Great crew on the Zuiderdam!

DaveOKC

Just returned from an 11 day Partial Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam. It was a great cruise and we had a fun time.

I just had to post how fantastic the crew was on the ship. This was our 14th HAL cruise and without a doubt this was the best crew we have sailed with. We did not meet a single staff/crew member who was not pleasant and helpful - it sure made the cruise all that much better. All the HAL crews have been very good on our past cruises, but this one was clearly #1 in our book.

Thanks to the Zuiderdam crew!!

DaveOKC

I have to agree - I've always found the crew on the Zuiderdam the absolute best. I guess it's a sign of a happy ship, and goes from the top down. Captain Turner (if that is who is on right now) is excellent. And things have improved even more in the last couple of years since the change in Hotel Manager.

Captain Turner is indeed an excellent people manager and is really appreciated by his crew. On more than one occasion, we have actually seen him come into the dining room during dinner hours to wish an assistant waiter or wine steward "Happy Birthday". We have had the opportunity to have dinner with him and he is a true gentleman. His personality and enthusiasm transfer over to the crew.

I have to agree - I've always found the crew on the Zuiderdam the absolute best. I guess it's a sign of a happy ship, and goes from the top down. Captain Turner (if that is who is on right now) is excellent. And things have improved even more in the last couple of years since the change in Hotel Manager.

Yes, Captain Turner was onboard. We had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he was always pleasant and friendly.

DaveOKC

DaveOKC Love that ship! We had Capt. Turner on our full transit Repo in October 2012. He gave us a great talk on the behind the scenes tour and is every bit the gentleman and a fine manager.

Edited by maxout

We will be on the Zuiderdam the end of November. Will Captain Turner still be on? Do you recall the name of the Hotel Manager? Also, what is the time of the traditional first seating for dinner?

So glad to read your comment about a exceptional crew.

We are looking forward to being on the Zuiderdam in January. I would love to hear about any HAL excursions that you took.

We took two HAL excursions:

The first was in Cartagena - City Highlights. About 4 hours. Not a good tour, too much walking (much more than listed in the HAL booklet we got onboard), not much of interest to see (except for the fort), two stops for shopping (one was more than enough), it was hot and humid, and the local vendors were everywhere (they actually followed the group around at the various stops). Guide was hard to understand and not very informative. Only positive thing was the air conditioned bus.

Second was in Costa Rica - Tortuero Canals. Great tour and fantastic guide (easy to understand and VERY informative). The canals were interesting and we saw monkeys, alot of sloths high up in the trees, and plenty of birds. Also very small red frogs. Then onto the Dole Banana factory - interesting watching them process the fruit and the guide really did a great job explaining how bananas are grown.

For those of you needing Wi-Fi access: In Aruba go to the Starbucks in the Ren. Mall (about 4-5 blocks from the pier) - strong signal, in Limon, Costa Rica the access was in the pier terminal building - not bad. In Curacao I used the McDonalds in town, but saw the crew using it at the ice cream shop in the nearby Reni Fort (walk through it, not around it like I did).

DaveOKC

We took two HAL excursions:

The first was in Cartagena - City Highlights. About 4 hours. Not a good tour, too much walking (much more than listed in the HAL booklet we got onboard), not much of interest to see (except for the fort), two stops for shopping (one was more than enough), it was hot and humid, and the local vendors were everywhere (they actually followed the group around at the various stops). Guide was hard to understand and not very informative. Only positive thing was the air conditioned bus.

Second was in Costa Rica - Tortuero Canals. Great tour and fantastic guide (easy to understand and VERY informative). The canals were interesting and we saw monkeys, alot of sloths high up in the trees, and plenty of birds. Also very small red frogs. Then onto the Dole Banana factory - interesting watching them process the fruit and the guide really did a great job explaining how bananas are grown.

For those of you needing Wi-Fi access: In Aruba go to the Starbucks in the Ren. Mall (about 4-5 blocks from the pier) - strong signal, in Limon, Costa Rica the access was in the pier terminal building - not bad. In Curacao I used the McDonalds in town, but saw the crew using it at the ice cream shop in the nearby Reni Fort (walk through it, not around it like I did).

DaveOKC

There is also decent wifi at the Cartegena pier. I've done shorex there but find it kinda scary. The area by the pier is nice. They have some gardens, birds and shopping if you are so inclined.

Another AGREE with the fantastic crew and Capt. Turner. Just off the previous 10 day and what a ship, one HAL has got to praise. The ship is spotless, the food excellent and you could not ask for a better staff than on this ship.

Early dinner is at 5:30pm. Escargo sooo good, 2 lobster tails and a great cheese plate. Enjoy your cruise on the best HAL ship so far. :D