Drinks package promotions & under-21 passengers

schlimazel_traveler

I've booked a cruise under a promotion that offers free classic drink packages. Some of my traveling companions are under 21. I'm wondering if anyone knows how this is handled? It would seem "fair" to give them the premium non-alcohol package, as it costs less than the package included in the promotion, but I'm not sure that fairness or logic would enter into this. (Personally, I'd rather have the premium non-alcohol package than the classic alcohol package, myself!)

It would seem "fair" to give them the premium non-alcohol package, as it costs less than the package included in the promotion, but I'm not sure that fairness or logic would enter into this.

I had the same thinking as you when viewing the comparative costs, but unfortunately, that logic did not work in my instance.

We booked our upcoming cruise under the 123 Go promo and took the free beverage package option. My 18 yo daughter received the classic N/A package and I paid to upgrade her to the premium N/A package.

Free Internet isn't part of any 123 Package. Free internet is part of the perks of Elite Plus and those who purchase the largest suites.

The current 123 specifically offers 40 minute internet to 3/4 passenger along with classic NA package:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/123go-all-inclusive

Ken

...(Personally, I'd rather have the premium non-alcohol package than the classic alcohol package, myself!)...

There was a thread here on Cruise Critic a month or so ago which discussed this. Several posters reported that they were able to switch from the classic alcoholic package to the premium non-alcoholic package by asking at guest relations ASAP after boarding the ship.

Edited by Lsimon

There was a thread here on Cruise Critic a month or so ago which discussed this. Several posters reported that they were able to switch from the classic alcoholic package to the premium non-alcoholic package by asking at guest relations ASAP after boarding the ship.

Good to know!

And yes, the current promotion offers a classic non-alcohol package and some free internet to passengers #3 & 4, but we have an under-21 as passenger #2 (of two) in one cabin.

I'm pretty sure the promo I booked only provided the classic package for the two adults.

But I also booked on a promo for 3/4 pax free, so I'm pretty sure that I won't get anything for my kids. Which is fine, because they are young and they only drink water and milk.

I'm curious to read the other replies here.

Good to know!

And yes, the current promotion offers a classic non-alcohol package and some free internet to passengers #3 & 4, but we have an under-21 as passenger #2 (of two) in one cabin.

I remember reading the same thing as Larry (Lsimon). Definitely worth going to Guest Relations when you board to ask.

Jane

I've booked a cruise under a promotion that offers free classic drink packages. Some of my traveling companions are under 21. I'm wondering if anyone knows how this is handled? It would seem "fair" to give them the premium non-alcohol package, as it costs less than the package included in the promotion, but I'm not sure that fairness or logic would enter into this. (Personally, I'd rather have the premium non-alcohol package than the classic alcohol package, myself!)

Hi SCHLIMAZEL TRAVELER,

Both CHEPAR & LSIMON bring up some valid points on how we have heard here on CC this situation has been handled in the past

I just did a very detailed reply for another cruiser asking the same question in another thread (see you tagged in there as well)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127216

My Reply is # 15

Cheers!

In the UK a youngster aged 18 is able to go in bars & purchase alcohol is the age limit 21 on Celebrity ?

Celebrity follow the US ruling which is 21 years, unless cruising our side of the pond where the parents are allowed to sign a waiver to state their children can drink alcohol if they are over 18 ;).

p.s. Hope you are well?

In the UK a youngster aged 18 is able to go in bars & purchase alcohol is the age limit 21 on Celebrity ?

It is 21 in North America because the majority of Celebrity Sailings are out of the US where 21 is the legal age to drink.

Here is a copy of Celebrity's Alcohol Policy in this regard (from the FAQs on the Celebrity Website):

What is Celebrity's Alcohol Policy?

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Celebrity Cruises may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Relations Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Relations to present a valid government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Celebrity Cruises cruise vacation.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

[/Quote]

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB