New to Breakaway Questions

bobby1119

First time with NCL and Breakaway in a few weeks.

1. How long a wait for the main dining room can we expect? Do we need to reserve or just line up? We usually like to dine at 8:45-9:00 at a table for 2.

2. Does the main dining room "rush hour" happen at an earlier hour or later?

3. How difficult will it be to obtain reservations in the specialty restaurants when reserving once on board?

4. Dress code - are nice jeans/khakis appropriate in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants in the evening? Would a navy blazer be appropriate or just excess baggage?

We have extensive experiences with other cruise lines, mostly with a cruise line that is very formal. We are looking for a different experience.

Thank you for your help.

First time with NCL and Breakaway in a few weeks.

1. How long a wait for the main dining room can we expect? Do we need to reserve or just line up? We usually like to dine at 8:45-9:00 at a table for 2.

2. Does the main dining room "rush hour" happen at an earlier hour or later?

3. How difficult will it be to obtain reservations in the specialty restaurants when reserving once on board?

4. Dress code - are nice jeans/khakis appropriate in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants in the evening? Would a navy blazer be appropriate or just excess baggage?

We have extensive experiences with other cruise lines, mostly with a cruise line that is very formal. We are looking for a different experience.

Thank you for your help.

We've sailed on the Breakaway 2X and we usually make reservation before we leave but we always end up changing or cancelling them (there's so much to do on this ship) but have never had a problem making another one or just showing up. Like you, we like to dine late (8:30 - 9:00) but will eat early (5:30) if we have a reservation for a show and we never wait at those times. A couple of times, we showed up at 7 - 7:30 and were given a pager but only waited about 10-15 minutes.

The dress code is casual but some people do dress up. We usually don't change for dinner and we have never felt out of place in the MDR with nice shorts and a casual shirt. The only thing they are pretty strict about is that you wear long pants in Manhattan.

The only specialty restaurant that we've dined at was Cagney's and getting a reservation was not difficult. We changed our reservation a couple of times and didn't have a problem getting the time we wanted, but again, we eat later than most people.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

We've sailed on the Breakaway 2X and we usually make reservation before we leave but we always end up changing or cancelling them (there's so much to do on this ship) but have never had a problem making another one or just showing up. Like you, we like to dine late (8:30 - 9:00) but will eat early (5:30) if we have a reservation for a show and we never wait at those times. A couple of times, we showed up at 7 - 7:30 and were given a pager but only waited about 10-15 minutes.

The dress code is casual but some people do dress up. We usually don't change for dinner and we have never felt out of place in the MDR with nice shorts and a casual shirt. The only thing they are pretty strict about is that you wear long pants in Manhattan.

The only specialty restaurant that we've dined at was Cagney's and getting a reservation was not difficult. We changed our reservation a couple of times and didn't have a problem getting the time we wanted, but again, we eat later than most people.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you for your insights which have helped me prepare for the cruise. Happy sailings to you, too!

We were on the Breakaway in April and loved it. We really liked the Manhattan Room, Taste and Savor. We never made reservations for them and the most we had to wait I think was one night and that was 10 minutes. They did turn away a gentleman in shorts - they did require pants - jeans were ok - Khakis or the like seemed preferred. The buffet was anything goes - it was very casual.

My interpretation: Was on the ship when school was out and it was a full ship.

Dinners took long time

Be sure to pre book Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, and Second City(we like the adult late night show)

We very much enjoyed the MDR and the dancing at dinner in the Manhattan MDR.

When embarking go to the MDR for lunch (Taste of Savor will be opened), the buffet gets crazy, and the MDR is a nice calm way to start the cruise.

Don't miss the dirty water hot dogs---look for the carts

Safe sailling

Edited by spidybabe

My interpretation: Was on the ship when school was out and it was a full ship.

Dinners took long time

Safe sailling

Yes!:D:eek::rolleyes:

Thanks

I'm SO slow ! ... was focused on "Watson".

Edited by $hip$hape

A few weeks is Thanksgiving. If you are cruising Thanksgiving week, expect crowds at the dining venues mostly between 6:30-7:30. Also, if you have a desired time for the pay restaurants, I would book them now. There were a few restaurants that we had to take times we did not prefer or not go at all, but it was a summer cruise and very full.

If you want to see any of the shows, I definitely suggest booking now. We were turned away from Second City as it was fully booked with a stand-by line.

If you enjoy wine and campy, silly songs, definitely go to Wine Lover's Musical on the last sea day. It was a hoot!

I think the blazer is unnecessary unless you just want to look good or get cold easily!