Porter at Embarkation San Juan Port

tennisjon2002

Last Carnival Cruise I went on about 2 years ago was out of New Orleans. When I arrived at the port, there was a porter that took my bags, added a name tag with my room number on them and then basically demanded a tip. He stated there was no where to drop your bags off yourself and you need to use a porter.

What is the situation out of San Juan? I am going to be on Valor next month. Can you drop your bags off yourself or is a porter required? If not, is there a real benefit to using a porter? I am not the type that minds carrying my own bags, in fact I would almost prefer it.

Give the guy a few dollars and don't aggravate yourself over it. Is $2 really worth worrying and dragging your own bag? It's probably the principle of the thing but you're on vacation..... relax.

Edited by sail7seas

Give the guy a few dollars and don't aggravate yourself over it. Is $2 really worth worrying and dragging your own bag? It's probably the principle of the thing but you're on vacation..... relax.

Exactly my thought; at least at PanAmerican-Pier it was like this. And as it was getting warmer, I was happy to get rid of my big bag.

The one time I cruised out of OSJ on the Victory, imho the "porter" service looked like a rag tag bunch of kids. They were taking people's bags and dropping them on the carts, wheel them 75 yards to be dropped onto the carnival carts. Ps when I say dropped, I mean WWF body slam.

Edited by sliderturk99

The one time I cruised out of OSJ on the Victory, imho the "porter" service looked like a rag tag bunch of kids. They were taking people's bags and dropping them on the carts, wheel them 75 yards to be dropped onto the carnival carts. Ps when I say dropped, I mean WWF body slam.

Those rag tag kids likely were longshoremen.

I guess you've never actually seen how they treat bags at the airports then? Working in the hospitality industry I can tell you that a traveler's attitude has a big factor in this. Try giving your best smile for a whole day only to be treated like "remember that my stay pays your salary" by half the people you encounter. Also, it's not an easy task lifting a 25, 35, even right-at-the-airline-limit 50 pound bag from the floor sometimes to chest height to put them into those carts. I bet even bodybuilders would have some trouble after a few dozens of these bags. These "rag tag kids" are trying to make an honest living making someone's trip a bit easier for a few minutes by taking care of their bags. You always have the option of carrying them with you to the terminal. Cut them some slack!!

Just left from San Juan Pan American pier last month...We literally got out of our taxi right in front of the bag drop off desk...we handed over our bags they put tags on them (did put a couple of $'s in the tip jar)...they moved the gate and we walked through the terminal door...very easy to do...Actually one of the easiest ports for embarkation/disembarkation in all the many cruises we've done with RCI.