Obstructive View Cabin Noise

gaylemh

We just returned from the three day sampler in an obstructed view balcony on deck 8.

No noise from the lifeboats to speak of, however did hear some power washing one morning, which I would assume can be heard from other decks as well.

We also came off the 3 Night Sampler in a category DO, room 6226. We did not hear any noise or movement from the lifeboats at all. Our room was not totally obstructed, we were able to see on the left side of us, Deck 5 below where they had some outside deck chairs and we did see the ocean with no problem. IMO, hubby and I found this cabin a little too small for us, we are used to D1 or JS. Only if the price was right at the last minute, we would have no problem booking a DO again.

We also came off the 3 Night Sampler in a category DO, room 6226. We did not hear any noise or movement from the lifeboats at all. Our room was not totally obstructed, we were able to see on the left side of us, Deck 5 below where they had some outside deck chairs and we did see the ocean with no problem. IMO, hubby and I found this cabin a little too small for us, we are used to D1 or JS. Only if the price was right at the last minute, we would have no problem booking a DO again.

Hi Linda, Was this the cabin we saw on the cabin crawl. There were so many people that showed up, I'm not sure who was who. After the cabin crawl my friend and I went down to the Next Cruise deck to change our cabin on Anthem. We now have the cabins next to where you were 6222 an 6224. I know there is a lifeboat in front of ours and it's supposed to be a 50% OV, but I thought 6226 had a 75% OV. Do you have any pictures?

I had a SJS on the 3 night, going to an DO is going to be a big change, but I'm sailing solo, so it should be fine.

Edited by gaylemh

Hi Linda, Was this the cabin we saw on the cabin crawl. There were so many people that showed up, I'm not sure who was who. After the cabin crawl my friend and I went down to the Next Cruise deck to change our cabin on Anthem. We now have the cabins next to where you were 6222 an 6224. I know there is a lifeboat in front of ours and it's supposed to be a 50% OV, but I thought 6226 had a 75% OV. Do you have any pictures?

I had a SJS on the 3 night, going to an DO is going to be a big change, but I'm sailing solo, so it should be fine.

Sorry :( no pictures. We were not part of the cabin crawl. Hubby states it was approx. a 75% obstructed view, our view was truly not bad at all. If yours is a 50% obstructed view, the view should be fine.

We have a SJS in January and I was under the impression that there were two separate bathrooms. We did stop by to see a SJS (which we were told) and I only saw 1 bathroom which had 2 separate doors. A door when you entered the cabin on your left and another bathroom door in the bedroom.

My question for you, did you have 2 separate bathrooms (toliet & sink in one and shower & tub in the other) or was is just one big bathroom with 2 doors? Also, what kind of chairs were on your deck? I thought I recall seeing 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a table in this SJS, is that correct?

Edit---sailing solo, you will definitely be fine in a DO and yes, a big difference in cabin size and cost from the SJS. The balcony was a nice size in the DO. We had two loungers and a small table on the deck. You'll be happy with it.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Sorry :( no pictures. We were not part of the cabin crawl. Hubby states it was approx. a 75% obstructed view, our view was truly not bad at all. If yours is a 50% obstructed view, the view should be fine.

We have a SJS in January and I was under the impression that there were two separate bathrooms. We did stop by to see a SJS (which we were told) and I only saw 1 bathroom which had 2 separate doors. A door when you entered the cabin on your left and another bathroom door in the bedroom.

My question for you, did you have 2 separate bathrooms (toliet & sink in one and shower & tub in the other) or was is just one big bathroom with 2 doors? Also, what kind of chairs were on your deck? I thought I recall seeing 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a table in this SJS, is that correct?

Edit---sailing solo, you will definitely be fine in a DO and yes, a big difference in cabin size and cost from the SJS. The balcony was a nice size in the DO. We had two loungers and a small table on the deck. You'll be happy with it.

I think what you saw was a Grand Suite. That has one large bathroom with two doors. The SJS has two partial bathrooms - one has a deep soaking tub, sink, and shower with rain shower head, small seat, and regular shower head. Across from that is the bathroom with a toilet and sink.

The balcony is really nice, although I didn't get to use it, except for keeping my water cold. There are two cushion chairs with foot rests and the chairs recline and a small table.

I'm in a SJS one more on Quantum in April, and then have the DO booked for Anthem in 2016.

I think what you saw was a Grand Suite. That has one large bathroom with two doors. The SJS has two partial bathrooms - one has a deep soaking tub, sink, and shower with rain shower head, small seat, and regular shower head. Across from that is the bathroom with a toilet and sink.

The balcony is really nice, although I didn't get to use it, except for keeping my water cold. There are two cushion chairs with foot rests and the chairs recline and a small table.

I'm in a SJS one more on Quantum in April, and then have the DO booked for Anthem in 2016.

Hmm, I thought it was the wrong room as the stateroom attendant seems confused when I was calling it a SJS, but never said anything about a GS.

Well it will be another surprise for us when we board in January to see the SJS.

Thank you for the clarification of the room :)

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Hmm, I thought it was the wrong room as the stateroom attendant seems confused when I was calling it a SJS, but never said anything about a GS.

Well it will be another surprise for us when we board in January to see the SJS.

Thank you for the clarification of the room :)

It may have been an SGS, or Superior Grand Suite - it's a new category, as is the SJS (Spa Junior Suite), so it's quite confusing trying to keep track. The SJS is the junior suite with the split bath (toilet and sink in one, i think shower, tub and sink in the other). The SGS (and the regular grand suites) have one large bathroom with two entrances, one off the entryway and one off the bedroom.

I'm staying in an SGS and have had all sorts of weird issues from it being a new category, from C&A phone reps not knowing what I'm talking about, to not being able to order luggage tags because it's not coded as a "suite" in their system. Heh.

• 2 weeks later...

All "D" cabins are the same size. A D1 is the same size as a D0...the only difference is location and the D1s have larger balconies.

All "D" cabins are the same size. A D1 is the same size as a D0...the only difference is location and the D1s have larger balconies.

Do you think the cabins on the other side would have the same view as you, like

Life is Good Cruising had 6226 now would 6626 have the same view?:confused:

Edited by flames

My mistake, you are correct, D1 and DO are the same exact size. The fact is we have been spoiled for so many years in booking the D1 aft cabins on Voyager & Freedom class ships (1688,1690,1388,1390, 1700,1702 1400 & 1402) and felt the DO was a much smaller room than the rooms we are used to selecting.

Do you think the cabins on the other side would have the same view as you, like

Life is Good Cruising had 6226 now would 6626 have the same view?:confused:

Yes, 6626 would have the same view of 6226 which is 75% obstructed. I copied this from a previous post which may help you selecting a DO room. This is a post with balcony pictures of some DO rooms in the Quantum forum.

50% obs

6620, 6272, 6224, 6206,6192,6190,6182,8112,7514,7114,7112,6706,6702, 6692,6690,6304,6300,6292,6690,6304,6292,6690,6304, 6292,6290,6282,6280,6666,6600,6576,6564,6210,6166, 6694,6688,6288,

75% obs

We had DO 6290. We had a larger balcony on a slant and was very deep. Sitting on the deck chair, the lifeboat started about 12 inches below the railing. Sitting I could see the ocean looking straight ahead. We saw an E1 balcony and it was very small. A DO in my opinion would be a much better option. No noise from the lifeboat, but there was a strange noise at night coming for somewhere and in addition to minor creaking.

We had DO 6290. We had a larger balcony on a slant and was very deep. Sitting on the deck chair, the lifeboat started about 12 inches below the railing. Sitting I could see the ocean looking straight ahead. We saw an E1 balcony and it was very small. A DO in my opinion would be a much better option. No noise from the lifeboat, but there was a strange noise at night coming for somewhere and in addition to minor creaking.

Thank you for the above info. We will be in 6288 on our cruise. Do you have any idea if the obstruction would be about the same??

Edited by chloe kitty

My mistake, you are correct, D1 and DO are the same exact size. The fact is we have been spoiled for so many years in booking the D1 aft cabins on Voyager & Freedom class ships (1688,1690,1388,1390, 1700,1702 1400 & 1402) and felt the DO was a much smaller room than the rooms we are used to selecting.

Yes, 6626 would have the same view of 6226 which is 75% obstructed. I copied this from a previous post which may help you selecting a DO room. This is a post with balcony pictures of some DO rooms in the Quantum forum.

50% obs

6620, 6272, 6224, 6206,6192,6190,6182,8112,7514,7114,7112,6706,6702, 6692,6690,6304,6300,6292,6690,6304,6292,6690,6304, 6292,6290,6282,6280,6666,6600,6576,6564,6210,6166, 6694,6688,6288,

75% obs

Nice to know. Thank you!

• 1 year later...

We are looking at cabin 6692 on the Anthem and see that it is not listed in the previous post. Does this mean it has more than a 50% OB or less than 75%?

pmkejk: You were in 6290 which is right next to 6202 on the port side. Can you recall what the balcony next to yours was like? Any photos?

I stayed in 6300, which is listed at 50% obstruction. Balcony was a very good size and had no noise issues whatsoever.

Don't have the best picture of the balcony:

1605a7be048aee749947f1205f66be35.jpg

At first, the level of obstruction was slightly disappointing, however for the savings it was truly worth it. Considering most of the time I spend on the balcony is at night, there is not a ton to see instead of the lifeboat.

Plus 6300 has the bed next to the balcony, which I prefer, still had the chance to wake up to this sunrise between the two supports:

5459459ffa90c7a3eedf2d3e55375993.jpg