Forgive me, another tipping question...

mrsraggy

:DOkay, noone barbecue me, but I have a question I haven't seen answered. If I pre-tip my cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter and whomever else wanders by at an opportune moment, do they have to pool that tip? If its all in cash and at the beginning of the week?

I don't care to restart the pre-tipping debate. Just info, please, if you have it.

Many thanks!

mrsraggy

:DOkay, noone barbecue me, but I have a question I haven't seen answered. If I pre-tip my cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter and whomever else wanders by at an opportune moment, do they have to pool that tip? If its all in cash and at the beginning of the week?

I don't care to restart the pre-tipping debate. Just info, please, if you have it.

Many thanks!

mrsraggy

If you allow the automatic $10 per person per day tip to be left on your shipboard account, then anyone you tip at any point during the cruise can keep whatever you give them.

If you remove the automatic tip, anyone you tip must pool all of it.

This is a different question.

Let's see - the OP didn't say whether they were going to remove the auto tip or not.

Tipping at the beginning of the cruise - different.

So - assuming that the OP does tip everyone at the begining of the cruise, then chooses to remove the auto tip at the end of the cruise. How will the front office or anyone else know that they have already tipped everyone? Who is going to tell management?

Tipping at the beginning of the cruise - different.

So - assuming that the OP does tip everyone at the begining of the cruise, then chooses to remove the auto tip at the end of the cruise. How will the front office or anyone else know that they have already tipped everyone? Who is going to tell management?

How is management going to know no matter when a pax tips, beginning or end of the cruise? The honor system of turning in tips if the auto-tip is removed should apply whether the crew member received a cash tip directly from a pax at the beginning or at end of the cruise.

Many (Most?) restaurant servers share tips. They nearly always turn in all of their tips - there's a back alley culture both on land and sea. I'd suspect that culture is even more ruthless on board ship.

But how many crew members are going to turn in tips that are given to them at the begining of the cruise?

Those who are honest will turn in any and all tips they received from anyone. What's the difference if the tip comes on day one or day seven of a seven day cruise? The stewards KNOW who removed the automatic tip; they know who gave them tips; they know how much; they know they are supposed to pool them. They turn them in.

They could not consistently get away with 'cheating'. There is such a thing as averages and all the stewards know the (somewhat variable) tipping that people 'slip' to stewards and tell them to ignore the rules.

IMO....you do them no favor to suggest they cheat and lie.

f I pre-tip my cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter and whomever else wanders by at an opportune moment, do they have to pool that tip?

I'll make sure to wander by your cabin "at an opportune moment." :D ;)

I'll make sure to wander by your cabin "at an opportune moment." :D ;)

*LOL* :)

Revneal

If you ever stop by my cabin I will gladly tip you with a few cocktails , this way you don't have to pool it.:)

Of course if we have too many cocktails and end up in THE pool, that will be our own problem *LOL*

Rev Neal,

I would happily give you a tip for all of the info you've provided the good people of Cruise Critic. I think everyone who's used the tips from your posts should send you a dollar. That way, you'll be able to go on more cruises and send us more info...:D

Of all the valuable tidbits you've offered, I liked the trolling idea the best. If we're ever on the same ship (in the same boat?) I'm buying your sailaway drink in the unique;) souvenir glass that's yours to keep. :D You can put it on the shelf with the other dozen or so. I had to remodel my kitchen to make room for all the ---- glasses.

mrsraggy

Archived