How does one dine in a main dining room when sailing alone?

NowSolo

I lost my wife a few months ago, but haven't canceled an upcoming cruise we had planned. I called Princess and they know that she's passed away, so she's no longer on the reservation. I'll be fine on my own and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else just yet, even a Pal. She and I always did anytime dining, except for one cruise, our first, when she made me go Traditional. I still remember how she lit that table up...maybe I should have done that more.

But...does anyone know if a gentleman would seem odd going to a Traditional seating alone? I know I'd need to change my reservation to that. But, I can't be the only person sailing by myself. How does one dine in a main dining room when sailing alone?

This question seems so silly. And thank goodness it's anonymous, otherwise I would never tack it up.

This bulletin was very helpful to my better half over the years, and I thank everyone for your kindness. I just know she'd want me to ask for advice before boarding.

I'll also be OK if the buffet is where I should go. No one should be afraid to tell me that cold hard truth.

Cruising is wonderful. Enjoy it in good health.

Thank you, kindly.

I don't think I necessarily have your answer,(only you do) but do you want to sit alone? I am sure you can do it either way. You can sit by yourself or be a part of a large table. Lunches and breakfast's you can be alone, might you try being part of a group at dinner?

I am sorry for your loss. I am glad you are going along with "The Plan." I think she would like to know that you are OK.

Best wishes! ( and a hug or two when you need one)

Hi,

Firstly, I am so sorry for your loss. It is so nice, however, that you are still continuing to cruise though. I knew a wonderful gentleman who always traveled solo, and he ALWAYS requested a large table. The last time he cruised he was seated during dinner in traditional dining at a table with SEVEN women:D and he had the time of his life!

We used to have traditional dining before the days of anytime dining and I recall us having all kids of tablemates, not just couples, but singles too

Cruising is a great set-up , in my opinion, for singles

Have you found a roll call for your cruise? I've been a part of several roll calls

Where sometimes people agree to meet up for dinner if they have anytime dining

Edited by 4cats4me

Your question is NOT silly. I understand how difficult this will be for you. My condolences.

As a solo cruiser, I've found that I prefer Traditional dining. Doing Anytime and having to do the "where are you from, what do/did you do?" conversations over and over was a bore to me. With Traditional, I don't feel at loose ends and have a purpose. When I've done Anytime, too often I just decided to head to the buffet, grab dinner and then go to some entertainment.

If you are not already Traditional, you can change your choice in your Personalizer. If you are waitlisted by the time you board, go to the Maitre d' AD ask to be seated in Traditional. He will very likely be able to seat you, often with other solo cruisers.

It's really a personal decision but for me as a solo, Traditional works better for my personality.

You're very kind.

I'm a cheerful fellow, a spry slim 72 year old who most assume is in my late 50's. I was hoping there would be a procedure where a large table of singles might be seated. When I say single I don't mean marital status, but those who may be dining alone. I never thought of this prospective group when sailing before. But now that I'm IN this group, I'm wondering how many other groups I should have been thinking about. That was the way my lady used to think. Maybe I need to start.

Thank you for your reply.

First of all, I'm am so sorry for your loss.

A couple of cruises ago, we had a gentleman at our large table for traditional dining who was in a similar position. He'd lost his wife several months before and this was his first venture out. He did not reveal this at the beginning of the cruise, but as we talked, it came out. Charlie was a joy to be with and we all enjoyed his company. He was a gracious gentleman. I like to think we helped him remember to laugh.

His daughter had suggested the cruise and was going to pick him up at the pier on disembarkation. We offered to have a couple of our ladies on Charlie's arms to meet his daughter and have him introduce his "new friends."

He thought about it, laughed and declined.

Best wishes

You are all too thoughtful. And this is not the easiest program to figure out. Yet I think you've answered my question. That I can try to switch to Traditional or go to the Maitre d' after boarding and ask for a table.

Are they used to hearing "can you seat me with other people dining solo", or would that just be luck of the draw.

Thank you all, again.

I'm going to try to figure out how to make a smiling face next!!

I'm sorry you recently lost your wife.

I'm not certain if you're looking to join a larger table as a solo passenger or wish to dine alone. Both are possible, and I don't find either option strange. There is no reason at all to relegate yourself to the buffet.

We've had solo travelers at a family table before and it wasn't strange at all. The maitre d will usually try to seat similar groups together the best he can.

If you'd rather dine alone alone, you can request a table for two in the cruise personalizer. Check your assignment when you board and if they weren't able to put you at a small table, explain the situation and ask if you can be moved, I'm sure they'll find a way to accommodate your wishes.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and hope you have a great cruise remembering your past cruises together.

I just saw the other posts that came in before I finished my reply, so glad to see you're getting it all worked out.

Edited by MarkSeattle

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your wife. It’s obvious from your tone that you had a warm and loving relationship – what wonderful memories you must have of your years together. Cherish them as they will help you through the dark days.

Traditional or Anytime dining - whatever you prefer is just fine. If you wish to dine in the Buffet that’s fine as well but don’t feel that because you’re a single you are banished there. You can always touch base with the Maitre’D and let him know your preference (small or large table), they are very accommodating and if you feel comfortable you can always mention that you are a recent widower.

I can tell you from our past experiences (20+ cruises) that some of our best dining companions were singles so don’t hesitate for a moment to eat in the traditional dining room.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and feel comfortable enough to reach out and talk to your fellow cruisers. While life will never be the same for you it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy yourself, have a few laughs and enjoy the conversation and company of new friends.

If you really want to be alone, you can request a table for 2. I don't think they would seat anyone with you. Or you can request a table for 6 or 8 and sit with others, maybe including another single person or so. It can be pleasant to have others to talk to at the end of the day. If your tablemates aren't to your liking you can ask to move or change to anytime dining.

If you decide to do anytime dining you can request to be seated with others or by yourself again.

Under no circumstances should you feel odd because you are by yourself, whether sharing a table or at a table for 1.

For myself I hate sitting at a table for 1 when I am cruising solo but it isn't always possible to share a table at anytime dining.

My condolences on your loss, have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by yoyosma

You're very kind.

I'm a cheerful fellow, a spry slim 72 year old who most assume is in my late 50's. I was hoping there would be a procedure where a large table of singles might be seated. When I say single I don't mean marital status, but those who may be dining alone. I never thought of this prospective group when sailing before. But now that I'm IN this group, I'm wondering how many other groups I should have been thinking about. That was the way my lady used to think. Maybe I need to start.

Thank you for your reply.

My sympathies to you. I am sure that your dear lady would be encouraging you every step of the way.

As a solo traveller, only you can really know what you need. Personally, I sometimes need some space where I don't have to engage in conversation - I tend to chose Anytime Dining to give me flexibility from day to day. Sometimes I really do want companionship and appreciate sharing a table. Other times I prefer a quiet meal - I can do this in multiple ways - a table on my own in the MDR, a table with just a few people, or even in the buffet. I happen to be comfortable being on my own and I don't always want to be re-hashing my story or engaging in idle chit-chat.

But only you can know what you really need. Don't be afraid to ask the Maitre'D about possible groupings of solo travellers. Regardless of your decision, I hope that you are able to have a good experience.

My wife used to mention a "Pam" from here. It's probably not the one who responded, but it's interesting that's the only name I remember her repeating from this bulletin. She would say "Pam said this is the best suite", etcetera.

You have all been so kind, and I wish there was a place I could click to pay you all for your help.

I may also have questions about ... oh... everything. So I may return.

Thank you all again.

My last question...for Pam, or anyone I suppose, would be...what size table would you request in the Traditional dining room? I don't want an overly large one...but, frankly, I don't know how large or small they are. I'd say not too large, not too small, but, what would that be?

My wife used to mention a "Pam" from here. It's probably not the one who responded, but it's interesting that's the only name I remember her repeating from this bulletin. She would say "Pam said this is the best suite", etcetera.

You have all been so kind, and I wish there was a place I could click to pay you all for your help.

I may also have questions about ... oh... everything. So I may return.

Thank you all again.

You've got the right Pam.:D

Now Solo, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I just returned last month from cruising solo on Princess (my beloved husband and travel companion was working "across the pond" for two weeks) so I cruised by myself.

my advice:

1) sign up for the roll call and attend the gathering if there is one

2) request traditional dining for a large table (good for dining even if others aren't solo travelers)

3) go to the singles and solo travelers gathering the first night on the ship

4) take a tour or two through the ship

5) attend wine tasting or some other activity that you enjoy

You will naturally meet other solo travelers and won't feel so alone on the ship; except for those times you want to be alone.

I made a fun loving woman who was also traveling solo and we had a fun week.

Best wishes for a great cruise.

Now Solo, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I just returned last month from cruising solo on Princess (my beloved husband and travel companion was working "across the pond" for two weeks) so I cruised by myself.

my advice:

1) sign up for the roll call and attend the gathering if there is one

2) request traditional dining for a large table (good for dining even if others aren't solo travelers)

3) go to the singles and solo travelers gathering the first night on the ship

4) take a tour or two through the ship

5) attend wine tasting or some other activity that you enjoy

You will naturally meet other solo travelers and won't feel so alone on the ship; except for those times you want to be alone.

I made a fun loving woman who was also traveling solo and we had a fun week.

Best wishes for a great cruise.

Much appreciated TravelinJones. The only Thing I didn't understand of that was "sign up for the roll call and attend the gathering if there is one ". If you could clarify.

Yes, I think a large table might be best.

On our first cruise we had traditional dining at a table for 6. There were three of us (me, my wife, and my son), one couple, and a single man who was a widower. He cruised regularly and was great company at the dinner table.

Don't feel that you will be out of place. There are quite a few solo cruisers. Some have always been solo but others are in the same "situation" as you.

I'm impressed that you are cruising only "a few months" after your loss. I think it is probably a very good decision to go ahead with the cruise even though it will be a very different experience from what you have had in the past.

Best of luck to you and all the best wishes in the world.

You've got the right Pam.:D

Yep, that's our girl. :) I find that a table for six is about right. Fewer and there's a chance people won't show and leave you there all by your lonesome some nights. Eight or more at a table and it becomes difficult to keep track of names and conversations. Lately, I've taken to asking for a table for six in traditional every time. I know you'll be a big hit with the others at the table and you'll have a good time.

On our first cruise we had traditional dining at a table for 6. There were three of us (me, my wife, and my son), one couple, and a single man who was a widower. He cruised regularly and was great company at the dinner table.

Don't feel that you will be out of place. There are quite a few solo cruisers. Some have always been solo but others are in the same "situation" as you.

I'm impressed that you are cruising only "a few months" after your loss. I think it is probably a very good decision to go ahead with the cruise even though it will be a very different experience from what you have had in the past.

Best of luck to you and all the best wishes in the world.

Very kind.

It was June. Maybe more than a "few" months.

Each reply is helpful in its own way. I'm feeling more brave about meeting others.

Thank you all, so very much.

I used to sail alone all the time. What I would do is request a large table in traditional dining. You will meet new people and they will probably invite you along to do shore activities, attend shows together and other activities. There is also a singles get together...which is not necessarily a match up meeting. I have met some wonderful solo travelers in those get togethers. Also, the more you get involved, the more you will enjoy the experience. Put on your best "extrovert" personality and go for it.:)

My last question...for Pam, or anyone I suppose, would be...what size table would you request in the Traditional dining room? I don't want an overly large one...but, frankly, I don't know how large or small they are. I'd say not too large, not too small, but, what would that be?
I would ask the advice of the Maitre d'. He will put you at either a table for six or eight. I've done both as a solo and prefer the larger table. The reason is that if some are not going to be at the table one night, you won't be sitting alone or maybe with two others. I've had that happen several times. The Maitre d' will probably sit you with at least 1-2 other solos.

And join your roll call. You'll meet other solo cruisers as well as make friends with couples. I've met a lot of people that way and I've found them warm, considerate and inclusive.

Have you found the roll call for your cruise? It's a great way to talk with others who will be on the cruise with you, and it's really fun talking about all of the ports and excursions that will be coming up. It also makes you feel connected to others on the cruise as you plan your "meet and great" once on board. I really enjoyed a recent online talk with my future cruise mates about how to get from Andalsnes, Norway to Geiranger fjord and back in one day, even though there is a fjord between the two areas. When we finally realized that it couldn't be done, I really laughed when one cruise mate suggested that we just get into a car and see how far we can get. Now, that is someone who knows how to get what they want in life! I'll be traveling solo for the first time, too, and the cruise roll call has been a great way to talk with others who will be on the cruise with me. While your question is directed at dining solo in the main dining room, I wanted to add this thought since I've found that the roll call has made me feel more connected to the point that I've stopped thinking about whether I'll feel awkward about dining solo in the main dining room.

Edited by Mackenzie1

You are all too thoughtful. And this is not the easiest program to figure out. Yet I think you've answered my question. That I can try to switch to Traditional or go to the Maitre d' after boarding and ask for a table.

Are they used to hearing "can you seat me with other people dining solo", or would that just be luck of the draw.

Thank you all, again.

I'm going to try to figure out how to make a smiling face next!!

Sorry to hear about your wife, my condolences.

Re the smile, where I am typing my post there is a section on the side labelled Smiles with 11 different smiley faces to choose from. I just type my name, add a space then choose which smiley face I want, usually the 1 with dark glasses, as I wear prescription sunglasses myself. HTH, I'm not very good at giving directions on the computer, can do it, but consider myself a very poor teacher.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Much appreciated TravelinJones. The only Thing I didn't understand of that was "sign up for the roll call and attend the gathering if there is one ". If you could clarify.

Yes, I think a large table might be best.

If you advise us of the ship and date of sailing we can direct you to your roll call where you can talk to others on your cruise.