Most Casual Allowed Dress for MDR

curious_st

I am beginning to think about packing for our upcoming cruise. In the past, I chose to forego the MDR, but I think that we will go there on this cruise. So, what is the most casual attire that is officially allowed in the MDR on both regular nights and elegant night.

I think mostly anything goes, jeans, nike shoes, I've seen t-shrts on non formal nights. I would stay away from gym shorts or work out clothes like yoga pants. When I say gym shorts I'm thinking of my husband's mesh shorts that he wears when he mows the lawn.

I checked Carnival's website, but I found the wording confusing. For instance, what are dressy shorts? They are allowed, but shorts are listed as prohibited. Can my hubby wear khaki shorts down to his knees with a polo or tee shirt and sneakers on a regular night? And, jeans or capris and a plain v-neck knit shirt with Sperrys be OK for me on a regular night? Would black dress pants and a sparkly sweater set be OK for me on elegant night? And, khaki pants with brown sandals (not flip flops) or Sperrys and a polo for him on elegant night? Yes, your husband can wear khaki shorts and a polo to dinner. Mine often does. And a v-neck with sperrys would be more than fine for you on a regular night. Long khaki pants should also be fine on elegant night for your husband. My husband used to bring his suit, but we just don't bother with taking up the space in the luggage anymore. He doesn't enjoy getting that dressed up and I don't feel like it is really needed. You will see a range of very dressy to pretty casual for men and women on formal night. Black pants and a sweater is more than fine for you on formal night. I wear a dress, but often I change right after dinner to something more comfortable.

Please don't flame. We do not dress trashy in any way. We do not bare too much skin, wear offensive graphics or wording on clothes, and believe that flip flops belong on the beach and not on the streets. We are just trying to pack in 1 suitcase each, and not purchase clothing that we will only wear once a year when on vacation.

I have responded to your questions in bold in your quote.

I saw passengers in "my family cruise" tee shirts, shorts and flip flops in the MDR on "elegant" night during a recent Conquest cruise.

I wore a dress shirt, slax, and shoes, no tie. I wore a similar style to the steakhouse too. All packed in a carry on for a B2B cruise.

There is such a variety of dress no matter which line you go on. The only line I've cruised where most people look very formal was Holland America. Otherwise, both Carnival and Celebrity have a good mix of formally dressed (long dresses, suits, tuxes) and closer to business casual (nice shirt and slacks, top and skirt or shorter dress) on formal nights. On the rest of the nights, on both celebrity and carnival I've seen shorts and tshirts in the mdr. My husband and I always tend more towards the dressy side because we like it, but we aren't offended if others choose to dress more casually. We also enjoy getting the formal pictures taken at the different stations and picking one of them to order.

We just stepped office ship and I can agree

The MDR was casual- way casual.

We dress nice- church clothes- and I saw it all including hats being worn.

If I dressed in my church clothes, they wouldn't let me into the MDR. I used to attend Surfer's Church. The usual dress was swim trunks and a tank top. Hats are perfectly acceptable to wear to dinner in many cultures.

I saw passengers in "my family cruise" tee shirts, shorts and flip flops in the MDR on "elegant" night during a recent Conquest cruise.

I wore a dress shirt, slax, and shoes, no tie. I wore a similar style to the steakhouse too. All packed in a carry on for a B2B cruise.

we were on the sept.26th liberty cruise and as we were going into the mdr they turned away several people with shorts on. this was on elegant night.

a couple of the people really were mad.:)

So, will we look out of place if my family and extended family is dressed in suits and gowns? This is a lot of our first cruises and we were excited about dressing up and taking pics. But if we will stick out like a sore thumb, Im not so sure now.

We were planning on sundresses (women) and khaki's and a button up shirt(men) for the regular nights and suits and gowns for elegant night.

I'm not sure what to do now.

You will definitely not be out of place if you dress up. We have been on 14 cruises and dress up on elegant night, every time. You will see a lot of people that don't, used to bug me but not so much anymore. I just figure there are low class people that like to push the envelope everywhere. To me formal means FORMAL, but to others formal means blue jeans without holes in the knees. But you will be with at least 50% of the others both on regular and formal nights. Slacks and polo or button up shirt is very common for regular nights, suit and tie is very common for formal night.

You will definitely not be out of place if you dress up. We have been on 14 cruises and dress up on elegant night, every time. You will see a lot of people that don't, used to bug me but not so much anymore. I just figure there are low class people that like to push the envelope everywhere. To me formal means FORMAL, but to others formal means blue jeans without holes in the knees. But you will be with at least 50% of the others both on regular and formal nights. Slacks and polo or button up shirt is very common for regular nights, suit and tie is very common for formal night.

Wow, sorry but your low class people comment is pretty rude. Just because someone doesn't dress to your standards doesn't make them low class. It makes them different than you. I'm sure there are plenty of "high class" people that when they are on vacation they just want to be more casual than you.

I really find this hysterical. I was on a 15 day cruise and we met so many people. Such a large percentage of them were Texans. Guess who was dressed the worst on this cruise? Yup, you guessed it, the Texans. Dirty jeans, big dirty hats, dirty boots. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

To call ANYBODY low class is so disrespectable.

I really find this hysterical. I was on a 15 day cruise and we met so many people. Such a large percentage of them were Texans. Guess who was dressed the worst on this cruise? Yup, you guessed it, the Texans. Dirty jeans, big dirty hats, dirty boots. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

To call ANYBODY low class is so disrespectable.

Whoa! Pass me the popcorn and pour me a beer, this s*** just got real! :cool::cool::cool:

That's a pretty hastily cast aspersion on ther Lone Star State, Susie. Almost as bad as telling a Canadian he has bad table manners!

Over to you Texas!

Capris have always been a mainstay for women. For men, dress shorts (Bermuda style, I guess you'd say) and a collared shirt (golf/polo) is more appropriate than a tee shirt. Yes, your black slacks/sparkly top are fine on elegant night on Carnival. Sandals are in NO WAY elegant...bring some closed toed shoes! Even "boat shoes"/docksiders would be better than bare toes!

Carnival is one of the more casual lines...you'll be fine.

Really, sandals no way elegant....I have very elegant sandals that I wore to my daughters wedding...Silver, heels very dressy - I can't wear them!!! I think you worded this incorrectly - maybe you were referring to flip flops.

Really, sandals no way elegant....I have very elegant sandals that I wore to my daughters wedding...Silver, heels very dressy - I can't wear them!!! I think you worded this incorrectly - maybe you were referring to flip flops.

I completely agree. To say that shows a pretty narrow view of fashion. Perhaps not elegant for men, but for women? That's just silly.

Edited by momof3cruisers

We loved to get all dressed up - part of what makes cruising special - even went so far as to buy a couple of tuxes -

But with so many cruises under (and now over) our belts - the tuxes seemed to have shrunk somehow ?!?!?

So now a days we tend to dress a little more casually. Also with luggage restrictions on flights we try and keep the weight down.

I'll typically wear a jacket on the plane - and then I have it for most dinners - but you'll be fine with everything you've mentioned.

OP, what you described is perfectly fine and more than enough. In fact you can go more casual than that and still be perfectly ok. Don't worry, and dress casual and enjoy your cruise!

So, will we look out of place if my family and extended family is dressed in suits and gowns? This is a lot of our first cruises and we were excited about dressing up and taking pics. But if we will stick out like a sore thumb, Im not so sure now.

You will be perfectly ok! Don't worry, and dress up and enjoy your cruise!