Options if table for 2 isn't available

pens66

If you like conversing that much why bother taking up space at a table for 2 when in fact you want to talk. Leave the tables for 2 for people who don't want the meaningless conversation.

Have you ever been seated at one of those banquette booths with the little tables about a foot apart? They are supposed to be tables for two, but they don't work that way. I have never asked for a table for two, but I have ended up at those awful little tables. It's very awkward to ignore people who are a foot away from you. Next time they try to give me one of those tables, I'll holler to see if you are in the house and they can give it to you. ;):):p

Lucky you. We have had tablemates who have ranged from delightful to horrifying. We prefer not to roll the dice any more.

This is one of the things I like about ATD, you roll the dice each night if there is not a 2 top available, but at least if you roll poorly you are not stuck with them all week, and if they are really bad you can make up an excuse to duck out like say forgetting to take your before meal medication and come back in 30 minutes and roll again.

Have you ever been seated at one of those banquette booths with the little tables about a foot apart? They are supposed to be tables for two, but they don't work that way. I have never asked for a table for two, but I have ended up at those awful little tables. It's very awkward to ignore people who are a foot away from you. Next time they try to give me one of those tables, I'll holler to see if you are in the house and they can give it to you. ;):):p

Even though the table are close to one another it still gives the perception to most people that they don't want to have conversations with those around them. We always select tables for 2 & just a simple hello & then returning to the meal usually gives them the clue that further conversation isn't wanted.;)

Why would anyone take a table for 2 if they really wanted to talk to everyone around them? You would be seated immediately & could talk the ears off of your table mates all night long. :p

Even though the table are close to one another it still gives the perception to most people that they don't want to have conversations with those around them. We always select tables for 2 & just a simple hello & then returning to the meal usually gives them the clue that further conversation isn't wanted.;)

We were once in traditional dining at a table for six about 8 inches away from a table for two.

On the second evening, a couple was at the table for two. We said "hello" and many a few other sentences.

Even if they did not mind the few sentences we spoke with them that evening, they certainly could hear everything anyone said to each other at our table throughout the evening.

They never returned for the rest of the cruise.

Edited by caribill

Why would anyone take a table for 2 if they really wanted to talk to everyone around them? You would be seated immediately & could talk the ears off of your table mates all night long. :p

If the table is for ATD, yes, I can see your point. I have never done ATD. I have always done TD, and, yes, I've been stuck at those little tables more than once (against my will.) I always ask for a table of at least six, but when the MD won't move you, you're kind of stuck. I hate those little crammed-together tables, and I think they should just get rid of them.

Yes, the tables for two are very close on some ships (not the CB) but other than keeping the conversation at a minimum it also offers the ability to ask you waiter to speed up the service which is always to slow for my taste. If your stuck at a table for 6 or 10 they always try to serve the meal at the rate of the slowest person eating & if they're a talker you'll have to leave early to get to the show lounge.

When we started cruising in 1986 ATD was not an option. We have been on many cruises since then and stuck with Traditional even after the ATD option became available. Several of our cruises were with family members, in varying numbers, and those were Traditional, but with family. A few years ao we were by ourselves and requested Traditional at a large table. We were given a table for 4, and the other couple were the most boring people I have ever met. He was, incidentally a recently retired IRS agent and could not easily address any other topic. This really created difficulties because after the first day, when requesting a change, it really is pretty obvious why, plus the fact that we were continuously running into these 2. We really didn't want to openly offend them, so we stuck out. Then we discovered ATD and now love it. We have no problem with the side by side, banquet tables. As someone else stated it is easy to have, or not have, conversation with those around. I think they are ideal.

When we started cruising in 1986 ATD was not an option. We have been on many cruises since then and stuck with Traditional even after the ATD option became available. Several of our cruises were with family members, in varying numbers, and those were Traditional, but with family. A few years ao we were by ourselves and requested Traditional at a large table. We were given a table for 4, and the other couple were the most boring people I have ever met. He was, incidentally a recently retired IRS agent and could not easily address any other topic. This really created difficulties because after the first day, when requesting a change, it really is pretty obvious why, plus the fact that we were continuously running into these 2. We really didn't want to openly offend them, so we stuck out. Then we discovered ATD and now love it. We have no problem with the side by side, banquet tables. As someone else stated it is easy to have, or not have, conversation with those around. I think they are ideal.

And that is the primary reason you NEVER sit at a table for 4 unless you know who you'll be sitting with. It happened to us one time- never again. Sure there are loads of great people on the ship but if you get stuck with someone like you describe you'll never do it again.

And that is the primary reason you NEVER sit at a table for 4 unless you know who you'll be sitting with. It happened to us one time- never again. Sure there are loads of great people on the ship but if you get stuck with someone like you describe you'll never do it again.

We had requested a large table of 6, but we booked late and did not know we were at a table for until we boarded. The ship was full too.

We prefer a table for 6 or 8. Any larger than that and it's impossible to speak with people as the table is too big. A table for 4 seems very "iffy" as you could end up with people you don't care for (or you could be the people the other couple doesn't care for!). We had TD at a table for 6 going to Alaska and it was fine. Our last cruise we had a table for 8 but one couple never showed up and another moved after the first night as they were part of a larger group that had ended up being seated separately for some reason so we actually had a large table with only 4 of us eating each night. As it turned out the other couple were very nice so there was no problem for us.

We don't really need a table for two. We've been married for a very long time and have had a bazillion dinners for two. :)

Table assignments are made by the staff on the ship a couple of days before you board. They are not made by anybody at the home office.

I do not know how well any requests made to the home office are passed on to the ship.

That is true. On some lines the e-mail addresses for the Maitre D on all the ships is pretty much out there for everyone to use. On other lines some really sharp TA's have them, and keep them quiet. Also, the TA can go to the local Business Development Manager for the cruise line and ask them to intervene.

We used to love being at a large table. However, since so many people seem to think that it is perfectly acceptable to board while sick, we no longer do this. We have gotten some serious infections from our tablemates. In each case we know exactly who we caught it from, despite their assurances that they had been on antibiotics and were no longer contagious. Sorry folks, antibiotics don't work on viruses!

After consultation with our doctor, who advised us to stop cruising altogether, we came up with an alternative plan. He noted that we were never sick any other time except after a cruise. It includes table for 2 at dinner, never going to the buffet and coming in contact with the serving spoons, taking taxis in the ports and avoiding tour buses etc. It has worked like a charm and not even a sniffle after the 7 cruises we took in 2013 and 2014, even at the height of flu season.

After consultation with our doctor, who advised us to stop cruising altogether, we came up with an alternative plan.

He sounds like no fun at all. :) I think the spread of germs has more to do with hand washing than with sick table mates. Those people you were avoiding were still walking around the ship, touching surfaces.

BTW, we were just on a short cruise at a table for six, and we had a great time with some really fun people!

We prefer a table for 6 or 8. Any larger than that and it's impossible to speak with people as the table is too big. A table for 4 seems very "iffy" as you could end up with people you don't care for (or you could be the people the other couple doesn't care for!). We had TD at a table for 6 going to Alaska and it was fine. Our last cruise we had a table for 8 but one couple never showed up and another moved after the first night as they were part of a larger group that had ended up being seated separately for some reason so we actually had a large table with only 4 of us eating each night. As it turned out the other couple were very nice so there was no problem for us.

We don't really need a table for two. We've been married for a very long time and have had a bazillion dinners for two. :)

Couldn't agree with you more. Part of the fun of cruising for us is meeting people. Knock wood, we've never had awful table mates. We always request a table of 6-8 for TD. One time we were at a 4 top and the other couple moved, as in your case, to join the rest of their group. We went the rest of the week with just us at the table and, as much as I love my husband, I spend most of every day with him and neither of us talk just to hear ourselves, so the dinners were very quiet. We've had some breakfasts or lunches in the MDR with people who would have been very difficult to have dinner with every night, so I know it can happen. I don't think we'd hesitate to request a move if we felt the need.

On our Royal Princess cruise we were at a table for 8, and two of the passengers said they only ever eat at tables for two and said they would be changing right away. After the first night, they joined my family of 4 and the two others at the table every night but one. Guess they actually learned to enjoy our company. Sometimes it is hard to share a table with others you don't know, but you always have cruising in common.

On our Royal Princess cruise we were at a table for 8, and two of the passengers said they only ever eat at tables for two and said they would be changing right away. After the first night, they joined my family of 4 and the two others at the table every night but one. Guess they actually learned to enjoy our company. Sometimes it is hard to share a table with others you don't know, but you always have cruising in common.

It appears you were in traditional dining.

I suspect they tried to change and no tables for two were available. I also guess that they did not want to change to Anytime.

I suspect they tried to change and no tables for two were available. I also guess that they did not want to change to Anytime.

Let's go with the story that the poster and family were so charming, the table for two people just changed their minds. :)