Booking a cruise while on-board

wannagonow123

We sail on Sunday for our 2 week Thanksgiving cruise. This morning, we were looking on HAL's website for something else, and I stumbled across a really good deal (at least I thought so) for a partial 10 day Panama Canal leaving 1/2/15. It requires a guarantee room assignment, which is no biggie, and after doing a mock booking to see if there were any hidden fees, it appears they are also including a $50 PP OBC.

So my question really is, would it be better to book before we go, or wait to get on board, then purchase a FCC, then turn around and book at the same time so I get the OBC offered for purchasing? I don't know where that OBC came from during the mock booking, so maybe I print out the page that shows it and bring it with me?

Just trying to get the most bang for my bucks.

You could purchase the FCD onboard and then come home and book the other cruise. That way, you should be able to get the Welcome Home OBC as well. That's for booking within 60 days of your last cruise.

Of course, the risk is that the category you want on the Panama cruise is sold out. But, given that the cruise you want is right after Christmas/New Year's, it might still be available.

I think the OBC that you're seeing might be HAL's new promo (I can't think of the name right now but it's for sunny itineraries).

Edited by Alberta Quilter

You could purchase the FCD onboard and then come home and book the other cruise. That way, you should be able to get the Welcome Home OBC as well. That's for booking within 60 days of your last cruise.

Of course, the risk is that the category you want on the Panama cruise is sold out. But, given that the cruise you want is right after Christmas/New Year's, it might still be available.

I think the OBC that you're seeing might be HAL's new promo (I can't think of the name right now but it's for sunny itineraries).

Agree 100%. The OBC is from a current promotion, which you likely will lose at a later date. But then you pickup the FCD OBC plus potentially a Welcome Home OBC.

We sail on Sunday for our 2 week Thanksgiving cruise. This morning, we were looking on HAL's website for something else, and I stumbled across a really good deal (at least I thought so) for a partial 10 day Panama Canal leaving 1/2/15. It requires a guarantee room assignment, which is no biggie, and after doing a mock booking to see if there were any hidden fees, it appears they are also including a $50 PP OBC.

So my question really is, would it be better to book before we go, or wait to get on board, then purchase a FCC, then turn around and book at the same time so I get the OBC offered for purchasing? I don't know where that OBC came from during the mock booking, so maybe I print out the page that shows it and bring it with me?

Just trying to get the most bang for my bucks.

Another idea is to talk with your travel agent now (before you go) to see what (if any) booking bonus they are offering. Then book the cruise next week while on your Thanksgiving cruise, and have them send the notice to your T/A. You could (should) get the best of both worlds.

We've done the Zuiderdam 10 day; it's a nice cruise. The excursion to the Indian Village in Panama is the best - book that as soon as your reservation is confirmed.

One other thought - sometimes for just a few $$$ more you can select an inside room. The Category J on the main deck are marvelous oversized rooms; get one near the forward end if you can.

One possibility if you wait until after you get back as mentioned above is that you may lose the 'really good deal' or o the flip side, you may get an even better deal due to 'dream sailing'. Only you can decide which is better. We would ask the Future Cruise person on the ship and also ask our TA before we left to watch for us and to book if........

This is a tough one, I like to book on board myself, first off you get the FCD for the cheaper deposit, and the OBC.........but if you wait until you get home, book with your purchases of the FCD and possible the welcome home OBC, that might work better. Though you may lose some choice of cabin by waiting and also the good deal may disappear you never know. I wish you luck in whatever you chose to do.

This is a tough one, I like to book on board myself, first off you get the FCD for the cheaper deposit, and the OBC.........but if you wait until you get home, book with your purchases of the FCD and possible the welcome home OBC, that might work better. Though you may lose some choice of cabin by waiting and also the good deal may disappear you never know. I wish you luck in whatever you chose to do.

From what my PCC tells me, getting the Welcome Home OBC is pretty easy to do, even if you do not get the email or even beyond the 60 day window. I just got it for my upcoming cruise, even though it was about 5 months since my last cruise.

Just tell them to use offer code ZPM (say you misplaced the email if they question you, but I seriously doubt they will).

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

We booked on board last summer for a cruise in2015. We used the future cruise deposit, got OBC for the cruise and then called HAL when we got home and they gave us the Welcome Home OBC, so there is no need to wait until returning to book.

We booked on board last summer for a cruise in2015. We used the future cruise deposit, got OBC for the cruise and then called HAL when we got home and they gave us the Welcome Home OBC, so there is no need to wait until returning to book.

I tried to do that a couple of years ago and was told no, so YMMV.

Eight days after my last cruise and I just got the "Thanks for Sailing" email offering to double the OBC from our FCD which we bought onboard. I have 60 days to use this offer it says (but normally they give you even more time).

DaveOKC

I got a great deal on the zuiderdam this sept,-- in the summer I was looking at the NA, in Jan and the best price was 688$, I checked out the price on ship and she quoted me 488$, wow, I booked it. back home my TA looked up the price and it was still, 688$---yahoo, -just saved myself 400$, and my TA GETS CREDIT FOR THE SALE

Edited by maxie99