B2B Canal?

hensghan

Just curious. Has anyone here ever done back-to-back Panama Canal cruises? From Fort Lauderdale to San Diego and then back to Fort Lauderdale? If so, are the exact same ports visited both going and returning? We'd like to experience a full transit of the Canal but really don't want to have to fly to do it.

We also did this as a B2B. 14 days San Diego to Fort Lauderdale and another 14 days return for a total 28 days. It was wonderful. There were a few repeat ports of call, but most were different on the return. We found the canal to be a different experience on the return, and did not feel it was just a repeat. You get a different view and perspective. And we found the view of the new construction was very interesting. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and plan on doing the B2B again once the new locks open.

We did this cruise a couple of years ago on the Statendam. The only repeat port was Huatulco, and even it was different. The first time we were there it was a Sunday. Stayed until 11 pm. Mariachi band was brought on board. The beach was full of locals. There was a market. We watched a wedding in the church on the beach. The second visit was a weekday. It was much quieter. We really enjoyed this cruise. It was very relaxing, as there was a sea day, a port day, a sea day, etc. Our favourite port was Antigua, Guatemala. Take the Hal bus to get there, and hire a local guide. Make sure you try a panama bun, while transiting the canal. There are web cams at the locks, so friends can see the ship going thru. We had a submarine in the lock next to us. Great trip. Would love to do it again.

We also did this as a B2B. 14 days San Diego to Fort Lauderdale and another 14 days return for a total 28 days. It was wonderful. There were a few repeat ports of call, but most were different on the return. We found the canal to be a different experience on the return, and did not feel it was just a repeat. You get a different view and perspective. And we found the view of the new construction was very interesting. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and plan on doing the B2B again once the new locks open.

I was looking for a b2b routing like that, starting in CA for next year and haven't found one yet. We'd made two transits but would love to do the long b2b.

A couple of years ago, when we did a one-way westbound through the Canal, we met a couple on board who'd never cruised before. They'd done the 14-night eastbound already, back-to-back with the cruise that we joined. That was a brave choice for them to make. I have a feeling that 28 nights on a ship in one go as your first cruising experience might ensure that it's your last!

I was looking for a b2b routing like that, starting in CA for next year and haven't found one yet. We'd made two transits but would love to do the long b2b.

Veendam, February 7, 2015 - 14 day San Diego to Fort Lauderdale with return to San Diego on February 21. 😃

Interestingly Puerto Quetzal, Corinto, Puerto Caldera, and Cartegena are the ports that are repeated this time, not the ones in Mexico. All interesting places that I could return to a few times and still find something different to see each time.

Veendam, February 7, 2015 - 14 day San Diego to Fort Lauderdale with return to San Diego on February 21. 😃

Thank you! I hadn't been looking at that early in the year since I'd thought they started in April. Each itinerary is slightly different and each one has a port we've never been to. Will have to give this some serious thought.