Small Holiday Gift for Century Crew in South Pacific????

bzv143

I am in a quandary. We will be on the Century for Christmas, and I wanted to give our steward, waiter, etc. a small gift and some money. Now, I already understand that most of the crew does not celebrate this Holiday per se, and I already know that they are in cramped quarters and do not need more "stuff." However, my question is--on this ship, what currency should we give them? US dollars? Aussie dollars? Chinese currency (since the ship is soon to go forever more to Singapore)?

Recommendations? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am in the camp that says MORE is better (when it comes to Money as a Gift :D )

And as noted, they truly can use money MORE than stuff

If you insist on giving another item as a gift, I'd consider candy / chocolate... As there is definitely a lack of junk food on the ship

As for the Currency...

I'd go with US. It is the Ship Currency on Celebrity... And also no doubt how the crew is paid as well... So they probably have a way to deal with it (ie Pursers Office)

And no matter where these employees end up in the world (with Celebrity or not) after the Century has sailed off into the sunset... US Currency is going to be something that is universally recognized / accepted the world over

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Any currency is happily accepted. They can exchange it into whatever currency they wish at the pursers office.

I wouldn't give it any thought at all.

Also Century is being sold off in April when it returns form its round trip Singapore-Dubai, so likely all staff will be off contract by then, not sure where they will end up, likely most going home for a break.

Edited by cle-guy

However, my question is--on this ship, what currency should we give them? US dollars? Aussie dollars? Chinese currency (since the ship is soon to go forever more to Singapore)?

Recommendations? Thanks!

Singapore is no where near China. It also has its own currency the Dollar.

Also Century is being sold off in April when it returns form its round trip Singapore-Dubai, so likely all staff will be off contract by then, not sure where they will end up, likely most going home for a break.

Just a quick comment. We left the Century less than a month ago after spending thirty-five nights onboard. Actually, a surprising number of the staff know exactly which ship they will be on next. We will be doing a B2B2B set of cruises on the Equinox next fall and several of our favorite staff from the Century will be on the Equinox during at least one leg of that B2B2B.