Sin City Comedy

mamamzee

My wife and I went to it in January. The first comedian on our cruise was old school (think Rodney Dangerfield). The second was much edgier and pretty good, mixing comedy with magic. The burlesque dancer was just that, complete with feathered fans. Fairly tame by today's standards.

I wouldn't take a child to the show, but it wasn't so bad that people were running for the doors. LOL!

When we were on The Solstice in 2012, the performance happened in the Celebrity Central Theatre (S-Class Ships) just outside the main theatre, and was called Late Night Comedy Show and happened after 11 PM. It was clearly advertised as an Adult Venue for this performance, and no one under 18 was admitted (a few threads here on CC about that and teens being asked to leave etc)

On our cruise it was certainly adult material. There were many jokes about sex... And some of them waaaay more risqué than others... In some cases words were not used outright, but the intention / innuendo was there for sex acts that lets just say are not missionary in nature !!

On our cruise the Comedian was hysterical... He had quite the following. His act was soooo popular that they changed the schedule from originally 2 performances that week long cruise to 4. And by all accounts all 4 were packed, with many people who went more than once.

Mr Sloop & I were not offended... But then we like Comediens, all types. The guy on our cruise was more risqué than Rodney Dangerfield... I'd say content was more like Joan Rivers, George Carlin or Robin Williams (live performances vs the stuff you see on Tv)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

It completely depends on who the comedians are.

X, I assume, like other ships, brings new comedy talent on board each week. When on Carnival Dream, they had a new comedian every night which was very impressive, but I believe X like Royal, has two comedians who do a nightly show, but that same nightly show is repeated each night.

While the content/material will be the same, each show will be unique based on the feedback/response/heckles from the audience.

These days, I find most comedians can't get through a comedy act without excessive swearing, but that will vary from comedian to comedian.

Expect the jokes to be of a sexual nature and expect off-colour language.

If you can't stomach that than avoid the show. Comedy shows are almost always 18+.

Most uncomfortable memory is watching a Russell Peters DVD with my mom and my 80 year old aunt in the room. We thought they would love the "ethnic" jokes. Turns out we picked a DVD that had an expansive set based on oral sex.:eek:

Gotta ask-- how raunchy is it? I know they say it's "tasteful adult" but I don't know what that means.

On our Equinox cruise it was not bad, but people did walk out. Don't know what they expected when it said adult content. No one was picked on in the audience.

The dancer was very tasteful.. not Miley Cyrus type moves.

Overall it was entertaining. Not great..Not Bad. Something to do at midnight.

Gotta ask-- how raunchy is it? I know they say it's "tasteful adult" but I don't know what that means.

On our 10/5/14 Summit cruise, the problem (in my opinion) was not with it being too raunchy, it was that the Sin City comedian had too much of a bitter/mean edge to him; We just didn't find him funny. He seemed to be bitter towards woman and hostile towards the elderly (who comprised most of his audience). He kept resorting to the "F" word, in the way many comedians attempt to make up for lack of humorous material. This was actually the only entertainment on that sailing that really disappointed us. The warm up comedian had good potential. The burlesque dancer did a tasteful strip-tease, down to her undies.

We really enjoyed the special entertainers and the Celebrity Singers & Dancers! The funniest performer was actually a singer, Mark Preston, of the Lettermen. He was an amazing singer, had fabulous rapport with the audience, and really was funny! He was able to joke about seniors & women without coming off as hostile (EG "next time I'm just going to find a woman I don't like, and give her a house"). We also found the regular showtime Comedian, Dan Wilson, very funny.

Another awesome special entertainer was Julie Reiber, a broadway star from Wicked. She was unbelievably great, and her toddler daughter (Tunie) was really adorable.

I'm sure the Sin City comedy varies tremendously, based on the comedian.

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr

I just came back from the 10/19 Summit repositioning cruise. This was the 2nd time I've seen the Sin City act, and I still don't care for it! I am not a prude, but did not like the constant use of the "F" word. The comedians seemed to be angry/bitter. As far as the stripper, I felt very uncomfortable watching her strip down to a thong and bra. I don't think this is proper entertainment for couples to be watching together, especially if the men are being turned on. This is not keeping with what I feel is the "modern luxury" aura of Celebrity. Really, it has got to go!

I just came back from the 10/19 Summit repositioning cruise. This was the 2nd time I've seen the Sin City act, and I still don't care for it! I am not a prude, but did not like the constant use of the "F" word. The comedians seemed to be angry/bitter. As far as the stripper, I felt very uncomfortable watching her strip down to a thong and bra. I don't think this is proper entertainment for couples to be watching together, especially if the men are being turned on. This is not keeping with what I feel is the "modern luxury" aura of Celebrity. Really, it has got to go!

loveandcruises:

"Really, it has got to go!" No, your choice should be not to go. Others who enjoy this type of comedy and entertainment have the right to choose to go. If people like you who don't enjoy this type of show want it gone...how will those who enjoy it get to choose? No one is herding you to the show and locking the doors behind you.

I don't really see an issue with couples watching a "risqué" show together, and one or both of them getting a little "turned on". It's not as if the stripper is trying to steal anyone's man (or partner).

After all, as a couple, you will both reap the benefits of that hot show later on :)

loveandcruises:

"Really, it has got to go!" No, your choice should be not to go. Others who enjoy this type of comedy and entertainment have the right to choose to go. If people like you who don't enjoy this type of show want it gone...how will those who enjoy it get to choose? No one is herding you to the show and locking the doors behind you.

Hi,:) I totally agree.....nobody is forcing them to go see the show.....

and as for not watching it as a couple?...I sail solo and saw it last year

and there were tons of couples at the show.......I would say 99% of the

audience laughed their butts off:D.....maybe we had a different comedian.

It was what I consider very adult comedy.....and I remember 1 person

walking out......out of a packed audience.......I also remember laughing

so hard my stomach started to hurt;)

I guess every couple has their own form of "what to watch together"...:eek:

If loveandcruises were so offended? I guess they won't be going back.

As for the couples who loved it? They will be going back.

I am on Reflection week after next.......I hope they have Sin City on

my sailing:D

Haven't seen the show yet, but i'm curious about what the role of the burlesque dancer is?

Is it supposed to funny? Given that it's a comedy show, i guess I just don't get it. Or is it supposed to be vintage vegas?

The description of the show makes it seem very tame, and I can't imagine anyone getting turned on by it (but like I said, I haven't seen the show yet!)

I've seen the show several times on different ships with different comedians and still think it's a fun way to spend an hour late night with or without my DH. Yes the language is always rough, but most live comedy shows anywhere have the same type of language now.

Yes the dancer is a mild version of stripping, but to nothing less than you could see at the pool. I don't think the dancing is supposed to be funny, but I agree it looks like vintage vegas, more burlesque.

I hope X keeps it as an additional type of entertainment for adults on their ships.

loveandcruises:

I didn't have any problem with the "adult" asoect of the Sin City show. They provided adequate notice in the advertising. We just didn't care for the specific comedian offered. We wished there had been other late night entertainment options on the 4 nights that Sin City occupied the Revelations Lounge with repeat shows on our sailing.

Jane

I've seen the show several times on different ships with different comedians and still think it's a fun way to spend an hour late night with or without my DH. Yes the language is always rough, but most live comedy shows anywhere have the same type of language now.

Yes the dancer is a mild version of stripping, but to nothing less than you could see at the pool. I don't think the dancing is supposed to be funny, but I agree it looks like vintage vegas, more burlesque.

I hope X keeps it as an additional type of entertainment for adults on their ships.

I have nothing against the burlesque dance, except that its not what I would want to see when attending a comedy show. It seems disjointed like they had this burlesque show and did not know what to do with it so they snuck it in as an opener for the comedy act. :confused:

Might be a better fit for the main theatre on a variety show night. I'm sure my 7 year old would shut his eyes because he thinks all girls except Momma are gross (and for the record, I'm okay with that!) ... but if she has on at least the equivalent of a bikini, then I think it would still qualify as family entertainment. Leave the comedy show to the comedians.

Now if the "dance" was done in a comedic way (i.e an ugly dude with makeup trying to be sexy), then it might have its place in the comedy show.

I have nothing against the burlesque dance, except that its not what I would want to see when attending a comedy show. It seems disjointed like they had this burlesque show and did not know what to do with it so they snuck it in as an opener for the comedy act. :confused:

Burlesque + late night comedy = Vegas-style

Haven't seen the show yet, but i'm curious about what the role of the burlesque dancer is?

Is it supposed to funny? Given that it's a comedy show, i guess I just don't get it. Or is it supposed to be vintage vegas?

The description of the show makes it seem very tame, and I can't imagine anyone getting turned on by it (but like I said, I haven't seen the show yet!)

Hi, we sailed Summit to Bermuda, and really enjoyed our cruise.

However, the comedy part of the sin city was good. It was adult humour. The jokes were adult themed, and bad language. etc...

Now, the part we didn't care for at all was the dancer. We found it very odd to be sitting in a packed room, with all adults, men and women, watching some little number taking her clothes off, rolling around the floor and the tables and chairs etc... it felt weird to watch with us "older" crowd, men and women all together... To me, it was odd to be "watching" this type of show on a fancy cruise ship... the comedy part was fine... just the dancing was icky, lol... and we are not prudes by any means... I would go back to the comedy act,- too bad it wasn't a 2 part show, we would totally skip the stripper.. but she came out before each comedy act, so had to watch.. She doesn't get naked. I don't know how to explain-I just felt awkward--

We love the risque humor...and the striptease has never "turned on" my husband. Maybe because we are adults, not giggly teenagers?

They tell you at every turn that this is 18+ adult entertainment. If the warnings don't keep the prudes away, I don't know what else they can do.

It's like movies and tv shows....if you find them offensive, don't watch. There is plenty of other entertainment out there.

Personally, I find prudish judgmental tongue-clickers far more offensive.

Hi, we sailed Summit to Bermuda, and really enjoyed our cruise.

However, the comedy part of the sin city was good. It was adult humour. The jokes were adult themed, and bad language. etc...

Now, the part we didn't care for at all was the dancer. We found it very odd to be sitting in a packed room, with all adults, men and women, watching some little number taking her clothes off, rolling around the floor and the tables and chairs etc... it felt weird to watch with us "older" crowd, men and women all together... To me, it was odd to be "watching" this type of show on a fancy cruise ship... the comedy part was fine... just the dancing was icky, lol... and we are not prudes by any means... I would go back to the comedy act,- too bad it wasn't a 2 part show, we would totally skip the stripper.. but she came out before each comedy act, so had to watch.. She doesn't get naked. I don't know how to explain-I just felt awkward--

I agree with your point of view. I enjoyed the comedy part of the act and didn't mind the language associated with it. I really didn't see the reason for the stripper, although I might have felt differently if she were better looking. LOL..One other thing that I would like to know is how another poster saw some men getting "excited". Were there a bunch of little tents that she saw in the audience when she should have been watching the show on stage?

:o little tents:eek:

ewwwww.... again.. not the type of show that needs to be on a luxury cruise ship... leave it in Vegas! I know what I am going to see when I go to a Las Vegas show, and I have seen them there-- totally topless-- and it was acceptable there... it was expected..

I've seen sex shows in vegas. I've seen comedy shows in vegas. I've never seen a vegas comedy show that included any kind of sex/burlesque show.

I guess I don't see these going hand-in hand. I'm not a prude, and I won't be offended by it. I just don't get how they go together.

I've seen sex shows in vegas. I've seen comedy shows in vegas. I've never seen a vegas comedy show that included any kind of sex/burlesque show.

I guess I don't see these going hand-in hand. I'm not a prude, and I won't be offended by it. I just don't get how they go together.

Exactly!!--- and again, I found it bizarre on a luxury cruise ship--- but I'm new to cruising, so maybe this is the norm?

If the show is called Sin City, I think I would expect Adult Humor, Adult language, Burlesque nature, etc

I think it is odd when people complain or would leave a show knowing what it is called ....... its like complaining that Qsine had too many quirky food options, or that 70's night played to many disco songs, or that it rained on a rainforest excursion .....

If the show is called Sin City, I think I would expect Adult Humor, Adult language, Burlesque nature, etc

I think it is odd when people complain or would leave a show knowing what it is called ....... its like complaining that Qsine had too many quirky food options, or that 70's night played to many disco songs, or that it rained on a rainforest excursion .....

Actually, the show is called "SIN CITY COMEDY".

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_dailies.htm#day_2

So how does burlesque fit into comedy?