Handicap accessible excursions for the Panama Canal

fearless cat

I would suggest you most likely will be able to do the ones marked E. I think you should come over to the Princess board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

and ask specific questions about the particular excursions you are interested in. Unfortunately, on our 16 cruises, we have seen people attempting excursions that didn't follow the recommended limitations on the excursion, and it became a very serious safety hazard a couple of times.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm a polio survivor and as such I can tell you that excursions marked as "mild" or "easy" will be doable for someone with a cane/rollator. But if the tour is described as "moderate" or "difficult", I would think twice about doing that tour, especially with a rollator. Also look for terms like "lots of walking over rough and uneven surfaces" or "strenuous walking with lots of stairs"----you probably won't do well on those tours, especially with a rollator.

Normally the handicap part relates to things like access if in a wheelchair. Not all vans or buses will have ramps for these things. Same as when tendering, if you can walk onto the tender, you are good to go. But in many ports the tenders cannot be used by people in a motorized wheelchair (too heavy to lift). If the wheelchair user can get out of the wheelchair and walk onto the tender and the wheelchair can be folded then they are welcome aboard!

Staying on the ship for the transit IS an "excursion"! You really don't need to get off the ship! A navigator will be onboard telling you all about the canal and it's history and other interesting facts!

You might notice the OP specifically asked about Limon, Cartagena and Ocho Rios in post #3.

Edited by CruiserBruce