Confused over VAT on European Cruises

DYKWIA

Hi,

First off we're British so any tax charged we can't claim back.

We're looking at a cruise from Rome to Spain next May on the Eclipse (via Greece and Turkey). I'm wondering what the VAT situation will be whilst on the ship - getting some mixed responses saying we'll be charged in Spain (where we dock only) and some saying we'll be charged at the Spanish rate throughout despite leaving from Italy - where I think VAT is 21%).

If VAT will be charged is there anyway to minimise the impact - pre purchase drinks packages (there's an offer on at the moment)?

Will the VAT rate change throughout the cruise?

Hi,

First off we're British so any tax charged we can't claim back.

We're looking at a cruise from Rome to Spain next May on the Eclipse (via Greece and Turkey). I'm wondering what the VAT situation will be whilst on the ship - getting some mixed responses saying we'll be charged in Spain (where we dock only) and some saying we'll be charged at the Spanish rate throughout despite leaving from Italy - where I think VAT is 21%).

If VAT will be charged is there anyway to minimise the impact - pre purchase drinks packages (there's an offer on at the moment)?

Will the VAT rate change throughout the cruise?

We sailed Equinox in June from Venice to Istanbul. No VAT was charged when the stores were open for goods. The stores were not open until we were under way. For wine purchases, we were once charged when we ordered a bottle while docked.

Since you are leaving EU territory entirely when in Turkey, I don't see why they would charge all the time. I've only heard of that happening when the ship never leaves the EU. I certainly can't see them charging Spanish rates the entire time!

According to European law you´re not charged any VAT when the cruise has non EU port. Otherwise the VAT of the country is coming in where the cruise starts. As for Spanish ports I had it with cruises that weren´t supposed to charge any VAT at all but they did for Spanish ports (like on our recent TA out of Fort Lauderdale with a stop in Malaga - Spanish VAT was added from 1 hour prior to arrival until 1 hour past departure).

BTW I´ve been on the Quantum pre inaugural out of Southampton (no stop at all) and we bought a magnet onboard - had to pay British VAT on that magnet ;)!

steamboats

While in port in Barcelona a couple of years ago, I was charged VAT on a bottle of beer. I even stated this in a few other threads about the VAT. That cruise stopped in Turkey.

Last month I did the same thing- I ordered a beer while in Barcelona. This time, there was no tax.

In both cases I had a beverage package purchased before the cruise.

I cannot explain it.