AmaVida Douro Cruise Review

Host Jazzbeau

There is an interesting review of an AmaWaterways Douro River cruise on the 2013 AmaVida in the latest issue of Cruise Travel magazine (November/December 2014). It includes lots of detailed information and pictures about the river and ports as well as the ship, so it is a great resource for anyone planning a Douro cruise.

We just finished the AmaVida Douro river cruise...For the most part we really enjoyed it. There are a few differences between this cruise and other AMA cruises.

First the boat is not owned by AMA it is leased from Douro Azule, That's what one has to do if they want to do business in Portugal. The staff, with the exception of our excellent Cruise Director, do not work for AMA Waterways. While we had an excellent waiter the staff is subject to change at a moments notice. We have sailed AMA on the Danube and did no get the same warm fuzzy feeling on this cruise as we have in the past..We felt there was very little loyalty to the line.

Another difference was every stop required substantial bus rides. We understood getting from Lisbon, our start, to Porto and getting from Vega Terron to Madrid would require long bus rides. What we did no realize was almost every day our excursions required a 45 minute to 90 minute bus ride. Unlike the Danube there was virtually nothing to see without taking a bus.

The Douro is very short so we frequently overnighted in various stops.

While we enjoyed the cruise we had way too many long bus rides...

Hope this helps.

Looks like I have to go buy the magazine to see the article. Not going to happen.

Thanks for the caveats about the Douro. Was there scenic day cruising? Anything scenic or stroll-worthy near where the ship docks? I'm wondering if just doing a car trip might do the trick--we've driven around northern Portugal before, but didn't see that particular region, and missed Braga and Gimaraes.

I've been comparing this cruise to those along the Rhone. There seem to be bus trips there too, but I believe the boat often docks in towns that are sights in their own right.

In addition to the leasing and staffing situation Portugal prohibits cruising at night, because the Douro is a treacherous river even after the locks were added -- so all ships on the Douro cruise only in the daytime. The navigable portion is fairly short, so that still leaves time for sightseeing in the towns of the region. But this is a very different cruise from most other itineraries.

it was WONDERFUL. Only long bus ride that I remember was to Salamanaca.Others not bad and I enjoyed the countryside so much the time seem to fly.

Had 2 days in Porto on ours and very easy to walk to town.Enjoyed sailing during day, so beautiful.Even bus ride from Lisbon was enjoyable with a few stops and lunch.

Really, one of my favorites and also one I d consider doing again.Much more scenic than most, great food and wine, interesting ports and excursions.

The crew and boat we had was great, friendly,but know that can vary .

PS. I d say, if in doubt, GO FOR IT.:D

Thanks Jazz and Alexandra for the different perspectives. Didn't know about the prohibition on night cruising--I like the idea of daytime cruising, especially in such a beautiful area. And glad to know that the bus rides aren't onerous--I should know that, having been to the area.

On AMA, do they keep the tour groups small? Are there different activity levels available?

Keep in mind there are 2 itineraries, The Wine and Flamenco , the one we did and Enticing Douro.

Sailing the Douro was a great experience...beautiful.

Yes the groups are small with a slow walker category.:D

Don't get me wrong we enjoyed the trip, we did not expect number of long bus rides.

So I guess the issue is what length of bus ride you consider long. :)

We are planning to take the AMA "Port Wine & Flamenco" one-way Douro itinerary that starts in Madrid and ends in Lisbon. That will involve a really long bus ride from Madrid, stopping in Salamanca, and on to the boat. After that, anything should seem short!

So I guess the issue is what length of bus ride you consider long. :)

We are planning to take the AMA "Port Wine & Flamenco" one-way Douro itinerary that starts in Madrid and ends in Lisbon. That will involve a really long bus ride from Madrid, stopping in Salamanca, and on to the boat. After that, anything should seem short!

You forgot the Porto to Lisbon leg, with a stop at Fatima...another long bus ride....;)

BTW I consider any excursion with a bus ride of over an hour a long ride and we had more than one..

Edited by RichNY

You forgot the Porto to Lisbon leg, with a stop at Fatima...another long bus ride....;)

BTW I consider any excursion with a bus ride of over an hour a long ride and we had more than one..

I didn't forget it, but it's at the end of the cruise. And in Lisbon we'll be renting a car for a week-long drive back to Madrid. Napping on a bus during the less-scenic parts is much more relaxing than driving!

There is an interesting review of an AmaWaterways Douro River cruise on the 2013 AmaVida in the latest issue of Cruise Travel magazine (November/December 2014). It includes lots of detailed information and pictures about the river and ports as well as the ship, so it is a great resource for anyone planning a Douro cruise.

I just received my Cruise Travel today, 5 days after your post. I guess California is a long ways from this publisher. Jazz, thanks for the Heads-Up.

Donna

I just received my Cruise Travel today, 5 days after your post. I guess California is a long ways from this publisher. Jazz, thanks for the Heads-Up.

Donna

I thought everything started in California! ;)

BTW, would you please consider not bolding everything you post? It's supposed to used for emphasis (as above). Thanks!