Has anyone noticed a decline in butler service over the years?

rjm11

We enjoyed our first suite with a butler on the Pearl in 2010 and the service was fantastic. He was very available, anticipated things we might need/want, noticed what we liked/didn't like, etc. Really excellent.

In 2012 our butler on the Star was really pretty good, but not quite as memorable as the first one. He provided everything we asked for, but didn't really go out of his way for anything additional. Still totally fine though

In 2013 our butler on the Dawn was not as good- she seemed really frazzled, and forgot things- there were a couple things we asked for specifically that took follow-up, etc.

Then last weekend we were on the Pearl for the 3 night, and our butler was really not that great. We only saw him once (but it was a short trip), he only brought the afternoon snacks twice, and I called him to see if we could get dessert delivered to our room and he didn't answer the phone the first 2 times I called. Then when I finally did get him, he said that he "would try" but was really busy. He did end up bringing the desserts, but it wasn't easy!

I'm wondering if NCL has reduced the numbers of butlers on the ships so that each is covering more suites? We are on the Sun next month, and I think there are fewer suites on there, so maybe that will improve overall service?

One of our best Butler experiences occured on the Star in 2012. We were in an Aft Suite and he quickly realized that after a busy day at a port city we would arrive back late in the afternoon HUNGRY! After the first day he had sandwiches, cookies and chips waiting in the room for us and we had not asked for them to be delivered. He also set up a wonderful in suite party for a Cozumel sail-away with C.C. and other friends we had met on the ship. He was a warm and friendly person and had family in Jamaica that he was able to see every week while the Star did that itenerary.

We have only been on 5 cruises with NCL, each time in a suite ranging from an Aft Penthouse SF to the 2 Bedroom Haven to the Garden Villa. Every butler has been different. Some are warm and friendly, some are more quiet and reserved. Some do their jobs while others anticipate and fill a need before you realize you even have that need!

I will say that our last cruise we met a couple who were disappointed in their butler. They requested cream/half and half for their Aft Penthouse SF refrigerator and the butler told them they needed to get this from the buffet. When they asked us about this request being denied, we told them this was a simple request and that yes, the butler should have taken care of this for them. We later learned that this was a new butler and possibly was still being trained.

I would say that the level of personalized service from the Conceirge and the Butlers have lessoned somewhat since our first cruise in 2009. The amount of suites have increased with the addition of the aft deck 8 and 9 now being Aft Penthouse Suites and the only suites back then were the 4 "Romance" Aft Suites on deck 10. Also some of the Spinnaker Lounges have been modified into Suites. In addition, the Lattitudes levels were changed which possibly bumped some guests up into Gold/Platnum status more quickly and I "think" (please correct me gently if I am mistaken) they recieve Conceirge services or benefits that some of the Butlers may be helping to provide. Lastly, NCL can make any guest a V.I.P. and those guests may be receiving services from the Conceirge and Butler, thus increasing the workload.

We enjoyed our first suite with a butler on the Pearl in 2010 and the service was fantastic. He was very available, anticipated things we might need/want, noticed what we liked/didn't like, etc. Really excellent.

In 2012 our butler on the Star was really pretty good, but not quite as memorable as the first one. He provided everything we asked for, but didn't really go out of his way for anything additional. Still totally fine though

In 2013 our butler on the Dawn was not as good- she seemed really frazzled, and forgot things- there were a couple things we asked for specifically that took follow-up, etc.

Then last weekend we were on the Pearl for the 3 night, and our butler was really not that great. We only saw him once (but it was a short trip), he only brought the afternoon snacks twice, and I called him to see if we could get dessert delivered to our room and he didn't answer the phone the first 2 times I called. Then when I finally did get him, he said that he "would try" but was really busy. He did end up bringing the desserts, but it wasn't easy!

I'm wondering if NCL has reduced the numbers of butlers on the ships so that each is covering more suites? We are on the Sun next month, and I think there are fewer suites on there, so maybe that will improve overall service?

It's interesting that the first butler does a fantastic job, yet by the time we have a number of experiences with butlers that is just "seems" like things aren't the same as they were the first time.

The idiom that familiarity breeds contempt is an old one. It means that the more comfortable one becomes with something the more likely they are to see the flaws in that thing. For instance, a person's feelings about a particular thing can go from optimistic, to complacent, to spiteful without that particular thing changing at all. The day to day proximity to the thing results in a person's mind looking for ways to keep it interesting.

The idea that "familiarity breeds contempt" or "the honeymoon is over" or "the sheen is off of the apple" has been around a long time. Things often don't "seem" to be as good as they were "in the beginning". When you took your first cruise, everything was new. Now you know what to expect, you know the routine, and it isn't new and exciting as it once was.

We hear a lot of anectdotal evidence that things are different, but no examples, no facts, no evidence. Interesting that despite the fact that this is just a fact of the human condition, we have a hard time admitting that things just might not be as bad as they "seem".

I guess nothing beats the "good old days".

Yes of course I notice the service is not the same as my first cruise. But it is not isolated with cruising. Customer service everywhere has declined. Every restaurant I eat at does not have the customer service of years ago. Even car dealerships don't have the customer service they once did. I remember every car salesman was in a suit and tie and so professional. Now they wear collared shirts and kakis. Remember the customer service the airlines once had?

During this huge economic turndown the customer service took a deep decline. Every company was trying to make more happen with less. That is not a great formula for outstanding customer service.

It amazes me that it is common to eat at restaurants today and once you get your food the waiter or waitress never checks in to see everything is alright.

I don't think this is isolated to cruising. In fact cruising probably has not suffered as much in the customer service department than everything on land has.

Edited by david_sobe

We had our worst butler on our first cruise in 2009, so no, I wouldn't say that I have noticed a decline in butler service. As others have stated, butlers are persons with their own personality, some are good and some are not so good.

Edited by Demonyte

Yes of course I notice the service is not the same as my first cruise. But it is not isolated with cruising. Customer service everywhere has declined. Every restaurant I eat at does not have the customer service of years ago. Even car dealerships don't have the customer service they once did. I remember every car salesman was in a suit and tie and so professional. Now they wear collared shirts and kakis. Remember the customer service the airlines once had?

During this huge economic turndown the customer service took a deep decline. Every company was trying to make more happen with less. That is not a great formula for outstanding customer service.

It amazes me that it is common to eat at restaurants today and once you get your food the waiter or waitress never checks in to see everything is alright.

I don't think this is isolated to cruising. In fact cruising probably has not suffered as much in the customer service department than everything on land has.

I agree and feel this up and coming generation has no idea what we are talking about . " The Old Days"... Service was first before all other parts of business.. I had an example the other day . Called my bank because I need some assistance on paper work for a Bond transfer.

The young lady in charge of that department told me it wasn't really her job , that I should just fill them out and mail them in and "See what Happens".. The next day I asked to her to transfer several hundred thousand $ to one of my other banks... I felt my needs as a customer were not being met.. I wonder if She even put the two together ?.. ;)

P.S . We had one of our best Butlers just this past year... Sometimes you get a superb butler sometimes you dont..

Wow...You had me for a minute. I had to go back and re-read my post...I couldn't figure out why you thought I meant it only applied to cruising...especially since I didn't say that!

Of course, if the idiom is true, then it must apply to all different areas and not just to one, right?

Wow...You had me for a minute. I had to go back and re-read my post...I couldn't figure out why you thought I meant it only applied to cruising...especially since I didn't say that!

Of course, if the idiom is true, then it must apply to all different areas and not just to one, right?

Not sure what you are talking about. My post had nothing to do with your post. I was responding to the OP. I never read your post.

Has anyone noticed a decline in butler service over the years?

Well, I for one, or make that two (if I count DH) hope the butler for the aft suites on the Pearl in Dec. has personality, it's our first suite and I don't forsee us being very demanding but we always get along wonderfully with the cruise staff so are hoping for a pleasant butler.

If anyone has been on the Pearl lately and can warn me ahead of time if the butler for the aft suites is not one of the favorites I would like to know before we board so I won't expect much, that way there will be no disappointment.:eek:

People see themselves as the center of the universe and judge everything as it relates to them.

...another idiom in there.

Exactly. I am sure that the service has not gotten better or worse because I have never had a butler.

If anyone has been on the Pearl lately and can warn me ahead of time if the butler for the aft suites is...

This depends on the ship, but to my understanding on most ships the butlers rotate their assignments. So unless somebody asks in advance who would be assigned to your suite block during your cruise, there is no way of knowing if the butler assigned there now will be there during the next cruise.

This depends on the ship, but to my understanding on most ships the butlers rotate their assignments. So unless somebody asks in advance who would be assigned to your suite block during your cruise, there is no way of knowing if the butler assigned there now will be there during the next cruise.

Thanks for your reply, we will keep our expectations in check and hopefully will be pleasantly surprised, we booked the suite for the location so having a butler was just a nice addition to our cruise.

Ahkmed on the Dawn this past May/June was superb. I only had a suite that one time, so nothing to compare him too. He was very willing to accomadate any of our wants and needs. He and John d'Sousa the consierge were a wonderful team. I don't know what more we would want them to do and them not be in the way or too present.

Edited by NH Cruisers

We are in the Haven next week so I can answer better. But our butler on Jade in 2008 stunk. Did nothing for us and even when we had the rare request, he often forgot or it took him forever. I am guessing we have nowhere to go but up.

I don't think service has declined overall. There are excellent pockets in the service industry. We frequent Disney & the Sandals chain and I think, if anything, service has improved over the last 10-15 yrs. as for NCK specifically, we had the best service if any cruise on the BA in May.

I don't really think I've noticed this...though I've also become more efficient in communicating what is good for us, and what would go to waste.... but a thought is that they may be promoting people into butler roles in order to properly staff ships coming online.... so it may not be that there are fewer, but the ones who are there may be less experienced.

Butlers range from poor to excellent. I have found early and direct communication with a butler really helps them meet your needs. This takes out the guesswork for the most part. That being said, bad butlers do exist and aside from speaking to the concierge/HD about it, not much can be done except write them up so they improve or get demoted.

As far as the Sun, they only have 20 suites and two butlers. That is just about the NCL fleet average of 10 suites per butler.

We just recently had our first Butler experience so I have nothing to compare it to, although I do agree that the bloom falls off the rose over time, so I do judge my superb experience on the Epic differently than my experience on the Getaway.

I went the route of putting my requests in writing and found it interesting that some requests were filled to the extreme while others ignored, even though they were all easy and within the Butler's duties.

What I found most interesting was the perception of what made a good Butler. Our Butler seemed to always have a sad face, so much that I asked him about it. His reply was that he was trying to express a reserved, professional "Butler" demeanor. I just told him I perceived it as sad, and I would prefer a not so "professional" demeanor...We both had different perceptions and expectations...

We were on the Pearl in September. We had a cabin on deck 11 forward. My sister had a cabin on deck 10 aft. We had the same butler. That had to have been a busy schedule for him. We were not impressed (our 3rd butler) but my sister liked him.

In fairness we made no effort on our part to tell him what we expected and do given his workload he may have focused on those that asked.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We've never had a bad butler. We've had one we liked less than the others, but he did his job, a personality issue I think.

Each butler tends to have 8-10 suites. Some get run into the ground by the guests and others have it easy at times. We are usually pretty low maintenance for both the butler and concierge, but I noticed on our last cruise one family ran our butler into the ground with requests. They felt like he was there personal toy. One of their kids would call and order a soda delivered to the room, he would bring it, and then one of the others would "forget" they wanted chips, another run. He finally ran out of steam by about the third day and they complained to the concierge that they weren't getting what they paid for in their suite. I'm sure they stiffed him in the end.

I think some folks expectations are a little high at times. The butlers can help make a wonderful cruise, but you have to have reasonable expectations.