land FLL Sat 6 am. Embark POM Sun 1 pm. Plan?

psychtobe

What is the best use of time and the most cost effective option for 2 adults and 2 kids landing at FLL airport Saturday early morning, and not embarking on the cruise out of POM until 34 hours later (Sunday 4 pm)?

FLL hotels: $100-$225 - but is early check in possible?

Car rental in FLL: $100 or so

Car rental FLL-MIA one way: $250 or so

MIA hotels: likely comparable to FLL

FLL hotel to POM shuttle: $60 for 4

we'd like a chance to hit a grocery store for some water, sodas, and snacks but not if we have to rent a car for $100+ to do so.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I would consider staying in downtown Miami since you have a full day.

No matter where you stay you cannot be guaranteed early check in but you can request it and when you arrive if room is not ready they can store your luggage. I would just take a taxi as the fare would be around $75.00 and possibly less at that time of day to get from FLL airport over to a downtown Miami Hotel.

There will be plenty of places to purchase the items you mentioned. I would try to go to a Publix Grocery Store but other options include CVS or Walgreens.

The day of the cruise you can take a taxi from hotel to port.

Look at prices for Hampton Inn (downtown one) and that includes breakfast which I bet you could also have when you get there that first morning too, Holiday Inn Bayside and Marriott and Hyatt, all downtown.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

What is the best use of time and the most cost effective option for 2 adults and 2 kids landing at FLL airport Saturday early morning, and not embarking on the cruise out of POM until 34 hours later (Sunday 4 pm)?

FLL hotels: $100-$225 - but is early check in possible? Book a budget room for two nights and advise the hotel that you will not be checking in until about 6:00 AM

Car rental in FLL: $100 or so

Car rental FLL-MIA one way: $250 or so Only if you choose to rent a Mercedes!

MIA hotels: likely comparable to FLL Likely more expensive

FLL hotel to POM shuttle: $60 for 4

we'd like a chance to hit a grocery store for some water, sodas, and snacks but not if we have to rent a car for $100+ to do so.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I would book a budget room near FLL for two nights (Friday & Sat) and advise the hotel that you will not check in until Sat morning.

I would rent a car from National, Alamo or Thrifty and drop it at the MIA airport and ride their free shuttle to POM. The car will get you to dining and shopping and the beach.

Post cruise I would use a shared shuttle to get from POM back to FLL.

Bring your own car seats if the kids still need them - I would not count on rental seat or the shuttle company. My kids only rode in seats I purchased and installed. Good luck! :)

I would book a budget room near FLL for two nights (Friday & Sat) and advise the hotel that you will not check in until Sat morning.

I would rent a car from National, Alamo or Thrifty and drop it at the MIA airport and ride their free shuttle to POM. The car will get you to dining and shopping and the beach.

Post cruise I would use a shared shuttle to get from POM back to FLL.

Bring your own car seats if the kids still need them - I would not count on rental seat or the shuttle company. My kids only rode in seats I purchased and installed. Good luck! :)

the car rental prices I listed are actual one way quotes for an intermediate car. No mercedes. I checked Kayak, Costco, and the large travel aggregators (Orbitz, travelocity, etc). I realize car rental rates are fluid and I will keep checking.

A FLL room with a one way rental for $250 will be $350 total but that may not be terrible considering we can drive to beach, grocery, and meals.

Any dates? Companies like Sixt do offer early birds a good rate.

My suggestion versus the always good Miami downtown option:

FLL -> Sixt FLL -> drive to Miami SoBe -> drop kids & check in with a Priceline/Hotwire/Travelpony SoBe hotel for (as above) 2 nights -> drop off car at Sixt a few blocks down on 5th Str SoBe -> ride SoBe local bus for $0.25 -> take a break, enjoy SoBe with CVS/Walgreens around -> $10-15 cab ride to PoM next day.

What we ended up doing:

one-way rental through Costco with Alamo FLL-MIA for 2 days (29 hours) for $67 all in. 24 hours would have been only $45.

one night using 10,000 Marriott Rewards points Courtyard Miami Lakes. They said early check in as available - but we'll have a car, we'll either head to the Everglades or the beach if we can't check in. We'll keep up water and sodas and snacks. We'll be able to grab some Cuban food and smoothies, do a little sightseeing, etc.

Sunday morning a leisurely breakfast and drive to MIA airport by 10:30 am with goal to be at POM by 11:30 am. We'll either get a car rental shuttle or a flat rate taxi for $24.

After the cruise we're staying at Homewood Suites Miami Airport using 40,000 Hilton points - not the greatest use of points and we may pay for a hotel instead. But right now this is the plan.

thanks for the help.