Spring Break 2015 on Allure...what do we need to know?

Family of four...thinking of spring break on the Allure (eastern itinerary). A few questions for you pros out there:

~We'll have kids (14 and 12) with us. How easy is it to communicate with them if we let them explore the ship on their own? Can we do it through iphones using imessage?

~What are the shows on Allure and can we book in advance?

~Probably will do at least one or two nights of specialty dining...what would you suggest?

~I have been off the boards for a while and saw that Oasis drydocked, are there any changes to Allure?

~Anyone out there experienced with how crowded it will be? I'm assuming the ship will sail pretty full.

Kids have only been on one other cruise (Independence, two years ago) but I know they're going to love the bells and whistles of this class of ship. Any other suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance!

You can use iMessage on the iPhones, but you will have to purchase an unlimited internet package that covers all the phones. I've only seen packages that handle two devices, and that was $230 for the week. So you may have to purchase two of those packages to handle 4 devices.

Edited by clarea

This would depend on your provider. I have tmobile and I can receive texts on the ships for free but it would cost me 50 cents to send one. A phone call would be about $8 per minute though.

My friend has At&t and she is required to purchase a package to be able to send/receive texts on the ship. That package would also allow her to use regular internet and to make phone calls though. I think there were 3 levels and the cheapest was $60.

Wow...okay, I definitely don't want an internet package. Bumping for more responses...

I would try to make an estimate of how many messages each phone will send. AT&T & Verizon charge $0.50 for each text sent. This is using cellular, no WiFi package needed. Then you can compare to the weekly WiFi charges.

This would depend on your provider. I have tmobile and I can receive texts on the ships for free but it would cost me 50 cents to send one. A phone call would be about $8 per minute though.

My friend has At&t and she is required to purchase a package to be able to send/receive texts on the ship. That package would also allow her to use regular internet and to make phone calls though. I think there were 3 levels and the cheapest was $60.

This is not true for us and we have two AT&T phones. With no package, AT&T charges $0.50 for each text sent. The package gives you a certain number of texts with no extra cost.

We went on the Allure with our boys when they were 9 and almost 8, so a bit younger than yours. My husband and I chose to use our two specialty dining nights without the kids (who preferred to dine with Adventure Ocean) and dine at Chops and Giovanni's, both of which were great. We sailed Easter week, and the ship was full, but did not feel overly crowded. There was plenty of space around the pools. As long as you prebook the shows you know you want (Blue Planet, the show at the Aquatheater, etc.), you will be fine. I would just research them and figure out what you like (e.g. we knew Chicago wasn't for us, so didn't book that). You can always change times once on board. There are a few shows that you can't prebook (e.g. a fun kids ice skating show), but will show up in the Cruise Compass once on board. The only time we felt the crowds was during parades on the Promenade, or when the shows let out.

Allure will probably dry dock not long after your cruise. She is schedule to convert to Dynamic Dining in May 2015, I believe, so the dry dock will be right before then. There have been some recent threads on CC about that.

I would have your kids go to the kids programs early on to meet up with others their age. I know some people bring Post-Its, write-on boards, or dry erase markers for the mirrors to communicate at the cabin; schedule meeting times at different places on the ship; try walkie talkies (they are hit or miss); and the apps seem to be hit or miss.

You will love this ship - have fun!

They also have Royal Phones for rent if you are motivated to make sure you get them before they run out. Search for Royal Phones - lots of posts on them. Basically an old iPhone that you can use to call, text and find (GPS locator) kids. I think the last post I read said $17.50 per week per phone. But don't lose them - $1000 per lost phone. But they are very handy!

This is not true for us and we have two AT&T phones. With no package, AT&T charges $0.50 for each text sent. The package gives you a certain number of texts with no extra cost.

Really?!! Thanks! I will let my friend know. I wonder if she didn't explain herself correctly or if the person at AT&T was misinformed or was trying to pull a fast one.

Really?!! Thanks! I will let my friend know. I wonder if she didn't explain herself correctly or if the person at AT&T was misinformed or was trying to pull a fast one.

Do let her know. We have been on many cruises and it is 50 cents to send a text and nothing to receive. It used to be 20 cents to receive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

micmacmissy,

I am sailing during spring break on the Allure and am also worried about keeping track of my older two, 13 and 12. I was considering walkie talkies but knowing my kids, they will end up leaving them somewhere. I will go to the open house on the first day to see where the teen area is and see what there schedule looks like and make a plan with the kids based on that.

Family of four...thinking of spring break on the Allure (eastern itinerary). A few questions for you pros out there:

~We'll have kids (14 and 12) with us. How easy is it to communicate with them if we let them explore the ship on their own? Can we do it through iphones using imessage?

~What are the shows on Allure and can we book in advance?

~Probably will do at least one or two nights of specialty dining...what would you suggest?

~I have been off the boards for a while and saw that Oasis drydocked, are there any changes to Allure?

~Anyone out there experienced with how crowded it will be? I'm assuming the ship will sail pretty full.

Kids have only been on one other cruise (Independence, two years ago) but I know they're going to love the bells and whistles of this class of ship. Any other suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance!

About communication...my son is 12 and we used walkie talkies on the Oasis last year and they worked great. Lots cheaper than buying a texting plan.