Smartphones on ship

vent1020

I know, I know this has been discussed a ton, but honestly I come on here all the time and haven't seen any questions about this. So, here are my specific questions:

With WiFi pretty much being everywhere now-a-days and usually for free, have cruise lines jumped aboard and can you access WiFi for free on the ships?

I want to use my phone to take pictures(probably a lot) do I have to worry about incurring any charges with my phone being on?

Is airplane mode a safe bet?

When or where is a good place to check emails?(We are doing the Western Caribbean trip)

Any other phone tips that are helpful, I'd appreciate it.

It's about time there was a phone thread again. :D

If by "free Wifi" you mean "I can get my email and access Facebook & everything without paying anything", then no, they don't have free wifi.

On the newer ships like Breakaway, they DO have some online services that are both useful and free. Download the iConcierge app before your trip and you can use that to check the daily schedule, and make reservations much like you can from your cabin TV or any of the touchscreens around the ship.

You can pay a little money ($8 per cruise, I think) and activate in-ship calling and text messaging. This lets you contact other passengers on the ship -- but not the rest of the world.

I would recommend going into airplane mode on board. There probably isn't any cell service or non-NCL wifi accessible while you are sailing so it will save you battery. Check your service provider to see what you might be charged while in foreign ports. If you are in airplane mode, then nobody will charge you just for having your phone on!

Wifi access in port varies a lot by the port. Sometimes you can just go to Starbucks and use their wifi. Ask the crew; most of them seek cheaper wifi in port and will be able to advise you.

If by "free Wifi" you mean "I can get my email and access Facebook & everything without paying anything", then no, they don't have free wifi.

On the newer ships like Breakaway, they DO have some online services that are both useful and free. Download the iConcierge app before your trip and you can use that to check the daily schedule, and make reservations much like you can from your cabin TV or any of the touchscreens around the ship.

You can pay a little money ($8 per cruise, I think) and activate in-ship calling and text messaging. This lets you contact other passengers on the ship -- but not the rest of the world.

I would recommend going into airplane mode on board. There probably isn't any cell service or non-NCL wifi accessible while you are sailing so it will save you battery. Check your service provider to see what you might be charged while in foreign ports. If you are in airplane mode, then nobody will charge you just for having your phone on!

Wifi access in port varies a lot by the port. Sometimes you can just go to Starbucks and use their wifi. Ask the crew; most of them seek cheaper wifi in port and will be able to advise you.

That answers a lot. Thank you.

I know, I know this has been discussed a ton, but honestly I come on here all the time and haven't seen any questions about this. So, here are my specific questions:

With WiFi pretty much being everywhere now-a-days and usually for free, have cruise lines jumped aboard and can you access WiFi for free on the ships?

I want to use my phone to take pictures(probably a lot) do I have to worry about incurring any charges with my phone being on?

When or where is a good place to check emails?(We are doing the Western Caribbean trip)

I had an android on my cruise. I Now have an iPhone but it all works the same...

When the ship is docked in your start/end port (NYC in my case) you can still get a signal. However once you sail out, you will lose it. When this happens, in order from being charged for roaming, activate airplane mode. This turns off the part of the phone that allows you to text, call, etc. since you are leaving the country, you won't be able to access the cell towers so it's much more expensive. You can still use your phone, but cannot access internet unless you have wifi. You can take as many pictures as you want on AP mode. Excluding apps that require Internet, your phone works like normal

Now for wifi..

I can only speak for the Breakaway but you can buy Internet packages. You select how much data you wanna use and pay a flat rate. Once you use all of that amount, you must buy another if you want more access. I used it a few times, but when i didn't use it I didn't necessarily miss my internet. They have an Internet cafe but I never used it.

Oh and one more thing, you can get wifi at a Starbucks, souvenir shop, etc. Some places are free, some make you pay a minimal fee. It all depends

Sorry for a lengthy post, I hope I explained it well!

Edited by jrm116

Yes, airplane mode is for real. It turns off wifi and cellular service. You can then turn WIFI back on and log into the internet just like a computer at the same charge.

You can keep your phone on for phone calls and text back to the states if you want. Just turn off data roaming to avoid lots of extra charges.

Just go into your settings and turn cellular data off. That way you can still access free Wifi and receive or send texts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just go into your settings and turn cellular data off. That way you can still access free Wifi and receive or send texts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You will also receive phone calls with the above advice.

I have verizon and checked with them.their advice is shut off mobile data because any updates you would be charged for.

As far as texts when on board or in any islands other than st Thomas or Puerto Rico ,incoming text is only 5 cents.outgoing is 50 cents.st Thomas and San juan are as if you are home for text and data.san Juan is as if you are home for calling as well.st Thomas calls are 1.99/minute and all other islands are 2.49/ minute and so is ship.they said if you don't answer incoming call you are not charged

Anyone happen to know what AT&T does? We always call from St Thomas and San Juan and have never noticed a charge! Are we missing something??

Unlike Verizon, they treat St Thomas as part of your U.S. plan. Not sure what Verizon does with San Juan, PR - but ATT considers that part of the US plan as well.

FREE!