MSC has gone nuts and quadrupled their SPA packages

faiz23

I submitted a form to book the "Relaxing Touch" spa package and I have been informed the prices have tripled and quadrupled. What was original $55 per person or $100 for the couple is now $179 / $358. Does MSC really think someone will pay 4 times the amount for a 30 minute massage and access to the thermal spa during the cruise.

MSC wake up and smell your syrup based coffee. I will not be spending a dime on your cruise ship in the SPA, but instead save that for a local spa that is leaps and bounds above yours. Attached is the old and new pricing structures for the SPA.

2014_2015_Pre_Paid_Caribbean_Spa_Packages.pdf

pre_paid_spa_FALL_2013_winter_2014_CARIBBEAN.pdf

touch.jpg.83575241555bc83c197decee6e6d11bc.jpg

1232411000_Newtouch.jpg.8644ae782eca6eee968577337110a893.jpg

Edited by faiz23

I submitted a form to book the "Relaxing Touch" spa package and I have been informed the prices have tripled and quadrupled. What was original $55 per person or $100 for the couple is now $179 / $358. Does MSC really think someone will pay 4 times the amount for a 30 minute massage and access to the thermal spa during the cruise.

MSC wake up and smell your syrup based coffee. I will not be spending a dime on your cruise ship in the SPA, but instead save that for a local spa that is leaps and bounds above yours. Attached is the old and new pricing structures for the SPA.

I think you were getting an extreme bargain before. The normal price for a week's access to the spa is €99 per person, add on a massage and you are pretty much at the prices they are quoting now.

Yes I also would have paid the $100 for each of the weeks of my B2B coming up and probably would have only gone to the spa once or twice, but not at the price they want now. Bob

They have doubled them.

Was $55 if you pre book (which is the best bargain for just a 30 minute massage anywhere without the add-ins)

Is now $99 dollars if you pre book. Still a fantastic bargain for what the package entails and STILL cheaper than any other spa I've been to.

You ought to see UK spa prices if you're upset at paying $99 dollars for that.

From my ipad

Yes I also would have paid the $100 for each of the weeks of my B2B coming up and probably would have only gone to the spa once or twice, but not at the price they want now. Bob

Bob - it is only $99 per week if you pre book the package.

From my ipad

I have been working with a rep and having her take care of all my special request bookings. I submitted the SPA booking before the prices took effect, but MSC lost my form. Now they are wanting me to pay the on-board prices. I was planning on paying $55 or $100. Here is the email from MSC asking for me to pay almost quadruple the original rate.

MSC can keep the Spa empty and I will save my $$$ for a legit spa in Dallas, Tx. With the groupon deals and the local competition. I am pretty sure I can do much better than $198 for a 30 min massage and access to thermal spa. You guys overseas can continue to pay the high prices you are use to so we can enjoy our $229 balconies on the Divina.

Unfortunately, this package is no longer available. The prices are subject to change and we don’t know it until it happens. The relaxing touch is $198 Single, $380 Couple to-date.

Best regards,

MBO

Cruise Consultant

MSC Cruises (USA) Inc.

6750 North Andrews Avenue, Suite 100

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

Email: MBO@msccruisesusa.com

http://www.MscCruisesUSA.com

Edited by faiz23

Bob - it is only $99 per week if you pre book the package.

From my ipad

I was talking about the per couple price. And I agree if I was going to use the spa every day it's still a bargain, but now it's something I can do without. Interesting that at the same time they made one of the drink package a better deal ($84 for 18 drinks vs $72 for 15 drinks), but I guess the spa is separate. Maybe the spa was too crowded with the previous special? Bob

Edited by CTBob

We have not yet sailed in MSC but I have been following posts here and it sounds like MSC is a very good value and much less expensive than older mass market lines. Wondered when they reached their market share goal how quickly and how much these very low prices will increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faiz23...I went through this same thing last week. Tried to book the advertised Relaxing Touch package only to be told the cost had gone up astronomically. I really didn't even care about the 30 minute massage. I was willing to pay $55 just to have access to the sauna and steam room for the week which I must say I have NEVER had to pay for on any other cruise line we've been on (NCL, RCCL, X, Princess).

The prices for the massages look very reasonable compared to other lines and I'm told that they will be on sale for 50% off on the last sea day so look for me there next Friday. :) But they're totally missing the boat when it comes to giving people access to the thermal suite. Maybe they just don't want people to use it? :confused:

Trish

faiz23...I went through this same thing last week. Tried to book the advertised Relaxing Touch package only to be told the cost had gone up astronomically. I really didn't even care about the 30 minute massage. I was willing to pay $55 just to have access to the sauna and steam room for the week which I must say I have NEVER had to pay for on any other cruise line we've been on (NCL, RCCL, X, Princess).

The prices for the massages look very reasonable compared to other lines and I'm told that they will be on sale for 50% off on the last sea day so look for me there next Friday. :) But they're totally missing the boat when it comes to giving people access to the thermal suite. Maybe they just don't want people to use it? :confused:

Trish

Hi Trish, maybe it was too crowded? In any event, I'll tell my wife about the last day special and have a wonderful cruise, spa or no spa. I will look for you on the Port Miami Webcam, please wave:D Bob Edited by CTBob

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from the cruise and MSC took care of me while on the cruise ship. The manager agreed to honor the old pricing since MSC lost the form when I tried to originally submit the special request form. Also since pricing went up he wanted to do the right thing and honor the original pricing. He could not touch the pricing for the spa but went over and above and beyond. He covered one excursion in full and took care of the third passenger gratuity.

I don't think he realized but he ended up giving me $244.70 in value. My spa package that I booked was 4 - 30 minute massages at 20% off and 4 free thermal spa access passes for 1 hour each. The total cost of the spa package that I booked was $257.6. I ended up paying $12.90 for the spa package after his generosity ;). MSC corporate gets a C- and MSC cruise ship managers get an A+ in my book :D .

Edited by faiz23

You ought to see UK spa prices if you're upset at paying $99 dollars for that.

From my ipad

Yes, if you want a spa holiday, you should really go to Turkey. The current offer is 2 hours of treatment - sauna, 'peeling', soap massage and oil massage - for €10 including transport to & from the hotel. How many of those do you need to pay for the airfare + (all-inclusive) hotel?

Having spent so long in Turkey, you see why I can never bring myself to pay ship's prices for spa treatment.

From my ipad (in Goynuk, Antalya, Turkey)

The increase in spa prices seems to come at the same time, and be linked to, the new 'experience' levels. I am booked on the 12/6 Divinia cruise at the new "Fantastica" level. One of the "benefits", I was told, is a 50% discount on spa and fitness services. This "discount" comes at exactly the time that the prices of those services have doubled. In other words, a discount and benefit that means nothing. (Used to live in Italy, and Italian consumers love a 'sconto').

One of the appeals of cruising is an all-inclusive vacation package. The pricing structure, the price changes, and the ever-changing discounts have become so complicated that I have stopped wanting to think about booking any extras. These marketing manipulations might backfire as customers become weary.

It looks like MSC are now charging prices that they charge elsewhere on their other ships, when the ship returns after next summer in the Med it may well be that the pricing structure will also change to somewhere near the levels of the other cruise lines.

It will then be interesting to see if Divina remains popular then.

It looks like MSC are now charging prices that they charge elsewhere on their other ships, when the ship returns after next summer in the Med it may well be that the pricing structure will also change to somewhere near the levels of the other cruise lines.

It will then be interesting to see if Divina remains popular then.

I'm booked for a balcony this December .

I'm looking at a cruise for next November. It's just 3 nights longer....but the cost of an interior is about 2.5 times my cruise next month.

That's marketing. Get people to like the product at a low cost...and they remain loyal at a higher price. Just like Groupon.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Not sure if this will help....but I had purchased a package that included use of the facilities for the entire week. Turns out it was just for steam room and sauna....and plain lounge chairs. I cancelled it because I was expecting more. I couldn't find out it the shower was included. I asked if it included the hot tub...and was told that there isn't a hot tub in the spa.

I have always found the prices at spas on cruise ships way too expensive. I use mainly massages and i wonder how much of the price we pay actually goes to the person who gives the massage.

Since spa prices have increased, I prefer to take my massages at home with a licensed physioterapist and not anymore at sea, with someone, who I do not even know if is properly trained. I will not be missing much.

Agree with MsTabbyKats that reduced introductory prices are a standard marketing ploy, but one that if used poorly can backfire. The problem here is that the prices, benefits and packages offered are fluctuating for the same sailing and within a short span of time. People understand when there is an Introductory Price, they become irritated if they are unsure what they will get after they book.

Not sure if this will help....but I had purchased a package that included use of the facilities for the entire week. Turns out it was just for steam room and sauna....and plain lounge chairs. I cancelled it because I was expecting more. I couldn't find out it the shower was included. I asked if it included the hot tub...and was told that there isn't a hot tub in the spa.

Poesia has one in the Spa .... :) and hopefully Orchestra as well ... :D