Cruise Director on Jewel?

Sorry to ask, when I do a search it says I am not subscribed to the Forum and can't use Search...funny, I can post?

Does anyone know who the Cruise Director is on the Jewel, we will be sailing September 12, 2005

Thanks!

We just sailed on the Jewel July 26-Aug 7 w/ Karen. Being from the U.S. we most times had a difficult time understanding her British accent. In 12 days I saw Capt. McDonald roaming around the ship much more than I saw her out on the decks.

Maybe it was just me.

jim

We've been on two cruises with Karen as the cruise director; a 15 night transatlantic on the Splendour and an 8 night on the Jewel. We were not impressed either time. We've wondered if she has something on someone to still be a CD.

I wonder if this Karen is going to be leaving the ship when it moves to Boston. We are taking a couple on their first RCCL cruise and I was hoping the Cruise Director would be one of the better ones.

Great review by Host Anne, thanks for the link!

I couldn't agree more about Karen Mayberry. She is the worse CD we've encountered. With that said, we found her much better this July than she was for our cruise in June 2004. For those of you who just had her this year, you can imagine how awful she was in 2004 on the Jewel's inaugural season if she improved this year. She even had the Gala Buffet listed under Snacks in the Compass and there was no mention of it anywhere else. It wasn't even on the last formal night when everyone was expecting it, so a lot of repeat cruisers just missed it. The group I was traveling with just couldn't understand how RCL keeps her around on a brand new ship.

Is she the one with long blonde hair , if so , I totally agree with what has been said. When you compare her to Clo from Ireland, Graham from UK and Gordon, also UK , it does make you wonder!

Karen was CD on the Jewel repositioning last year when we sailed with her. I agree that she can't compare to Clo who is one of our favorites but I didn't find her objectionable and liked her better than Gordon who seemed to subscribe to the "sharp put down" type of humor with passengers. I believe that I read somewhere that another CD will be taking over her role before we sail on the Transatlantic. If so, we'll let you know when we return.

Birdie--When it gives you the "not subscribed to forum" message when searching, make sure the RC forum is highlighted in that long list of forums. The default highlighted is "search subscribed forums," if you're not subscribed to any, it will give you the error. Every time I search any forum, I forget to highlight it...maybe I should just actually "subscribe" to the forum...what an idea...I'll go do that now...

Hope you have a good time and a good CD on your cruise!

Not to repeat what's already been said, but I MUST repeat what's already been said -- Karen was the CD on the Jewel Transatlantic this past May and I agree... she's the worst. One day, she spent the entire afternoon riding up and down the elevator with a camera man, interviewing people getting on and off the elevator!?!? What is that all about!?

Thank you for the search tip, Geo.

Negc, I hope you are right about the CD change! I will let you all know after our 9/12 cruise!

Thanks for the kind offer, but we will be getting off the Jewel on 9/12 after completing the Transatlantic. With luck, the CD that we have on that cruise, if it isn't Karen, will be the same when we sail Jewel again in October. :D

I wouldn't rate Karen as the worst and wouldn't even include her on my personal list of poor CDs. As far as riding up and down the elevator interviewing folks, I imagine the interviews were broadcast on the ship's tvs and gave some people a bit of their "fifteen minutes of fame". I'd rather see a CD out and about the ship interacting with the passengers, than remaining out of sight and unaware of what the passengers were saying and thinking about their cruise.

I know that she pays attention to the passengers because when our group, the Royal Jewels, sailed with her, she mentioned that she was thinking of not having the horse auction on our sailing because there had been little or no participation on the previous several cruises. We convinced her to hold the auction and each of the six horses went for at least $400 giving the winning horse's owners $2400+.

Archived