Rotterdam.

We sailed from the port of Rotterdam in September 2012 and enjoyed the city and thought that the port was very good. We flew to Amsterdam the day before our cruise and then took the train to Rotterdam where we checked into our hotel. We had a good time seeing the sights in Rotterdam and there were plenty of places to eat. Sailing from the port was very memorable. We were on Holland America's Rotterdam and a boat with water cannons saluted the ship as it sailed from the port and accompanied it down the river. On our return, we checked our luggage at the train station and then took the subway to Schiedam to see the windmills. Then, we ate in Rotterdam before taking the train back to Schiphol airport. Rotterdam was a nice city to walk around in and check-in and embarkation from the port was very efficient as was disembarkation. It was a very good experience.

Hello Dutch Cruise Fan, we will be in Rotterdam from noon to 8pm April 28 arriving on the Regal Princess. We sailed into Rotterdam once before but spent that day in Amsterdam. This time we would like to see Rotterdam. I have not started doing research on Rotterdam but wondering if you could give us some ideas. We are not fans of museums but enjoy walking around a city seeing the sights. Also, will the tulips still be in bloom at that time?

As I remember the port was very nice and the bridge impressive. Also our bus driver was very nice pointing out sights as we went to the train station.

Thank you in advance for any help you might give us.

Susan

Hey Susan, well there are a lot of things to see but it really depends on what you guys like.

I don't like museums either but i really loved the SS Rotterdam museum as the globaliser said aswell.

What i personally really like aswell is a boat tour through the port of Rotterdam or hire a boat and sail through the port yourself ;)

There is also a bus that drives through the city and after that drives into the water and sails through the port ( yes it can drive and sail ).

It is called: "splashtours Rotterdam".

And the boat tour through Rotterdam is with the "Spido".

If you guys like football you can take a tour through the stadium of my favorite team. "De Kuip"

Things that are nice to visit aswell are: Rotterdam Zoo and "de pannenkoekenboot" that is a boat where you can eat as many pancakes as you can fit in while getting a good view of Rotterdam from its waterways!

And there are very, very much museums but i won't you with that as you guys dont like that :D ;)

The tullips should be coming around that time:D

The weather in April can be very good but can be very cold aswell, that is the Netherlands ;)

I hope i gave you some good tips and if not i will hear it from you;)

Greetings from the Netherlands.

• 1 year later...

Transfer from Europort?

We are sailing from Rotterdam to Norway in May and travelling across from Hull via the ferry which docks in Europort. Can anyone advise how best to transfer to the Cruise Terminal used by HAL. There are 3 of us with luggage.

Thanks

Transfer from Europort?

We are sailing from Rotterdam to Norway in May and travelling across from Hull via the ferry which docks in Europort. Can anyone advise how best to transfer to the Cruise Terminal used by HAL. There are 3 of us with luggage.

Thanks

Take the shuttle offered by the ferryline to Rotterdam and a cab from there.

• 3 weeks later...

We spent a couple of days in Rotterdam precruise and really enjoyed it. Very easy to walk around but we also got the tram passes as we like to get on trams and ride them to the end ... just to get out of the city and see where people live etc.

Not really museum people either but thoroughly enjoyed the tax museum. Very interesting.

And no shortage of what looks like lots of great places to eat.

Our only bad experience was at the end when our taxi driver took us, what we knew, the long way round to get to the pier. By the time I looked up and realized it, we were committed. :(

We do not want to fly ..any suggestions for travel to Southampton is most appreciated. Thanks

Train is probably your best option. The journey to Brussels in Belgium takes about 90 minutes. From there you can get a Eurostar train direct to London which takes 2 hours.

From London you have a choice of train or coach to Southampton.

A less obvious alternative would be to take the overnight ferry from Rotterdam to Hull, on the East Coast of England. There is a direct train service from Hull to London or you could , subject to a couple of changes, by pass London and go by train from Hull to Southampton. Or you could hire a car from Hull and drop it off at Southampton which would be a good option if you wanted to see some of England.

David

We do not want to fly ..any suggestions for travel to Southampton is most appreciated. Thanks

How long have you got to make this journey? Obviously the North Sea and the Englsih Channel are in the way, so without flying your only options are to take a ferry over the water or the Eurostar train under it :)

'Easiest' is probably train Rotterdam-Brussels, Eurostar from Brussels to London St Pancras, transfer to London Waterloo and take the train to Southampton. At a guess, that could be done in about 10 hours maybe.

Ferry options would include Rotterdam to Hull (in the north of England a very long way from Southampton) or Hook of Holland to Harwich (east of London, still a long way from Southampton). These will take either all of a day or an overnight on the ferry.

The Man is Seat 61 website (the bible for European train travel) covers these options in the London-Amsterdam section - see http://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm. You need to add on the London-Southampton leg (and take off the Rotterdam/Hook to Amsterdam legs of the ferry itineraries) and do it in reverse, but should help you think about the options.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

We were in Rotterdam last September. We loved the sail-in from the ocean; it was fascinating to see all of the activity along the way. On our way out we sat on our balcony for the entire length of it, and it's one of our fondest memories of the cruise.

The Royal Princess was docked next to the bridge overnight so we had great views of the bridge and the city all night.

We'd love to visit Rotterdam again.