Options if table for 2 isn't available

pens66

We requested a table for two/traditional dining, but realize that there is only a limited number. Besides eating with a larger group or the buffet, are there any other options available to us? We will be on the Caribbean Princess if that makes a difference.

Edited by pens66

You could switch over to anytime dining, then go either early or late. If you like the serving team you get, you can ask for them again on succeeding nights. This will put you pretty close to what you wanted to begin with. We had anytime dining on our recent cruise and were always able to get a table for two at dinner.

The only way this would backfire is if you decided you wanted to eat at 7 or something. Generally the tables are full until the early diners clear out.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Princess has such good casual dining options! We usually only eat in the MDR 3-4 nights. Their pool side pizza and Trident Grill for fresh cooked burgers and dogs is great. The International Cafe is excellent too, any time of day! We don't like eating at a large table either. So we always choose Anytime Dining, and since we like to eat later, around 8:00, we never have a long wait for a table for two.

We always get a table for 2 at late dining. Last year on the CB we had a fabulous table right by the window and it was ours from the get go.

We have had some awful experiences with Anytime dining on several lines. It is the main reason we don't sail NCL. Also, since we are GF it just makes it easier to have the same waiter every night.

We always check with the dining room when we board to see what table we got. We immediately ask for a change right away if it is not a table for 2. We eat in a specialty restaurant on Princess the first night (suite perk) and let the Maitre'd know. That gives him until the next day to find us a table for 2 if one was not already assigned. We have never had an issue getting what we asked for on Princess, Carnival or RCCL. We always ask for a "private table for 2" that way we don't get one of the 2 tops that is literally right on top of the next table. Best one was on Carnival where they took a table for 4 by the window and turned it into a 2 top for us. On Carnival I e-mail the Maitre'D with my request about a week in advance. (It also doesn't hurt to be in a suite or have a high loyalty program status to get what you want.)

Edited by DebJ14

We were on a cruise last February and tried anytime dining for the first time. We tend to dine later in he evening, 8ish or so, and we never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a table for 2. We liked it so much for the flexibility that we would never go back to traditional, unless traveling with a group, and even then I believe anytime could accommodate us.

We were on a cruise last February and tried anytime dining for the first time. We tend to dine later in he evening, 8ish or so, and we never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a table for 2. We liked it so much for the flexibility that we would never go back to traditional, unless traveling with a group, and even then I believe anytime could accommodate us.

We were in a family group of ten on our Baltic cruise in August and had no problem getting a table for anytime dining. We liked the table we had on the second night and were able to keep it for the rest of the cruise.

Sheila

We always get a table for 2 at late dining. Last year on the CB we had a fabulous table right by the window and it was ours from the get go.

We have had some awful experiences with Anytime dining on several lines. It is the main reason we don't sail NCL. Also, since we are GF it just makes it easier to have the same waiter every night.

We always check with the dining room when we board to see what table we got. We immediately ask for a change right away if it is not a table for 2. We eat in a specialty restaurant on Princess the first night (suite perk) and let the Maitre'd know. That gives him until the next day to find us a table for 2 if one was not already assigned. We have never had an issue getting what we asked for on Princess, Carnival or RCCL. We always ask for a "private table for 2" that way we don't get one of the 2 tops that is literally right on top of the next table. Best one was on Carnival where they took a table for 4 by the window and turned it into a 2 top for us. On Carnival I e-mail the Maitre'D with my request about a week in advance. (It also doesn't hurt to be in a suite or have a high loyalty program status to get what you want.)

Do you know anyone who has had success with this sort of request who does not have the exalted status you refer to? Does it work for mere mortals? :)

In our experience before switching over to anytime dining, many people do not dine in the MDR much of the cruise, we have been seated at 8 place tables before just to find we had it to ourselves half the nights on the cruise, and all 8 only showed up once the entire week. So even if you don't get a 2 top there is still a reasonable chance to get a private table. On the other hand if you go for a 4 place table you may end up with another couple that eats in the MDR every meal, so it is a dice roll. So even if you can't get a 2 top you may still want to take a chance on getting a table to yourselves in the MDR. For us this has worked out well in the past as we do enjoy a table to ourselves, but it is also nice to be social and meet new people from time to time.

Do you know anyone who has had success with this sort of request who does not have the exalted status you refer to? Does it work for mere mortals? :)

It worked for us a few years back when we were nobody.:) We have done Anytime Dining for years now, so don't know how we will fare in December. We booked traditional late on Crown because it's NYE and our experience with Anytime on Sapphire a few years ago was a disaster. I'll let you know how it works out now that we're Elites in a suite.;)

Seems to me if you want to get a table for two and that is the priority then you should:

1. Book TD for your preferred time, early or late. When you board, go to the dining room you are assigned to. Find your table. If it is a table for two. OK. If not..

2. Go see the Maitre 's. Ask for a change to a table for two. If he does it. OK. If not...

3. Ask him about a table for 2 at the other seating. If he has one, OK. If not.

4. Ask to switch to AT.

5. Call the DINE line and ask to make a reservation for a table for 2. If you get one, OK. If not....

6. Finally, show up at the MDR and wait until a table for 2 becomes available.

It works for everyone.

We never had a problem getting what we wanted even before we achieved any status levels on any line. But, then again we use a TA and she always seems to be able to work her magic with all of the cruise lines. She seems to know exactly who to contact on every cruise line.

The only reason I brought up the status issue is because some lines offer guaranteed dining preferences to the higher levels of their past guest programs. On Carnival, for example, if you are Diamond then your dining preference is GUARANTEED while Platinum level gets priority after the Diamonds have been accommodated.

Edited by DebJ14

Or, just enjoy your table mates! Eating with others is really fun, IMO! You don't have to become "best buds", but for an hour or two, the conversation is lovely! Maybe we're just easy to get along with, but so far, we've NEVER had table mates that we couldn't enjoy...some are more fun than others, that's true, but none have been offensive or anything we couldn't put up with! Plus, it gives us something to talk about later....win/win!

Or, just enjoy your table mates! Eating with others is really fun, IMO! You don't have to become "best buds", but for an hour or two, the conversation is lovely! Maybe we're just easy to get along with, but so far, we've NEVER had table mates that we couldn't enjoy...some are more fun than others, that's true, but none have been offensive or anything we couldn't put up with! Plus, it gives us something to talk about later....win/win!

Totally agree!!

We always ask for a table for 2, however, they are so close together its impossible to have any privacy.

We usually end up chatting with our neighbours.

If you like conversing that much why bother taking up space at a table for 2 when in fact you want to talk. Leave the tables for 2 for people who don't want the meaningless conversation.

It works for everyone.

We never had a problem getting what we wanted even before we achieved any status levels on any line. But, then again we use a TA and she always seems to be able to work her magic with all of the cruise lines. She seems to know exactly who to contact on every cruise line.

The only reason I brought up the status issue is because some lines offer guaranteed dining preferences to the higher levels of their past guest programs. On Carnival, for example, if you are Diamond then your dining preference is GUARANTEED while Platinum level gets priority after the Diamonds have been accommodated.

Well, this is very good to know! I would not have thought of trying to settle this issue before sailing, beyond the simple request on the cruise line website or over the phone when booking. And I had also assumed that a "good" TA (which I have yet to find... :() could work "miracles" in this regard. We will undoubtedly never have any particular "status" on any cruise line because we bounce around too much between lines, and do not (yet :)) cruise often.

Seems to me if you want to get a table for two and that is the priority then you should:

1. Book TD for your preferred time, early or late. When you board, go to the dining room you are assigned to. Find your table. If it is a table for two. OK. If not..

2. Go see the Maitre 's. Ask for a change to a table for two. If he does it. OK. If not...

3. Ask him about a table for 2 at the other seating. If he has one, OK. If not.

4. Ask to switch to AT.

5. Call the DINE line and ask to make a reservation for a table for 2. If you get one, OK. If not....

6. Finally, show up at the MDR and wait until a table for 2 becomes available.

I like your way of thinking: Step 1, Step 2... I will remember this procedure! (Perhaps someone could set it to music. "OK, if not..." is the chorus...:))

Edited by SeagoingMom

Well, this is very good to know! I would not have thought of trying to settle this issue before sailing, beyond the simple request on the cruise line website or over the phone when booking. And I had also assumed that a "good" TA (which I have yet to find... :() could work "miracles" in this regard.

Table assignments are made by the staff on the ship a couple of days before you board. They are not made by anybody at the home office.

I do not know how well any requests made to the home office are passed on to the ship.

Edited by caribill

Lucky you. We have had tablemates who have ranged from delightful to horrifying. We prefer not to roll the dice any more.

This is the main reason we always choose ATD.....have met incredible people...great conversations....lots of fun....and have made some fantastic friends....:) :)