What not to wear

hstrybuf

Even though this is a TV show, I have learned just as much if not more from these boards. Now tell me, what outfits have you seen on your cruises that make you wonder "What were they thinking?!"

On our last Princess cruise there was a gentleman who seemed to have a different color tux for every night. I'm not talking black and white, I'm talking orange, red . . well you get the idea. It was certainly a fashion statement, but it just didn't work.

Honest opinions of what not to wear can help out everyone. icon_wink.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

I've seen plenty of variations of formal, anyone who has gone on a cruise will tell you the same. I'm sure I have made a number of fashion faux pax myself. The one that sticks out in my mind the most is the woman who wore the same dress every single night. It was on an NCL Freestyle ship, where you can go to a different dining room every night of the cruise. I think it was noticeable because it was a huge red muumuu with white hibiscus all over it. It was one of those lounging type of dresses. By the third night, we would intentionally look for her, we were never disappointed. It wasn't an awful dress, but I think if I were to wear the same thing every night, I would choose something a little less obvious.

I bet she packed for the whole week in a carry on.

More than one person on this board, including myself, has been introduced to Mr. Winkie, due to a speedo that has gotten a little too baggy in the elastic. You do wonder what people are thinking!!

Kathy

Under the heading of "What WERE they thinking"?.....

1. White undies under white pants. Wear flesh colored ones or a thong.

2. Dark colored hose and white shoes. Yuck!

3. Dresses the wearers must have thought were "classic and would Never go out of style", but had big 1990 shoulder pads! LOL!

Kathy....... ROFL....you were introduced to Mr Winkie??? Oh geez, what do you say in a situation like that? Probably, "excuse me, I've got to go now"! icon_eek.gif

Jane

Guilty of wearing white panties under white pants. icon_eek.gif At least they weren't floral. LOL

My last cruise there was a man with a baby blue suit, pink shirt AND pink socks. Now there is a look.

Where's Katie? She's missing the chance to tell the square dancing dress story again. icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;15;6;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

seagulls, VPL???? Yeah, I know, it's one of those things that when you explain it I'll probably smack myself in the forehead and go "Duhhhhh!" icon_biggrin.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Back to the speedo for a minute. I'm sure someone else has seen the large guy wearing a speedo - but you can't tell it from the front because his belly is so large is hangs down and blocks all view of the material. We had to do a double take to make sure he wasn't naked!

DMS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;9;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Carnival Spirit 9/1/04

Oooooo! Yes, there I was, sitting in the lounge watching all the people at the first seating getting their pictures taken. Suddenly I sat up and took notice! There was a square dance dress! With all the ruffles and rick rack, finished off with those low heeled white shoes! And a gentleman in a matching shirt with one of those little string ties. It was memorable.

The backdrop for the pictures was the staircase of the Titanic which was very appropriate for the other faux pas I saw that night. Along with the square dance lady, I would like to mention again the British gentleman at my table in his tuxedo who decided it was too hot and unbuttoned everything and ate bare chested.

And the neon colored unitard with animal print accessories. Or the knee high nylons with the almost-knee-length dresses.

But as we all know, the ultimate accessory is a pair of brand new, bright white tennis shoes. There were a lot of older people on my cruise. All the older gentlemen were wearing these new shoes and I had to laugh, thinking that after all the ladies go through to get ready, they had their new shoes and that was all they needed to rock!

August 2001 Westerdam Alaska

October 2002 Enchantment of the Seas Eastern Caribbean

Whew! What would this thread have been without the Square Dance Story?? Lill, I actually had to CALL Katie to tell her to get her butt on the Board and post!

One of my personal favorites was on the Adventure last November...middle-aged woman in opaque black trousers, apparenly part of her swimsuit cover-up attire--it wasn't so bad except that she hadn't removed the BIG white tag on the back seam...

Amd what is it with some animal print wearers who have a compulsion to display the whole animal kingdom at once on different articles of clothing??

Diane, at work wearing jeans, Rykas, and a long-sleeved light red twill shirt that really should have been ironed...

Enchantment of the Seas--

Enchanted Tiara Cruise 10/02

Adventure of the Seas 11/03

Mariner of the Seas--Reali-tini Cruise 10/05

I have bragged so much about my $22 evening gown, one of our friends want me to leave the price tag on, to prove it! Can't do it, though, the extra 40% was taken off at the register.

I have seen a man dressed in a shiney lime green tuxedo, with matching ruffled shirt. It would have looked great on a Motown singer, back in the 60's. I've read about whole groups of cruisers doing the colored tuxedo thing, it would be fun to do, matching your dress to the DH's tux. I would just worry that the rest of the group would be playng a trick on us and show up in black and white!!

Kathy

I've met "Mr. Winkie" on several cruises icon_wink.gif He seems to go everywhere!

What about the well tanned, lady in the thong bathing suite who is about 75 years old with the "wrinkled elephant butt"! You ladies know what I mean icon_biggrin.gif

On one cruise we had the nicest man and his wife at our dinner table, but I think he only packed collared knit shirts and a sports coat, which he removed as soon as he sat down at the table...even on formal nights. We really enjoyed him and his wife at dinner and I wouldn't have wanted to miss them just because their clothes didn't fit the proscribed evenings attire.

I could mention a few more, but this is enough. We've all seen them, but once you get to know them most are very nice people. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sitting in front of my computer in my pink floral nightie with a glass of Pinot Noir by my side.

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

Char, I think that woman and her husband in the speedo were on my September cruise! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

We have also met some people on our cruises that had more humor and wit than fashion sense and we have still enjoyed them immensely. icon_smile.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

hstrybuf, very well said. On our last cruise, we loved our table mates. They were not dressed what might be considered "appropriate" some of the nights. We would not have changed tables for anything. We're there to have fun, and to eat a lot, and have a few toddies, and get a little crazy. That's exactly what we did with those fine folks.

If you go to your local mall and check out the shoppers, that is pretty much what you see on a cruise, real people. The world would be a little boring if we all looked and acted the same.

I just don't think my DH or I could strike up a conversation with a person if his Mr. Winkie is poking out. Have to draw the line somewhere.

Kathy

Omigosh, don't read on if you get totally grossed out...

One was a woman in early-20s who sported the Goth Look from head to toe. Not only did she dress in the SAME black lace skirt and top every day, but she had the white face makeup, heavy eyeliner, and coal black dreadlocks. That might not have been so bad except it was on a Silversea ship icon_frown.gif

Then there was another younger woman with multiple eyebrow piercings. Picture graduated size hoops. Ouch! It hurt to look at her.

Another one with pierced nostrils and a hoop between them. She sneezed and patted her nose with a tissue, but (ahem) there was a booger she missed. Ewww!

Don't even get me started on some of the more bizarre tatoos.

Linda

CruiseDiva

My personal favourite is the woman in the tiny bikini who neglected to shave her legs. And other parts that showed far more than I wanted to see. Ewwwww!

Beth

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise Oct. 16/05

• 2 weeks later...

The square dance lady was on one of my cruises, too. She and square dance hubby were sooooooooooo proud of their outfits, too!

I think I also saw the multi-tux guy, or at least his bro. My guy had.....tada!!!! (durmrolls, please)........ a TROPICAL PRINT tuxedo jacket on. Parrot green, coral flowers. WHERE did he get it, I wonder????

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Wearing your Playtex 18 hour bra as a swimsuit top...just peel off your t-shirt and leave the shorts on....yes, I saw this just last week!!! Right there....right by the POOL!!! Thank goodness she didn't peel off those shorts and use her panties as "the bottoms."

The only thing I have seen recently that was worse was on the same ship last week....a bright neon striped (with metallic piping) Speedo on an older gentleman. He...um hum....did NOT have the physique for this garment. And NO...he was not the huz of Playtex 18 hour woman. lol

Mal

Totally off topic here, but Mal, are you the Mal from Texas? icon_smile.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just don't think my DH or I could strike up a conversation with a person if his Mr. Winkie is poking out. Have to draw the line somewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, our neighbor on our last cruise was VERY comfortable walking around on his balcony buck nekkid. icon_eek.gif I was tempted a couple of times to mention that the divider between the balconies wasn't as opaque as he might of thought, but didn't since he was really cute and well built. icon_wink.gif

Katie

"I'm currently out of my mind, but please feel free to leave a message..."

I definitely have seen more mature ladies, wearing dresses they wore for sure in the 80's. You can totally tell it's old and "dated". LOL Know what I mean???

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Archived