope this helps!

May I suggest your crew visit Ardastra Gardens? http://www.ardastra.com/ We were there in January, and after multiple visits to Nassau, we were so pleased to find something that was interesting, entertaining, and economical. It’s a good 10 minute walk; just go right when you get through the port building, keep to the road that runs parallel with the sea(there are sidewalks), and follow the signs. Good value for the money. There are many exotic animals- some of which I had never seen or heard about, and may be of special interest to the young at heart in your group. I thought the beautiful peacocks and watching the Flamingos put on their marching demonstration were worth the trip alone.

• 2 weeks later...
Ugh - I'm pulling my hair out. :(

When we booked this cruise, I had fully planned for us to do Atlantis day pass on our day in Nassau. Have been to Nassau a few times. It's our least favorite port and we have never been to Atlantis (my son's big desire).

Well - we arrive at 1:30 PM in the afternoon to port on Grandeur of the Seas (November 24).

So, in my opinion, Atlantis is a no-go. He wants to do the waterpark which I understand starts to close at 5 and is totally done by 6. For that sky high price, I want to arrive in the morning and stay/play all day. So Atlantis will wait until the next inevitable return to Nassau on a different cruise trip.

I have no clue what to do. Everything seems to bring me to the same realization ... get off the boat at 1:30ish, get TO our chosen beach hotel by 2ish (if we are lucky) and the day passes all expire at 5. Pretty short for the expense.

We want a low-key restful day.

Love the idea of the Melia or RIU all-inclusives but the price again is steep for such a short window of time.

We want to have dinner in the MDR back on the ship at our appointed 8 PM dining time.

We're not opposed to shelling out the money for a great experience, but just not sure what makes sense in this situation. We don't do shore excursions through the cruise line as a rule. ;) Also I have a party of 6 ... 4 adults and 2 kiddos (age 11 and 10), all of us are in good health, mobile, all that jazz.

Would love advice. Links most appreciated.

We are on the same cruise as you and are having the same debate about Atlantis. Our son is only 5, so most of the bigger slides he could not go on, so not sure if it's worth the effort. I did also look into booking a room at Melia - last time I looked, it was $150 or so for one night. I figured that would give us access to the pool, beach, and a place to shower before heading back to ship.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We are on the same cruise as you and are having the same debate about Atlantis. Our son is only 5, so most of the bigger slides he could not go on, so not sure if it's worth the effort. I did also look into booking a room at Melia - last time I looked, it was $150 or so for one night. I figured that would give us access to the pool, beach, and a place to shower before heading back to ship.

Melia used to sell "day rooms" for $99. I'm not sure if they still do. You try sending them an email to ask.

Melia used to sell "day rooms" for $99. I'm not sure if they still do. You try sending them an email to ask.

That is a good idea. I never thought about it we are traveling over Thanksgiving, and figured that they would be booked up. But it never hurts to ask. Thanks!

Years ago we went to the Bahamas and visited Atlantas, which is very nice. The nice part at that time, we could walk in FREE. I understand now that you have to pay or get a ticket just to walk into their lobby.

We just got back from the Bahamas on the 6th of November and we seen the Atlantas from a "distance" in the day as well as the night. I just took pictures and went on. :) I heard it was $60, and were not paying anything like that for what Atlantas has, or just to check it out.

Based on PP suggestion about day room at Melia, I contacted them and they provided the following details regarding their day passes. As you can see, there are also night passes and day/night passes. I know OP wanted to eat back at the ship, but this may offer an different option.

All day pass prices include access to our beach, pool and the use of non-motorized water activities. All day passes can be purchased at the front desk.

Please note that children prices are applicable to kids 12 years and under.

Day Pass Only (No food and beverage included)

$30.00 Adults

$22.50 Children

Day pass with lunch at O’ Grill (Includes lunch at our O ’Grill poolside restaurant)

$50.00 Adults

$37.50 Children

Day pass with Lunch at Market Place (Includes lunch at our Market Place Buffet restaurant)

$75.00 Adults

$56.25 Children

All Inclusive Day Pass Options

All inclusive day pass options include all food and beverage except for premium liquors and imported beers. Access to beach and pools.

Day Pass - 9:00am - 5:00pm

$115 Adults

$86.25 Children

Night Pass – 5:00pm – 2:00am

$125 Adults

$93.75 Children

All Day Pass – 9:00am – 2:00am

$165 Adults

$123.75 Children

Thanks for the update, RS! Did they say anything about day rooms? Maybe they don't offer them anymore.

They said day rooms are not available at this time, which could mean that there are not available this specific week (as it is Thanksgiving week and most resorts are booked up).