Solo on Carnival

watson61

I booked a western Caribbean 6-day on the Carnival Freedom in January because the price was so low. It will be my first time on Carnival and I'm curious how the solo experience will be. My first cruise ever was on the Norwegian Epic which of course is great for solos because of the studios and the lounge. In fact, that experience spoiled me for my later cruises: as much as I like the service and general experience on RCL, it's not a line that's particularly solo-friendly, in my opinion. I'll never forget my first night at dinner on the Brilliance when the reaction of my dinner companions to my travelling solo ranged from "Bless your heart" to "I would never do that."

I've read on this board that the most solo-welcoming lines are NCL and Carnival so I'm hoping to have a good time. I'm honestly just looking forward to going some place warm for a week with my trusty Kindle at my side.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences on Carnival as a solo.

I'm doing my first solo cruise in February, on the Carnival Valor, so I've been reading a lot on the Carnival board. I recommend searching for GAPearl's reviews in the Carnival forum. She has done great reviews of several solo cruises, and she always seems to have fun vacations. She also seems very willing to answer questions.

I've done a solo on Carnival! I enjoyed myself - so much so that I'm doing another soon!

I did an assigned seating, and was seated at a table for four. All four of us were solos, two older (one married one not) and two younger (same). It worked out great - not one "Bless your heart!" :p ! I'd suggest that as soon as you get on board, check in with the Maitre D for your table assignment and request a seating you're comfortable with (big table, small table, group of solos, group of couples/families, etc). I got a lot of "Whaaaaat you're sailing solo whyyyy?" from the crew actually, but I never once felt left out of anything, though I'm more of an on-your-own activity kind of person.

The only complaint I had is that I am NOT a talkative morning person. I like to get up early, enjoy the quiet, read the news, etc., before the rest of the world wakes up. I'd go to the main dining room for breakfast and they would NOT give me a table by the window and let me sit by myself. I get that the tables are set up for 8 or 10 but it wasn't busy or anything.

Edited by iamsteph

I'll never forget my first night at dinner on the Brilliance when the reaction of my dinner companions to my travelling solo ranged from "Bless your heart" to "I would never do that."

I've read on this board that the most solo-welcoming lines are NCL and Carnival so I'm hoping to have a good time. I'm honestly just looking forward to going some place warm for a week with my trusty Kindle at my side.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences on Carnival as a solo.

I had two solo experiences on Carnival, both really great. I made friends by day 2, had no trouble finding women to dance with, and almost everyone I met reacted positively to my solo cruising. (My land friends, on the other hand, say something like "I support you, but I wouldn't go by myself".) Crew members treated me with the same friendliness and professionalism they treat couples, groups, and families; especially those whose native language I spoke. Like you, I had assigned seating, and my tablemates were great. Most were older than me. But the ones close to me in age, we ended up hanging out together during the cruise.

I actually have reservations about going solo on NCL. Their lack of assigned dining leaves me feeling like a new kid in the school cafeteria, looking for a place to sit down. Even if someone is nice enough to let me join them, it was probably not their original plan. When table seatings are put together by a person of authority, everyone is in the same boat, as opposed to "a group + 1".

Ironically (or maybe not), the only people who reacted truly negatively to my solo cruising were Customs agents. They saw a young, single dude, and immediately thought "drug runner!!!" So they pulled me into a separate room, and searched my bags and the last 12 years of my travel history. I think what kind of helped me was an Israeli stamp in my passport, and mentioning the Western Wall when they asked me why I went there. Oh well.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

My only two cruises have been solo on Carnival. I'm a truck driver and spend most of my time alone so a solo cruise really was no big deal to me.

Both cruises, I've met great people that I'm still friends with. The best thing , in my opinion, is that I can just relax and be away from the day to day chaos I deal with on the highways 320+ days a year.

Which brings me to the MDR. In my two cruises, I've eaten in the MDR only once. Not because the food was bad (it was excellent in fact), but I found the atmosphere to be loud and chaotic when I want relaxed. I much prefer the steakhouse 2-3 times each cruise and the buffet. And, I will always book the Chef's Table.

Enjoy your cruise! I've still got just over a year til my next, but it's a B2B Southern/Western.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll either like it, be meh whatever or just hate Carnival. Me personally, I'm in the 'meh whatever' camp -The cruise line is pretty ok in regards to the ship size (Splendor), meals were good , the port stops are great, disembark was quick and painless(I did the self one), good sales in the their shops, room was nice(interior), good drinks with decent prices and prompt service. But hopefully you won't encounter what I did with rude passengers with bad case of MYOB at the buffet (bad part about Carnival - good food but not alot choices to eat at, just the buffet for breakfast / lunch during ports, MDR for brunch is open on seadays; buffet choices /area are even more limited for dinner). My tablemates for late diningseating mostly didn't show up for the week, just me and 2 others who were mostly silence at table for 10 soloers.

You'll probably have a better time than I- not saying Carnival is bad (its not, it actually pretty good), but it not solo-friendly to some soloers. Just be aware the biggest problems on Carnival are your fellow passengers saying off-cuff stuff without thinking 1st especially during breakfast and lunch times; whether or not they know you're solo traveler.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I've soloed on Carnival maybe 15 times, usually in an inside cabin, once recently in a balcony. I enjoy the experience, esp. dining in the MDR (Once with 9 ladies at a 10 top and I'm a guy) and hanging out in the "adult" area of the ship near the aft pool and hot tubs. I've met some very interesting people by joining the roll call and showing up for the M&G party. When I want to be alone, it's easy to find a quiet area, and when I want some conversation, it's usually easy to participate. One thing on Carnival I do avoid is the banality of the "entertainment" at the main pool mid ship. It's just not my style.

I've done a solo on Carnival! I enjoyed myself - so much so that I'm doing another soon!

The only complaint I had is that I am NOT a talkative morning person. I like to get up early, enjoy the quiet, read the news, etc., before the rest of the world wakes up. I'd go to the main dining room for breakfast and they would NOT give me a table by the window and let me sit by myself. I get that the tables are set up for 8 or 10 but it wasn't busy or anything.

I prefer the MDR for breakfast and have had no trouble requesting a table for 1 person. You might have been pushing it asking for the window too as they are all large tables.

I have sailed solo on Carnival many times and it has been hit and miss with table mates but they do seem to try to place solos together. I always have assigned seating, early seating. I found at late seating people did not always show. Booked on the Freedom and Glory later this month.

I've had three cruises on Carnival this year - all solo. I think most anyone who's solo can have a great experience with them, depending on what you're looking for. I mainly did my own thing away from the crowds and I was pretty happy with it. If, on the other hand, you're looking to make friends, you can do that too - just do the opposite of what I do. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have sailed solo on Carnival 7 times now and love it! As a matter of fact my second solo cruise was on your ship, the Freedom. It's honestly my preferred way to travel. You do what you want, when you want. I definitely recommend having assigned dining and NOT any time dining. Most people that do ATD want tables by themselves and you might not get seated with others, even if you request it. Carnival is GREAT about seating solo travelers together, or at least at a table with people in your same age range. I would recommend checking with the maitre'd on embarkation day to see who you're seated with. Check out the Fun Times when you board to see when he's available, usually around 2-3 pm. He can look up your table number and give some basic information, like you're at a 10 top and the age range is 25-45. You'll have better luck getting a solo table with late dining more so than early.

Don't be afraid to chat it up with any and everyone. Carnival cruisers are generally very friendly. You can easily have a conversation with the people in the buffet line, by the pool, at the bar, etc if you just say hello. Carnival has great nightlife too. Don't miss the comedy shows, and get there early! If you don't meet other solos at dinner, I promise you can find some at the piano bar or in the night club.

I travel solo about 90% of the time and sometimes get the "you're here by yourself, you're crazy" reaction. Don't let it get to you! Some people just honestly don't know how to be by themselves, and the others are probably secretly jealous that they can't do what you're doing. :p My most recent cruise as a solo on Carnival was on the Splendor last month. Feel free to check out the review in my signature. You'll see I had an absolute blast all by myself. There were a lot of solos on that cruise and I still keep in touch on FB with quite a few of them. I hope this helps a little. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions or concerns. Otherwise go and have a GREAT cruise and be sure to come back and tell us about it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 2 solo on Carnival. I was never treated any different than anyone else. I've made some great friends on those cruises. Now I've got a B2B booked for late 2015 (solo of course). Can't wait! Cruising solo is the most relaxing experience I've ever had!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

When I did a 8 day solo cruise on the Splendor in March, it was because my boyfriend last minute, couldn't get off work. I was bummed and wasn't really looking to cruise without him. But once I got a taste of the solo life, I realized it definitely has its benefits. Which is why I am doing two last minute back to back solo cruises in a few weeks. I don't anticipate feeling bummed at all.

I don't anticipate feeling bummed at all.

You'd have to try hard to be bummed on a cruise!

I used to live in Busan - always looked out for a cruise ship in port there but never saw one.

I did my first Solo cruise in Feb. I have now been on 4 this year with one more solo booked for feb and two cruises booked with friends after that.

Going solo is what you nake of it. I love Karaoke and make sure to do that. I have also met people at the hot tubs and clubs. I came to the conclusion I would rather teavel alone than not at all. One thing I do though is book excursions through the cruise line. I feelnit is safer as they do a good job looking after you. I am looking forward to my upcoming cruises with people, but I am sure I will miss some of my freedom!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by goduckies05

I have done 6 of my 8 recent cruises solo. Carnival is OK 2 of the 4 cruises I was seated at a table with other solo travelers and usually became friends with them. I have had no problem getting a table for one at breakfast when requested, though usually they ask if I mind sitting with a group, if I say yes they will give me my own table, but usually I see the group as an opportunity to meet new folks. THe only times I have been questioned about going solo is at the hotel I stay at the nights before we sail. I always meet lots of folks on the cruise and have people that I hang with by the end of the cruise, and often it is not the other solo travelers. I like NCL as a solo traveler a little better. Their activities staff looks out for you and the entertainers (singers, performers etc) will hang out with you. However Carnival is so cheap I keep booking with them.

On my solo Carnival Freedom cruise a few weeks ago, I had late dining at a large table. It turned out that I was the least experienced cruiser at my table, and I've been on close to 30 cruises! One diner was on her 99th cruise.

It seemed natural that conversation flowed about different cruise experiences, and I enjoyed hearing their opinions on various ships' and cruise lines. Very entertaining!

Hello, I was a solo cruiser on Carnival Paradise in December 2014 . I had a good time. It was my first cruise so I didn't know what to expect. It didn't seem like there were many other solo travelers but i could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked my first solo cruise for Feb 14th out of Galveston, (my 9th cruise). It is my "can't wait to receive nothing for Valentines and my birthday cruise". (ie, recent breakup.) I anticipate this will be the best Valentines/birthday in 12 years!

Hello, I was a solo cruiser on Carnival Paradise in December 2014 . I had a good time. It was my first cruise so I didn't know what to expect. It didn't seem like there were many other solo travelers but i could be wrong.

I also cruised solo on the Paradise but in July on a 4-day cruise to Cozumel. I think I was the only solo on the ship. When I went on a 7-day cruise in September on the Pride, I did notice several solos. So, maybe more solos take longer cruises?

I also cruised solo on the Paradise but in July on a 4-day cruise to Cozumel. I think I was the only solo on the ship. When I went on a 7-day cruise in September on the Pride, I did notice several solos. So, maybe more solos take longer cruises?

Or it just takes more days for solos to find each other?

I went on a 3-day solo cruise last weekend and I didn't show up at the Solo gatherings. I was really enjoying my Aft balcony and just didn't feel like making small talk with strangers that weekend. If the cruise was longer I probably would have made more of an effort, but 3 days isn't enough for me to feel lonely in any way.

I just finished my second Carnival solo cruise and I had the best time ever. I was able to do what I wanted when I wanted. I also met many people and hung out a few times with them. When people found out that I was solo, they thought that was cool. All the staff took care of me and I had a great time on each island. Make sure to look for your roll call on the forums. Sometimes they have meet and greets. I plan on going on another solo in June! I'm hooked!!