What Line for Cruise #3? Something new?

Dreacrusingaway

So,

I want to plan a cruise for next summer for myself and my 2 daughters age 9 and 13.

Last May we took our 1st cruise on the Carnival Sunshine, 5 days and they loved it. This April we are taking a way too short 3 day Disney Cruise. I want them to have the DCL experience one and I want to see what the hype is all about.

I want to plan a longer one for summer, at least 7 days, the 5 day was too short and it was exhausting with only one sea day and 3 port days. I needed a vacation from my vacation as we did all 3 ports (Key West, Nassau and Freeport)

So I am debating between going back to Carnival for the summer cruise or trying something new. Disney is out as their 7 day summer rates would make me faint.

My main concerns are

1. Kids Club- I want a vacation. Meaning I don't want to entertain kids. My kids LOVED Camp Carnival and Circle C. I want family time, we can do things together in port. But on sea days, I want to see them at breakfast and dinner and bedtime. I want them to have so much fun I am dragging them away from the kids activities while they cling to their counselors. I need some space. A good kids club is a dealbreaker for me. Because if they don't want to be there, my vacation is no longer a "vacation". My husband went with me last time and this time I will be on my own.

2. Food. It needs to be good. My kids did not love the food on the Sunshine. One (13 year old) is picky who does not like new things. The other (9 year old) is a foodie with an adventurous palate. We ate in the MDR twice and did specialty the other nights. Actually they (husband included) flat out refused to eat in the MDR again. Their favorites were the Steakhouse and JiJi's. They did not like the Italian at all. So we need good food. My 9 year old eats her steaks med rare, eats raw oysters and even watched conch salad being prepared and ate it. A kids menu with chicken fingers is not her style and she wants good food. I am on her side on this one.

3. Nice Stateroom- We had a Spa Cabin on the Sunshine and loved it. I need a comfy bed and something not too compact.

4. Good bars- I loved the Alchemy bar on the Sunshine. I think it is a must have for cruising Carnival.

5. Entertainment- I guess with a 7 day, I will need something decent, but shows are not the main event for me.

6. Decent pool- The one pool thing on the Sunshine was a mess. A larger pool would be nice.

So.....what cruise line would you recommend I include in my possibilities? Carnival is on the list for sure as we enjoyed our last cruise overall, but think we may like a different ship better.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know many of you have cruised on many different lines over the years.

For Cruise #3, I would certainly consider Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas. She sails r.t. from Port Canaveral, alternating eastern and western itineraries. I prefer the eastern: CocoCay (private island), day at sea, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, then 2 days at sea. That gives you time to relax and enjoy the ship, as well as nice ports.

Your children will have a lot of fun and meet new friends in Adventure Ocean, RCI's popular kids program. The Freedom also offers H2O Zone- a kid's water park, flowrider surf simulator, rock-climbing wall, mini-golf, poolside movie screen, the Cupcake Cupboard, DreamWorks Experience (Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda), etc. There are cantilevered whirlpools and the relaxing Solarium, an adult-only pool.

I like Chops Grille for a filet, as well as Portofino (Italian). These are both specialty restaurants with an extra charge.

Feel free to come over to the Royal Caribbean forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83. :)

p.s. If just you and your DH were sailing, I would definitely check out Celebrity Cruises.

So,

I want to plan a cruise for next summer for myself and my 2 daughters age 9 and 13.

Last May we took our 1st cruise on the Carnival Sunshine, 5 days and they loved it. This April we are taking a way too short 3 day Disney Cruise. I want them to have the DCL experience one and I want to see what the hype is all about.

I want to plan a longer one for summer, at least 7 days, the 5 day was too short and it was exhausting with only one sea day and 3 port days. I needed a vacation from my vacation as we did all 3 ports (Key West, Nassau and Freeport)

So I am debating between going back to Carnival for the summer cruise or trying something new. Disney is out as their 7 day summer rates would make me faint.

My main concerns are

1. Kids Club- I want a vacation. Meaning I don't want to entertain kids. My kids LOVED Camp Carnival and Circle C. I want family time, we can do things together in port. But on sea days, I want to see them at breakfast and dinner and bedtime. I want them to have so much fun I am dragging them away from the kids activities while they cling to their counselors. I need some space. A good kids club is a dealbreaker for me. Because if they don't want to be there, my vacation is no longer a "vacation". My husband went with me last time and this time I will be on my own.

2. Food. It needs to be good. My kids did not love the food on the Sunshine. One (13 year old) is picky who does not like new things. The other (9 year old) is a foodie with an adventurous palate. We ate in the MDR twice and did specialty the other nights. Actually they (husband included) flat out refused to eat in the MDR again. Their favorites were the Steakhouse and JiJi's. They did not like the Italian at all. So we need good food. My 9 year old eats her steaks med rare, eats raw oysters and even watched conch salad being prepared and ate it. A kids menu with chicken fingers is not her style and she wants good food. I am on her side on this one.

3. Nice Stateroom- We had a Spa Cabin on the Sunshine and loved it. I need a comfy bed and something not too compact.

4. Good bars- I loved the Alchemy bar on the Sunshine. I think it is a must have for cruising Carnival.

5. Entertainment- I guess with a 7 day, I will need something decent, but shows are not the main event for me.

6. Decent pool- The one pool thing on the Sunshine was a mess. A larger pool would be nice.

So.....what cruise line would you recommend I include in my possibilities? Carnival is on the list for sure as we enjoyed our last cruise overall, but think we may like a different ship better.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know many of you have cruised on many different lines over the years.

No advice but I want to cruise with you, I'm 65 and low maintenance.

For Cruise #3, I would certainly consider Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas. She sails r.t. from Port Canaveral, alternating eastern and western itineraries. I prefer the eastern: CocoCay (private island), day at sea, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, then 2 days at sea. That gives you time to relax and enjoy the ship, as well as nice ports.

Your children will have a lot of fun and meet new friends in Adventure Ocean, RCI's popular kids program. The Freedom also offers H2O Zone- a kid's water park, flowrider surf simulator, rock-climbing wall, mini-golf, poolside movie screen, the Cupcake Cupboard, DreamWorks Experience (Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda), etc. There are cantilevered whirlpools and the relaxing Solarium, an adult-only pool.

I like Chops Grille for a filet, as well as Portofino (Italian). These are both specialty restaurants with an extra charge.

Feel free to come over to the Royal Caribbean forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83. :)

p.s. If just you and your DH were sailing, I would definitely check out Celebrity Cruises.

Sounds like fun. I will have to add RCCL to the possibilities. My 5 day cruise showed me that I am a sea day gal. We had one sea day then back to back ports until the end. It was exhausting. On a 7 day, I don't want more than maybe 3 ports. Lots of ports are great on paper, but the reality is port days with kids are exhausting.

What I really need is a solo or adult gals only trip. I need rest! Alas, I don't think DH could properly hold down the fort and I think he would be like oil and water with the near 13 year old. I fear I would return to pure chaos.

Be careful! You may be totally spoiled by the Disney cruise.:D

I was worried about that!! The odd thing is my 9 year old has little interest in the Disney Cruise, its my soon to be 13 year old that wanted to go on it. My 9 year old basically asked if there was a ropes course and when I said no, she indicated she would rather cruise Carnival again.

But we got a good deal on the weekend after Easter. The same cruise would have been over $1000 more the weekend prior (2A2C) so I figured we would get a taste of the DCL magic. I doubt they can sprinkle enough pixie dust to justify the price difference vs other lines, but being able to bring my own alcohol is a nice start.

I have to figure the BYOB vs Cheers or other beverage package into my overall costs. Though rum and coke in my room could never compare to the wonderful concoctions of the Alchemy bar. Did I mention I loved that place?!

No advice but I want to cruise with you, I'm 65 and low maintenance.

Come on! I will take low maintenance over hormonal pre-teen/teenage girl any day. She is supposed to turn 13 in 3 weeks....if I don't throttle her first and go to prison in which case worrying about what cruise line to take is a moot point. Do children have no sense of danger when they open their mouths these days?

Yes, try the Freedom of the Seas! Both kids can do the Flow Rider (surfing on land) and will love it like I did.

But don't forget the Sunshine also does 7 and 8 day day cruises to the Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean. On the Southern you have 3 ports so more sea days.

Just wait a few years. Ha ha. I have a cranky 17-year old. My family prefers sea days but you can always turn a port day into a sea day by just staying on board. Our last three cruises were the two-week RTs from LA to Hawaii on Princess, which is mostly sea days, and there's plenty of activities. The final day is at Ensenada (due to the PVSA rules), which we (and about 90 per cent of the other passengers) just treat as a sea day, with packing a necessary activity.

RCCL - especially Oasis, Allure or Quantum or NCL - Epic, Getaway, Breakaway. Both lines are outstanding for kids AND adults with so much to do and so much entertainment you will all be spoiled for choice. In fact you really don't need to schedule any shore excursions when on these ships because there is so much to do onboard that you can't do it all in a week.

You might want to consider a Princess cruise.

My grandchildren also love Celebrity.

LuLu

OP wants to sail next summer. I am assuming in the Caribbean. If so, I don't believe there are any Celebrity or Princess ships there in the summer. Only Carnival, NCL, & RCI.