Is there a downside to an A1 deck 11 Summit

sailor moon

We are booking a cruise for our 25 year anniversary! We have only cruised RCCL and are branching to Celebrity. I'm looking at the Summit for Southern Caribbean in April 2015. Is there any issue that would make me not want to be in an A1 on deck 11? We usually like to be on the highest deck :) thanks!!

We have been on the Summit on deck 11 twice and the same location twice on the Connie. Awesome! Quiet and close to the sunset bar and the buffet for snickey snacks in the afternoon. We are actually on our first S class in a few weeks and I'm a little nervous because we have enjoyed our M class and A1 experience so much. Would heartily recommend!

From all that I've read the downsides are few for the NEW AQuas on Deck 11 on M-Class Ships unless something does not go to plan:

1- Rough Seas = Lots of movement up top

2- Rain means the A1s on the sides, don't have much protection on their balconies (not much overhang)

3- Lots of sun means the 5 A1s on the back can get hot (close the blinds when you are not there)

4- can be noisy near the exits (midship & aft) as the doors can slam (wind) and sometimes people wander into the area either lost or out of curiosity

5- on some ships outdoor smoking still happens on Decks 10 & 11 nearby on the Port Side

And most importantly... Bring a Bungee Cord so you don't get locked out on the balcony

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I think the A1's on deck 11 are great. Really enjoyed the aft elevator and being somewhat isolated from the rest of the ship. Very quiet area. Blu was great for breakfast and dinner.

The outside doors at the end of the halls are spring loaded so you might hear them slam if you are in an end cabin. Being aft there may be some vibration from the engines, but it never bothered us.

Above is a sun deck which is usually fairly empty except on sea days and during sail away.

Check out this thread for a discussion and pictures of deck 11 cabins.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629443

Enjoy the Summit and Southern Caribbean.

Edited by rdt10

Glad to read some reassuring comments about deck 11. I have had some concerns about our choice, mostly about there not being much overhang. My husband likes to sit on the balcony but he can't take much sun or heat since having heat stroke. Worst case he has to find another shady spot. We are booked in 1105.

Since we have only been on "S" class, and always used Ensemble Lounge as our before dinner drink and "meet you there" place, what lounge is closest to Blu on Summit. The martini bar sometimes, (most times) can be a little too busy.

Glad to read some reassuring comments about deck 11. I have had some concerns about our choice, mostly about there not being much overhang. My husband likes to sit on the balcony but he can't take much sun or heat since having heat stroke. Worst case he has to find another shady spot. We are booked in 1105.

Since we have only been on "S" class, and always used Ensemble Lounge as our before dinner drink and "meet you there" place, what lounge is closest to Blu on Summit. The martini bar sometimes, (most times) can be a little too busy.

The Rendezvous Lounge on Deck 4 would be the obvious choice. Next to the same elevator bank that services the deck 11 cabins and just one floor down from Blu. Or you could try Cellar Masters on Deck 5 which seems pretty underutilised most of the time and is a nice quite spot.

I think everyone has a different "Bar Style" so I very much get your post / concerns

When we sailed on The Solstice (S-Class) our Favourite spots inside were The Passport Bar & Ensemble Lounge, outside the Oceanview Cafe back deck.

We found the Martini & Molecular Bars to hectic for us

On The Summit (M-Class) we were happy to find similarity with the back deck on its version of the Buffet... And indoors we much enjoyed Cellarmasters, which on this class of ship is not a dark empty cave, but rather a nice space in a wider hallway not far from the MDR (On M-Class Ships Blu was added later during Solsticization... So space was carved out of the MDR)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Other posters have noted most of the negatives, but I have noticed food odors wafting up into the area at the elevators and nearby staterooms. For me it's no big deal, as they don't enter the cabins, but some might be bothered, especially if they want to use the sitting area in front of cabins 1110 and 1111. I would not book any cabin near the external doors, though I understand the slamming cannot be heard inside them. And here's a complaint particular to me and others like me: at 6'5' if I don't remember to duck my head entering those doors, I hit the Exit sign posted there. Fortunately, I can take a punch. :)

The ideal deck 11 cabins would be the five in the rear that have large balconies with more overhang (and a far better view).

IMHO, deck 11 cabins on the infinity (and presumably the other three M-class ships) have some fundamental design flaws. The drawers (nightstand/closet) have no stops to keep them closed if the ship rocks in rough weather. That means that the drawers can (and do) slam open and then closed...and the drawers in the closet do the same, knocking the door covering them open. In order to stop this from happening, you have to tilt the nightstands up with a towel under the front (raise the front about an inch) or tape the drawers shut with duct tape (bring it from home). The balcony door also has no stops and only a grab handle on the outside. From the outside, there is no way to "lock" the door into any position..including full open or full closed. It slides open and closed at will. If you put the inside handle in the down position it slows the door a little, but does not prevent it from slamming open and closed. In our case, after two days, the ship provided a large wooden wedge to keep the door in place....and that worked, however if you were outside, then the cabin door was open/wedged at least a couple of feet. An alternative recommended is to bring a bungee cord (about 20-24") which you can loop over the outside handle and a locking mechanism on the door...and that will hold the door full open. There is no way to keep the door closed when on the balcony in any sort of rough seas unless someone on the inside locks you out (and hopefully is there when you want to go back inside :)

There is a very minor amount of "soot" sometimes on the chairs/table...easily wiped off but bothers some. We did smell garlic a few days in a rear cabin, presumably from the pasta bar....however, that's far preferable to smoke which is no longer a problem since they eliminated smoking in the rear area of deck 10 on the infinity (not sure of the other m-class ships).

The view from the rear cabins (and their balcony size) is fantastic, but be prepared for the above "flaws" if you have any kind of moderate to heavy seas on your cruise.

Edited by ghstudio