carnival...rc

No one chooses Carnival for their free food choices or quality either...Seriously. :D:D:D

Maybe, naybe not, but if you want to compare which the OP did, the free food on Carnival is better! The pay food on RCL is better! Seriously!:D

Edited by American Bear

That's all you got, hot dogs, the reviewer was correct, 'no one' chooses RCL for their free food choices or quality!

Seriously!:eek:

No one chooses Carnival for their free food choices or quality either...Seriously. :D:D:D

Does anyone...seriously...chose any of the major cruise lines just for the quality of the free food? :confused: That would be a little weird.

Does anyone...seriously...chose any of the major cruise lines just for the quality of the free food? :confused: That would be a little weird.

More like really weird. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just came back from our first Royal cruise on FOS after 8 on Carnival. Prior to booking any cruise we check pricing on all lines and make our decision. Finally got a deal on Royal and we were able to try it. The verdict? No big difference to us.

Saw just as many people in the MDR (including on formal night) wearing shorts and hats, and food was comparable (although it was nice to have a change after 8 cruises with the same menu).

We aren't much into the shows....too tired to watch....getting old I guess! We did enjoy the promenade area.

Overall, we'd cruise either line for the right price.

Maybe, naybe not, but if you want to compare which the OP did, the free food on Carnival is better! The pay food on RCL is better! Seriously!:D

In all honesty, you can't speak of food in absolutes. We have found over the years that it varies from ship to ship and not so much line to line. My worse nightmare dinner was salmon swimming in BBQ sauce on Celebrity and I would rate their food pretty high in our experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Food on both are the same.

They both have warm chewy cookies, great pizza, great hamburgers and hotdogs. The food in the MDR was always hot and fresh.

The omelet station on Royal had great made to order eggs.

Really? You were definitely not on my 2 Explorer cruises because sorry, no great pizza, no warm cookies, the food in the MDR wasn't always hot and fresh.

There are things that I like on Royal:

Steps into the adult pool / solarium area (hate the little ladders into the pool on Carnival)

Freestyle Coke Machines (really dislike the cans of warm soda on Carnival)

Nighttime shows (though in all fairness, we usually only catch one or two of these in a week)

Room service menu (though is that staying the same? I liked the hot entrees on the RS menu on Royal that you can't get on Carnival)

Movie theatre on board (at least it was on the Explorer)

There are things I like on Carnival:

Comfortable beds (sorry, not on Royal - the mattresses were thin, the duvets hard, and when I asked for an eggcrate topper I was told no because I hadn't requested one in advance of the cruise).

Variety of Casual foods - on the Dream we had the pasta bar, the Tandoor station, the burrito bar, the deli, pizza, 24 hour ice cream, the taste bar for appetizers (much better offerings than the Windjammer / Cafe Promenade). And with the 2.0 upgrades I'm excited to try (for free) Guy's burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina.

Variety of alternative entertainment - Comedy club, Kareoke, Superstar Live, trivia, piano bar - there's more happening on Carnival than just the "main event" and since we don't attend the main thing every night, it's nice to have a variety of other stuff happening. (Found our Royal cruises a little on the boring side - not too much to do outside of where they were trying to funnel you to the main show).

There are plusses and minuses to each cruise line. Try them - variety is indeed the spice of life!

Your husband is very original, I've never heard anyone say that on this forum or on a cruise before! If I was married to your husband I would brag all day about how funny and original he is and tell everyone I know, see and meet how he won me over with his witt and banter. I can only imagine what he has to say about Airlines like Southwest and JetBlue. I wouldn't even wanna mention the Holiday Inn cause I'd fear dying from laughing too hard.

I don't really get that statement though. If Carnival is Walmart, then RCI is Target? It's ultimately the exact same thing except one charges a little bit more. Regardless where you buy a toaster from, it's still going to toast. It's not like were comparing Carnival to Princess, Celebrity, HAL Those would be the Macys, Dillards, and JC Penny in my analogy since Carnival was cleverly said to be like Walmart.

Just my thoughts, take them for what they're worth.

Wow! This is one thing I don't get about posters on forums, the need to attack another person because their thoughts and opinions differ from yours. :confused: After all, you ended your own post with "Just my thoughts, take them for what they're worth". There was absolutely no need to go off what you may or may not think about my husband's humor and try to insult him and me. :mad: Lighten up, please. You'll be happier and so will the people around you. ;)

Pennie

I think there are so many factors in this decision! Mostly, your cruise-mates!

We sailed the Carnival Liberty a few years ago - 2 families - 4 kids total, from 3-15 years old. Wasn't our favorite cruise but still fun.

Last August, sailed on the Oasis of the Seas - while the entertainment was top notch, the ship was SO big - it was too large to do most things "well".

November, sailed on the Carnival Dream - part of a large group - it was FUN! We did a flash mob dance on the pool deck - that was a first!

Sailing on the Liberty of the Seas at the end of this month, so will have a better comparison between the lines I've sailed - similar sized ships.

I think the food is mostly subjective - although I did really like the freestyle soda machines on RC. Liked the hot tubs along the edge of the ship on the Oasis. Loved the Roast beef sandwiches on there, too! Didn't like the "reserved" seating for suite/whatever class members - particularly the diving show on Oasis - we got there early, then watched people walk up just before it started to sit in those rows (I think they're held until 5 min before show). It also felt a little like classism - a staff member monitored the seats!

Edited by tinatark

We have cruised both lines and while I agree with several posters that they are more alike than different we prefer Carnival. Now let me be specific. We love to sail from Baltimore so I am only commenting on the ships sailing from this port.

If I have to choose between the Pride and the Grandeur we will choose the Pride.

We really enjoyed the Enchantment and our choice may be more difficult of the Enchantment had stayed in Baltimore.

Pros of the Grandeur and Royal - Itinerary and longer cruises from Baltimore - but Carnival is stepping up and offering longer more diverse itineraries when the Pride returns (plus the upgrades) :D.

We feel the crew/service/entertainment on both lines was equal - good and bad. We did find the Grandeur to feel more crowded than the Pride and this is the main reason we would choose the Pride.

Carnival has better free food as stated by many people. Carnival's steakhouse is also excellent. We enjoyed the for-fee restaurants on Royal and it was nice to have variety.

The rooms are bigger on Carnival and the beds more comfortable - but this isn't a big deal to us.

Honestly, we would cruise either line for the right itinerary and price!

I just don't understand the need to say one "line" is so much better than the other.

There are certain aspects that one line may do better than another line, but then you have the debate within each line as to which ships are better and it goes on and on.....lol

We have cruised on RCCL, Carnival, NCL and Princess. To be honest every cruise had high and low points. I look at it this way, usually everyone has a date they can travel, then look at the ports that we would like to visit and then I book with whoever I can get the least expensive balcony. I can honestly say I have never had a bad cruise, I have had bad service, bad food, etc, but I just don't let that ruin my trip.

Come on people, we are talking about vacation! Not politics or religion!

Anyway, we have sailed on both CCL and RCI and prefer Royal for a few reasons. That being said, we have had wonderful vacations on Carnival and would sail on another in a minute. In my experience, the service is a notch better on Royal, we enjoy the Royal ship design better, and we enjoy the shows more on Royal. The design of the Windjammer is superior to the Lido on Carnival, although I do feel that Carnival has more "free" food options available on their 2.0 ships than do comparable Royal ships. Our best cruise experience was on our Med cruise on the Magic. Variety is the spice of life. We all have a favorite restaurant but if we ate there every meal it would get boring. I think it is great to try different lines, ships, itineraries, etc. I just wish I had more time and money to try Princess, Holland America, NCL and MSC!! Maybe soon! Enjoy!

Come on people, we are talking about vacation! Not politics or religion!

Anyway, we have sailed on both CCL and RCI and prefer Royal for a few reasons. That being said, we have had wonderful vacations on Carnival and would sail on another in a minute. In my experience, the service is a notch better on Royal, we enjoy the Royal ship design better, and we enjoy the shows more on Royal. The design of the Windjammer is superior to the Lido on Carnival, although I do feel that Carnival has more "free" food options available on their 2.0 ships than do comparable Royal ships. Our best cruise experience was on our Med cruise on the Magic. Variety is the spice of life. We all have a favorite restaurant but if we ate there every meal it would get boring. I think it is great to try different lines, ships, itineraries, etc. I just wish I had more time and money to try Princess, Holland America, NCL and MSC!! Maybe soon! Enjoy!

Agree! (where the heck is that like button)

While being no expert on this I like both. We have sailed each one once. We have each one booked again. I found the food on each to be fine. I assure you I did not go hungry. I do not cruise for the food. I search the best itinerary and then see if there is a ship going there that is a good size quality ship. I check the price and bingo, I pull the trigger. Never once has food quality come to mind.

What sounds weird is making excuses for an area, 'the free food areas on RCL' that is very poor, and not as good as other cruise lines!

Since we eat over 90% of our cruise meals in the free food areas, YES it does matter in our final determination along with many other areas that we have a great dislike of RCL's free food quality, and offerings!:eek:

What is also weird is ignoring comments mentioned that states what areas RCL does better then Carnival, such as

1)the quality of RCL pay rests. are better on RCL,

2)there are more things to do on the larger RCL ships then Carnival, and

3)the theater show entertainment quality on the larger RCL ships is better then Carnivals!

All of these are areas of consideration including free food offerings, and the price of the cruise, are considerations people use to make which Cruise Line they'll take!

Maybe you don't, maybe you have others, but because people have different requirements in selecting a cruise then you doesn't make it weird!:eek::eek:

Really? You were definitely not on my 2 Explorer cruises because sorry, no great pizza, no warm cookies, the food in the MDR wasn't always hot and fresh.

There are things that I like on Royal:

Steps into the adult pool / solarium area (hate the little ladders into the pool on Carnival)

Freestyle Coke Machines (really dislike the cans of warm soda on Carnival)

Nighttime shows (though in all fairness, we usually only catch one or two of these in a week)

Room service menu (though is that staying the same? I liked the hot entrees on the RS menu on Royal that you can't get on Carnival)

Movie theatre on board (at least it was on the Explorer)

There are things I like on Carnival:

Comfortable beds (sorry, not on Royal - the mattresses were thin, the duvets hard, and when I asked for an eggcrate topper I was told no because I hadn't requested one in advance of the cruise).

Variety of Casual foods - on the Dream we had the pasta bar, the Tandoor station, the burrito bar, the deli, pizza, 24 hour ice cream, the taste bar for appetizers (much better offerings than the Windjammer / Cafe Promenade). And with the 2.0 upgrades I'm excited to try (for free) Guy's burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina.

Variety of alternative entertainment - Comedy club, Kareoke, Superstar Live, trivia, piano bar - there's more happening on Carnival than just the "main event" and since we don't attend the main thing every night, it's nice to have a variety of other stuff happening. (Found our Royal cruises a little on the boring side - not too much to do outside of where they were trying to funnel you to the main show).

There are plusses and minuses to each cruise line. Try them - variety is indeed the spice of life!

Really agree with everything you wrote!

By the way Guy's burgers are really good!

Agree with you also about Variety is the spice of life, we find cruising just one cruise line boring!:D