Cruising with a toddler and car seat?

p0mpey

We are sailing with our 2 year old grandson in February. It just dawned on me that I have never noticed (and to be truthful also not been on the lookout) anyone getting off the ship at ports of call with a car seat. We know we are going to do excursions and probably be taking taxi's Anyone taken a child's car seat on board for use at ports? Thanks, Pat.

We did it once and never again. The rules in other countries concerning car seats are not like in the US.

We brought one of those car seats that converts to a stroller. We tried to get the taxi driver to let us anchor the car seat to the back seat of his taxi and he gave us a "dumb tourist" look as he didnt even have seat belts. He just threw it in his trunk. On the return, we had a similar experience. Our son ended riding wedged between my wife's legs.

For subsequent cruises, we've left the car seat at home and planned our shore excursions and time ashore so that we would not need a car seat. It's actually pretty easy, specially if you select an itinerary with plenty to do within a short stroll of the cruise terminal, or if you use alternative methods of transportation like water shuttles, etc.

Do yourself a favor and leave that clunky thing at home. All it will do is take cabin space.

It is very very rare to find transportation in other countries that have working seat belts. In ports we end up in open air taxis, busses, trains, trucks, and more often than not, just walking. Couple times we've done horse and buggy rides.

While we always bring a car seat for travel, we never use it in foreign ports. Without a seatbelt anchor, it is useless. Actually it is downright dangerous since in a wreck the seat will become like a missile and not only harm your child but anyone else it hits.

If you are really concerned, then just make a point to only do walking or train excursions. ;)

We did it once and never again. The rules in other countries concerning car seats are not like in the US.

We brought one of those car seats that converts to a stroller. We tried to get the taxi driver to let us anchor the car seat to the back seat of his taxi and he gave us a "dumb tourist" look as he didnt even have seat belts. He just threw it in his trunk. On the return, we had a similar experience. Our son ended riding wedged between my wife's legs.

For subsequent cruises, we've left the car seat at home and planned our shore excursions and time ashore so that we would not need a car seat. It's actually pretty easy, specially if you select an itinerary with plenty to do within a short stroll of the cruise terminal, or if you use alternative methods of transportation like water shuttles, etc.

Do yourself a favor and leave that clunky thing at home. All it will do is take cabin space.

Spooky - our EXACT same experience. Ditch the car seat.

We have used the car seat/stroller as well as travel vests. I don't use taxis in other countries but rather book private tours where I can find out ahead of time that there are seat belts. The car seat sat on the floor of our closets in the cabins and was used on planes, buses, vans etc... We didn't have to lug it since it was on wheels, but I would have lugged if necessary.

There was only one tour that I can think of where this did not work as it was a bus that had no seat belts. It was arranged by a family member and not myself.

I know that there may not be laws governing child restraints in a given country, but the laws of motion apply everywhere. That's why we bring the seats and or vests.

for my self, I would never drive/ride at home without a seat belt on. Never. I go on vacation and don't even think about it. It's quite silly actually. What would happen if a taxi driver in Cozumel was in a car accident and I was badly hurt because I didn't have a seat belt on? Really something to think about....

we don't take them. The kids ride on a lap or in the seat next to you. I survived my babyhood and toddler life without all the restraints that we are forced to put our children in today. Don't think a bus or train is any less likely to get in a wreck though.....if you are someone that feels strongly about having your child in a car seat then you need to do like a previous poster did and hire a private tour guide that you can mak sure they have seat belts in their car or just do things that you can walk to.

for my self, I would never drive/ride at home without a seat belt on. Never. I go on vacation and don't even think about it. It's quite silly actually. What would happen if a taxi driver in Cozumel was in a car accident and I was badly hurt because I didn't have a seat belt on? Really something to think about....

Something else to think about. Why do millions of school kids ride in busses twice a day to school without seat belts?

Something else to think about. Why do millions of school kids ride in busses twice a day to school without seat belts?

I wonder the same thing.

And a parent or teacher tieing a child to their seat to keep them out of trouble is considered child abuse....but taking a crying screaming baby/child out of a car seat where they are "tied down" is also considered child abuse or rather neglect.....

yeah there are a lot of things that to me seem backwards in a society......

School buses are designed to use compartmentalization to protect kids in the most common crash situations.

http://publictransport.about.com/od/Transit_Safety/a/Why-Don-T-Buses-Have-Seatbelts.htm

To those that say things like "we survived riding without carseats" is laughable logic. Not only are cars, highways, and traffic vastly different than they were even 30-40 years ago, but also when we know better, we do better. My mother smoked through her pregnancy with me 40+ years ago and even in the hospital after I was born. I'm very healthy and other than chronic strep as a kid which a tonsillectomy cured was a healthy kid. Should we tell pregnant women it's ok to smoke and their baby will be perfectly fine and healthy? Of course not. We now know smoking is very, very bad for you and those around you as well. Do some people smoke for 70+ years and die perfectly healthy? Of course, but that is the exception.