Antigua on your own?

lbt43

We did Antigua on our own with 3 kids in tow, we chose Darkwood Beach. Darkwood was absolutely gorgeous! It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The staff was friendly at the small restaurant and I never heard even one car!

It was the ultimate beach to relax at and enjoy the day. It was one of the main highlights of our trip. We were so sad to leave and go back to the ship

We walked to the bus station and took bus #22. It cost $1.50 pp each way. Bravo was our driver and he was super friendly and helpful.

Check out my pics. on this thread! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2100550

Also more info. and lots of pics here in my tr http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2131180&page=13

Edited by loveysbydesign

How difficult does anyone that's been there think it would be to do any of this with someone with a mobility problem? We find it best is any amount of walking that we use a wheelchair for my mom. Thanks for you thoughts.

How difficult does anyone that's been there think it would be to do any of this with someone with a mobility problem? We find it best is any amount of walking that we use a wheelchair for my mom. Thanks for you thoughts.

If you take a taxi to Darkwood you should be fine, getting to the bus station would be too difficult. There were plenty and I mean plenty of people there offering us taxis, vans etc. Just be sure to insist on Darkwood as they push other beaches. At darkwood you are dropped off right at the entrance of the bar/rest. and the beach/ocean is right on the other side of it.

We're looking to hire a car (4x4) for the day (with pick up and drop off at cruise terminal). Hertz are in pole position, can anyone recommend any of the local company's in particular? I've asked for quotes from titi, tropical and pineapple. Mainly to do the west coast of the island and nelsons and then possibly half moon if time but unlikely.

Edited by dreadnought101

We're looking to hire a car (4x4) for the day (with pick up and drop off at cruise terminal). Hertz are in pole position, can anyone recommend any of the local company's in particular? I've asked for quotes from titi, tropical and pineapple. Mainly to do the west coast of the island and nelsons and then possibly half moon if time but unlikely.

I have used Dollar in the past and they have delivered to the port or they will collect you and take to the office.

Just got back Sunday...stopped in Antigua for the first time. We got off and there were a lot of taxi/tour operators at the dock...with another couple we hired a taxi for a quick round the island tour and it was perfect!

His name is Brent, address is brentchristoper434@yahoo

Took us everywhere and gave us a great history/overview including a stop to taste the delicious little 'black pineapple'...

Highly recommend if you don't know about diy....;)

Just got back Sunday...stopped in Antigua for the first time. We got off and there were a lot of taxi/tour operators at the dock...with another couple we hired a taxi for a quick round the island tour and it was perfect!

Took us everywhere and gave us a great history/overview including a stop to taste the delicious little 'black pineapple'...

Hi

Thanks for this info. Could you give me a rough idea of the cost for the tour around the island.

Thanks

Debs

Would also like to know what you had to pay. And how long and where you all stopped???

TIA

There were four of us using Brent's Taxi Service and we paid $20 each for about 2 hours...I'm sure we could've done anything we wanted...stopped at beaches along the way, but we just wanted an overview of the island.

We did stop at a gorgeous beach and could've stayed for awhile...he took us thru, what felt like, the main parts of the island, historical locations and interesting sites...I'm not good on names so don't remember the exact places.

I'm sure, if you wrote him and told him how you got his info, he could custom design whatever you want.

We were two getting off the ship and met the other couple who were arranging this with him...if we were with people we knew we might've taken longer at the beach, though!:rolleyes:

I don't think walking in St John's is suitable for someone in a wheelchair or with walking difficulties. The sidewalks are narrow and uneven, and at some points just peter out. This means you have to walk on the road sometimes, keeping an eye out for traffic and dodging around vendors.

There were four of us using Brent's Taxi Service and we paid $20 each for about 2 hours...I'm sure we could've done anything we wanted...stopped at beaches along the way, but we just wanted an overview of the island.

We did stop at a gorgeous beach and could've stayed for awhile...he took us thru, what felt like, the main parts of the island, historical locations and interesting sites...I'm not good on names so don't remember the exact places.

I'm sure, if you wrote him and told him how you got his info, he could custom design whatever you want.

We were two getting off the ship and met the other couple who were arranging this with him...if we were with people we knew we might've taken longer at the beach, though!:rolleyes:

Hi

Thanks for this information.

We are going out in March and it will be our first time in the Caribbean. We have been advised by many people to avoid the ship's excursions and just do our own thing but we didn't have a clue on what the prices would be, so your info really helps.

Debs :)

Hi

Thanks for this information.

We are going out in March and it will be our first time in the Caribbean. We have been advised by many people to avoid the ship's excursions and just do our own thing but we didn't have a clue on what the prices would be, so your info really helps.

Debs :)

There's nothing wrong with the ship's excursions except they cost twice as much and you might be on a bus with 50 other people, and the tour only moves as fast as the slowest person.

Every island is different, but on Antigua, you are very safe taking the local bus less than $2 per person). Just make sure to head back toward the ship well before boarding time.

There's nothing wrong with the ship's excursions except they cost twice as much and you might be on a bus with 50 other people, and the tour only moves as fast as the slowest person.

Every island is different, but on Antigua, you are very safe taking the local bus less than $2 per person). Just make sure to head back toward the ship well before boarding time.

Hi Wassup

We have done a few Princess excursions in the Med and although they were more expensive it was the security of knowing they would wait for us if we were late back when we were travelling long distances from the port.

We are hopefully going with a more laid back attitude that befits the Caribbean. :)

Thanks for the advice about the local bus.

Debs

debs246,

We have travelled quite a bit, all over the world, and done our own tours never having an issue.

If you research carefully and make sure you use companies/services that are recommended by others, their business is based on tourism and cruises are big bucks in so many of these places.

It's in their interest to make sure all goes well and the private tours are always the best way to go, unless there's flights involved, of course!;)

Even in the rustic areas of Indonesia we've done private tours and had a much much better value for our money, and a better experience than the ships tours...many times taking the private tours covers as much as 2-3 different ships tours...

Just my experience...;)

debs246,

We have travelled quite a bit, all over the world, and done our own tours never having an issue.

If you research carefully and make sure you use companies/services that are recommended by others, their business is based on tourism and cruises are big bucks in so many of these places.

It's in their interest to make sure all goes well and the private tours are always the best way to go, unless there's flights involved, of course!;)

Even in the rustic areas of Indonesia we've done private tours and had a much much better value for our money, and a better experience than the ships tours...many times taking the private tours covers as much as 2-3 different ships tours...

Just my experience...;)

Hi J18

I must admit we are getting much more adventurous than we used to be and we don't have any ship's tours booked for our upcoming cruise. :)

Debs

Debs,

Take the chance. ..just as long as you lay out what YOU want and when you want to return....they're in it to make money....not to damage visitor relations!

But if you're going to a beach, make sure there's a way to get back.....In time!😉

Earthworm Jim, yes they take the fare in US$ on the bus in Antigua. We were there in early Feb 2015, and the fare was $3 USD for two people, each way.

Debs, we have taken two ship's cruises, and hated them. Fifty-plus people on the bus, and the trip moves as slow as the slowest person on the bus. By contrast we have booked ahead with local operators for small vans or taxis, at half the price usually. We can fill the extra seats through our roll calls. Eight or fewer people can move much faster than fifty people (with walkers).

My fall back position is I always have $100 USD in my deepest pocket. If the poop hits the fan, there will always be a local guy we can flag down who will get us back to the ship on time for a hundred bucks. So far, in about fifty excursions, I have never spent that hundred emergency bucks. And I still always carry it with me. Just my little insurance policy.

Edited by wassup4565

Another +1 for the buses. Was in Antigua last month, we got the bus down to Nelsons Dockyard then water taxi over to galleon beach. There were two buses arriving within minutes of each other on the way back. So cheap and you get to see the island on the drive down.

I took the #22 bus on Feb 23rd. Took it to the end of the line (Old Road). Then began walking back. The plan was to walk/explore till I ran out of time, then hop a bus back to town.

Old Road is on the south coast. I headed west and found Curtain Bluff and Morris Bay. Attractive beach here.

A rather mediocre slog led to Turner's Beach at the SW corner of the island. Nice beach, had a not inexpensive but professionally served burger at the restaurant here.

The walk up the coast to Darkwood is scenic. Following Darkwood I knew that I was running short of time. But on the road I was passed by a bus every fifteen minutes or so. So I approached some local women standing by the road and asked if this was a bus stop. One of them replied "Yes you can catch a bus right here", which I considered a very precise reply. We then rolled into town with enough time to visit the cathedral (St John) before boarding the ship.

This and St Maarten have a private bus system that impresses me as pretty reliable.

We followed the instructions we got from CruiseCritic - took the #17 bus to Nelson's Dockyard, wandered around, walked out to the fort, and then walked to Pigeon Bay Beach. If you are leaving from the Dockyard entrance gate, you need to know that you walk past "Abracadabra" (a restaurant) and then take the first road to the left, and then left again up and down a big hill to the beach. It's very doable and a very pretty walk. The beach was great and not crowded - I enjoyed that we were the only Americans there. And we had a good view of some pretty amazing yachts in the harbor. On the bus back, we had a great conversation with some locals about cricket, opportunities in Antigua vs. the US, and schools in Antigua. I am so glad we heard about this from this site - we had an awesome day for under $20 total!

We did a beach day at an all inclusive resort. Coconut Beach Club resort.

It included use of chairs and pallapas

2 kayaks

Their pool

Lunch

Drinks

Wifi

Covered patios

It was $45 per person (I think it may be $50). Cab ride was $15 each way. Maybe 20 minute ride.

I posted contact information in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2114088

Have a good cruise.

Thanks for the info. We will be in Antigua March 2016. I just emailed them for information- sounds like a great place to relax and spend the day!