Jewel or Dawn

hpecorari

I'm driving myself crazy and know no one can make the choice for me but if anyone was on both of these ships - which did they prefer? Itinerary is pretty much the same on both ships and besides, I've already been to Southern, Eastern, and Western Caribbean many times already so at this point it's the ship I'm interested in. Truth be told I was interested in South America but the months offered it's cold there and I'm not crazy about being on the ship when we can't utilize the pool and outdoors like one can when it's warm. As I'm looking for February of this year (yes, I'd let to get away from all the bad weather expected here in Philadelphia) there really is not many options.

Thanks!

Harriet

I was on Dawn for 16 nights during Hurricane Sandy, and I thought she was a nice ship. That, said, I spent most of my time in the spa, the gym, Bar City and the MDR. Oh, and I spent a ton of time in the atrium. Because Dawn doesn't have the same number of public venues as Jewel, the atrium is heavily programmed and very bustling.

I've been on Jewel's sister, Pearl, 26 nights. I would choose Jewel-class over Dawn-class every time. Spinnaker Lounge is an excellent venue for the game shows, comedy and dancing, and it doesn't exist on Dawn-class. Great Outdoors is perfect for a late-afternoon snack. It doesn't exist on Dawn-class. Bar City is just a little bigger and nicer, as are the specialty restaurants. And, Jewel has O'Sheehan's.

Good luck with your choice. I know which one I'd choose :p

On the Dawn I'd get a family suite w/balcony and have $505.80 OBC due to the current promotion. This suite has a queen bed that can seperate.

On the Jewel I'd have to get an Aft mini suite as they don't have any suites that the bed seperates. I'd get $425.00 OBC due to the current promotion.

The difference in price between the two is $400.00, the Dawn being more due to the Suite. I've been on cruises that have left both Tampa and New Orleans before.

I'd already get to eat breakfast/lunch in Cagney's and get daily afternoon treats no matter what ship I go on and as Platinum I'd also get concierge service although I really only use them for tenders.

I can't believe I'm having such a hard time deciding.....maybe if I hadn't already been to all this ports.........it'd be easier for me.

Harriet

On the Dawn I'd get a family suite w/balcony and have $505.80 OBC due to the current promotion. This suite has a queen bed that can separate.

On the Jewel I'd have to get an Aft mini suite as they don't have any suites that the bed separates. I'd get $425.00 OBC due to the current promotion.

Harriet

We were in a family suite on the Dawn 2 years ago and the bed does not separate. I know it says it does on NCL's web site, but that is only on the Star. For the Dawn, we booked a family suite with a murphy bed and one of us slept on it. It wasn't as comfortable as the big bed, but was better than the sofa sleeper.

So, that may sway you to the aft mini on the Jewel with her great outdoors and forward observation lounge.

We were in a family suite on the Dawn 2 years ago and the bed does not separate. I know it says it does on NCL's web site, but that is only on the Star. For the Dawn, we booked a family suite with a murphy bed and one of us slept on it. It wasn't as comfortable as the big bed, but was better than the sofa sleeper.

So, that may sway you to the aft mini on the Jewel with her great outdoors and forward observation lounge.

My understanding is that there are two family suites. The SJ which does not have a balcony the bed does not separate however the SD that has a balcony the beds do separate.

However I dislike the breakaway and the getaway because most of their activities are held in the atrium and I find it too busy too crowded and too noisy.

If the dawn is similar I'll choose the jewel in a heartbeat and give up the suite for an aft mini.

Harriet

My understanding is that there are two family suites. The SJ which does not have a balcony the bed does not separate however the SD that has a balcony the beds do separate.

However I dislike the breakaway and the getaway because most of their activities are held in the atrium and I find it too busy too crowded and too noisy.

If the dawn is similar I'll choose the jewel in a heartbeat and give up the suite for an aft mini.

Harriet

Hmm, I haven't heard that difference about the SJ's and SD's on the Dawn. We were in a SJ and the big bed was a large king and did not separate.

I see you have been on the Star several times recently. I remember the atrium area being about the same on both the Dawn and the Star with the photo set ups in the evenings and the jewelry/watch sales tables on sea days. There was entertainment in the evenings in the atrium on both, but on the Dawn, Jose and Patti played most nights and draw a big crowd. Extra chairs are brought in and fill up the atrium. There are events going on in the pub near by and the aft Spinnaker too.

I have read that the VIP/Suite breakfast and lunch is in Moderno on 13 on the Jewel vs. Cagney's on the Dawn. And as previously mentioned, the Jewel has O'Sheehans too.

Hmm, I haven't heard that difference about the SJ's and SD's on the Dawn. We were in a SJ and the big bed was a large king and did not separate.

I see you have been on the Star several times recently. I remember the atrium area being about the same on both the Dawn and the Star with the photo set ups in the evenings and the jewelry/watch sales tables on sea days. There was entertainment in the evenings in the atrium on both, but on the Dawn, Jose and Patti played most nights and draw a big crowd. Extra chairs are brought in and fill up the atrium. There are events going on in the pub near by and the aft Spinnaker too.

I have read that the VIP/Suite breakfast and lunch is in Moderno on 13 on the Jewel vs. Cagney's on the Dawn. And as previously mentioned, the Jewel has O'Sheehans too.

On the Star most of the games, etc. was in the Spinnaker with only a few things in the Atrium: towel folding for example. Cooking demos were in Spinnaker, game shows, bingo, dance lessons, etc....all in Spinnaker. Which is where I like it better.

But yes, the Dawn does have a Family Suite with Balcony that the queen bed does separate. I just think I might be happier overall on the Jewel at this point.

Thanks!

Harriet

Ive been in a suite on the Jewel and on the Star' date=' which is the Dawn's twin, and breakfast was always in Cagney's on both.[/quote']

No, the Jewel's suite dining changed with her dry dock earlier this year when Moderno was moved to the former Star Bar location to make room for O'Sheehan's. I'm looking forward to you and your sisters review of the Sun coming up.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I had decided to go on the Jewel for a few reasons. One being that I realized I've already been on the Dawn back in 2012! Don't know where my head is lately.

Then.......

Okay, don't shoot me -

Flight was so reasonable to Tampa and I got a great deal on the Sun....

so, I'm taking the Sun.

BUT - I will get to the Jewel. Thinking Alaska maybe in August or September.

However that goes to Sawyer Glacier instead of Glacier Bay which the Pearl goes to. Again, decisions.....decisions! LOL

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Thinking Alaska maybe in August or September.

However that goes to Sawyer Glacier instead of Glacier Bay which the Pearl goes to. Again, decisions.....decisions! LOL

Harriet

The Sept. 19 sailing on the Jewel goes to Glacier Bay. It's also a 10 day vs. 7 day cruise. Seattle to Vancouver.

I'm driving myself crazy and know no one can make the choice for me but if anyone was on both of these ships - which did they prefer? Itinerary is pretty much the same on both ships and besides, I've already been to Southern, Eastern, and Western Caribbean many times already so at this point it's the ship I'm interested in. Truth be told I was interested in South America but the months offered it's cold there and I'm not crazy about being on the ship when we can't utilize the pool and outdoors like one can when it's warm. As I'm looking for February of this year (yes, I'd let to get away from all the bad weather expected here in Philadelphia) there really is not many options.

Thanks!

Harriet

Since we're from the Tampa area, we'd take the Star, a Dawn class ship first!

Our second choice would be the Pearl (our favorite NCL ship) out of Miami!

But if we had to chose between the 2 you offered, we'd pick the Jewel for the reasons already stated by others!:D

What cabin on Sun?

When I booked there were no aft suites available and from my understanding those beds do not separate, I had the choice of a mini suite aft room 9278 or mini suite forward 1001 or 1201. I took the mini forward 1001. You know the Sun like the back of your hand what are your thoughts? It's a seven day cruise and only two sea days the entire time. My understanding is the forward mini suite the balcony is larger and cabin is larger

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

When I booked there were no aft suites available and from my understanding those beds do not separate, I had the choice of a mini suite aft room 9278 or mini suite forward 1001 or 1201. I took the mini forward 1001. You know the Sun like the back of your hand what are your thoughts? It's a seven day cruise and only two sea days the entire time. My understanding is the forward mini suite the balcony is larger and cabin is larger

Harriet

I have seen those forward cabins, the penthouses and the mini-suites and you are correct about them. Great balconies. They are lovely. Great ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harriet

Thanks for the reassurance as this is something new to me as I believe this is the only ship that has forward Mini suites.

Harriet