Comfort Suites Miami Airport North question

lukydog

Am considering booking the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North the night before our cruise on the Breeze in December. We won't be getting into MIA until 8:16 PM so decided might as well stay close to airport. Like the idea of complimentary airport and cruise shuttle and the reviews on Trip Advisor are good! Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere within walking distance to pick up a couple 12 packs of pop to take with us on the cruise? Thanks!

Am considering booking the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North the night before our cruise on the Breeze in December. We won't be getting into MIA until 8:16 PM so decided might as well stay close to airport. Like the idea of complimentary airport and cruise shuttle and the reviews on Trip Advisor are good! Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere within walking distance to pick up a couple 12 packs of pop to take with us on the cruise? Thanks!

Try calling the hotel and asking them.:)

That is not an area where you want to be walking around at night. I'd pick somewhere else in Miami to stay. Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. There is a Courtyard or a Residence Inn with an airport shuttle.

Thanks for all the input! The reviews on Trip Advisor made it seem like a safe location. Guess I'll be rethinking that one!

Written by people who don't live here.

In general the area around the Miami airport is pretty bad.

You can find hotels in other areas with shuttles that are much better areas for the same price or a few dollars more. It is the Coral Gables Courtyard Marriott that has the free airport shuttle.

I've stayed at this hotel in 2013 and most recently in August 2014. It looks pretty sketchy and that is coming from a Brooklynite (I've lived in some pretty rough areas). I needed to get some things at about 9 pm and asked the front desk clerk if it was safe. He and another Florida native said the area was fine as long as i didn't walk too far up ( I kind of guessed it was pretty rough out that way, based on what looked to be crackheads hanging around in the early morning). However, I took the walk and I'm still alive. I walked to the gas station and there weren't many people out.

I probably wouldn't do the walk again unless I absolutely needed something that couldn't wait.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Kingisacruiser

Have stayed there twice without issue.

Gas station at the corner. DD and I walked a few blocks down to a subway for dinner never felt unsafe and the next morning walked the neighbourhood behind us while waiting for the shuttle. Was fine.

Next time hubby and I walked to the Denny's even a few more blocks away was fine. Only small issue was they had to wait to seat us in a section where the waitress spoke English but also never felt unsafe.

The gas station seemed to make up prices as we where charged different prices for the same thing about 4 hours apart.

The hotel itself was very clean and the staff was very helpful. Would stay there again without hesitation

Kim

Gas station at the corner. DD and I walked a few blocks down to a subway for dinner never felt unsafe and the next morning walked the neighbourhood behind us while waiting for the shuttle. Was fine.

Next time hubby and I walked to the Denny's even a few more blocks away was fine. Only small issue was they had to wait to seat us in a section where the waitress spoke English but also never felt unsafe.

The gas station seemed to make up prices as we where charged different prices for the same thing about 4 hours apart.

The hotel itself was very clean and the staff was very helpful. Would stay there again without hesitation

Kim

This makes me crazy.

Just because YOU didn't feel unsafe and nothing happened doesn't mean it is a safe area to walk around in.

It isn't.

Why would this make you crazy

A question was asked and I answered it based on my opinion and my experience

Because I live here, I'm in the area all the time, I watch the local news and know what goes on in that area.

You, visit once or twice and because nothing happened to you declare it a safe area.

It is very bad advice.

How would you feel if the family got robbed at gunpoint because they followed your advice?

I didn't declare it safe... I said I never felt unsafe. This entire site is based on peoples experience and opinions. I never claim to live in the area.

And don't be so horrible in your comment about someone being robbed at gunpoint of course I would be devastated I was just giving what I expericed staying there isn't that was those who don't live in the area give?

I think your comments are very mean I was just trying to answer a question that was posted maybe that is why so many people read but dont' comment because of people like you.

Kim

PLEASE DISREGARD MY OPINION! I would delete this if I could. Listen to people who live in the area they would know better of course.

Kim

Edited by MikeNKim

I didn't declare it safe... I said I never felt unsafe. This entire site is based on peoples experience and opinions. I never claim to live in the area.

And don't be so horrible in your comment about someone being robbed at gunpoint of course I would be devastated I was just giving what I expericed staying there isn't that was those who don't live in the area give?

I think your comments are very mean I was just trying to answer a question that was posted maybe that is why so many people read but dont' comment because of people like you.

I'll try again and this is my last comment.

There area is not safe especially at night. It is a hotbed of violent crime.

Miami has an inordinate amount of illegal aliens who ten to live in poorer neighborhoods.

The areas surrounding the airport for the most part are poorer neighborhoods.

There are also many gang members who live in neighborhoods surrounding the airport as well as Opa-Locka, Overtown, Liberty City, etc.

Gang members and illegal aliens do not or cannot hold down jobs.

How do they make a living? They prey on tourists because they know little to nothing will happen to them for ripping off a tourist.

There are also a ton of pawn shops and strip joints in that area which are also hotbeds of crime and drugs.

Miami is NOT an American city. It is nothing like the US. Not only are the cops corrupt as hell, so it the infrastructure.

Last August, THREE different Miami mayors were arrested for fraud and embezzlement.

What do you think about the Hampton Inn and Suites Blue Lagoon? We will be arriving about 6pm the night before the cruise and only need a place to sleep. I liked the location though due to the Publix right accross the street and many fast food/restaurant options within walking distance of the hotel.....

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Wow! I thought I had done my research. I have booked this hotel for this weekend for my stepdaughter and her new husband to stay one night prior to their honeymoon cruise on the Breeze!

I was coming on this board to see if there was a nice restaurant that we could take them to once we pick them up from the airport before we take them to our hotel. Will they be okay once we drop them off at the hotel if they stay inside and just ride the shuttle to the ship? Thank you in advance for any advice or restaurant recommendations in a neighboring area.

What do you think about the Hampton Inn and Suites Blue Lagoon? We will be arriving about 6pm the night before the cruise and only need a place to sleep. I liked the location though due to the Publix right accross the street and many fast food/restaurant options within walking distance of the hotel.....

Thanks!

We've stayed in this area several times - usually around the corner at the Homewood Suites - and have never felt unsafe. Have a good cruise! :)

Oh Wow! I thought I had done my research. I have booked this hotel for this weekend for my stepdaughter and her new husband to stay one night prior to their honeymoon cruise on the Breeze!

I was coming on this board to see if there was a nice restaurant that we could take them to once we pick them up from the airport before we take them to our hotel. Will they be okay once we drop them off at the hotel if they stay inside and just ride the shuttle to the ship? Thank you in advance for any advice or restaurant recommendations in a neighboring area.

Staying on the hotel property they will be fine - walking in the dark to the gas station mart for beer is asking for trouble! :(

I just read the latest review on TripAdvisor, and cancelled the reservation for my daughter immediately!! I don't want her honeymoon to start out in a high crime area. Scary! Thanks Blue for the heads up!

Very unfortunate she got robbed but right outside the lobby door?

Terrible area.

We stayed there before our last cruise. Very nice hotel but in a horrible area . I would not leave the premises, not real safe around the airport. Hotel had everything we needed. Reviews on line we correct. It's very good for a place to stay prior to the cruise. If you want to shop or walk around then you need to stay further from the airport. Hotel had shuttle for 12 per person to the port theorning of our cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed there before our last cruise. Very nice hotel but in a horrible area . I would not leave the premises, not real safe around the airport. Hotel had everything we needed. Reviews on line we correct. It's very good for a place to stay prior to the cruise. If you want to shop or walk around then you need to stay further from the airport. Hotel had shuttle for 12 per person to the port theorning of our cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, the reviews look amazing of the hotel itself. Unfortunate about the area. We re-booked them at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami by Bayview. We sure hope that it is a better area. They are flying down from Michigan - they sure are ready to get out of the snow for a week!

We stayed at this hotel once. The hotel was fine. Next morning, we drove to look for a grocery store and found the neighborhood to be very poor. We stopped at a grocery store maybe 3 blocks away that was obviously not a tourist spot. We didn't feel threatened or afraid, but could understand if people were concerned for their safety while in the area. We would stay at the hotel again and maybe drive to a restaurant on that main street, but wouldn't go down the side streets into the neighborhood again.

• 4 weeks later...