Smoking on Verandas of suites

etual324

Keith,

I do not see a problem with Seabourn filling their ships at the moment and have never been inconvenienced by smokers on any cruise./QUOTE]

You have to live through the experience to know how bad it can be. We were once the victim of heavy veranda smoking. The lower levels at SB Seattle and the hotel director were firm in demanding $5,000 for a move to slightly upgraded cabin. A call to the travel agent and within ten minutes we had the cabin without extra charge. Not an impressive performance by the hotel director.

As I mention in an earlier thread, I was on the Odyssey cruise before yours and saw 2 smokers flick their cigarettes from the balcony outside the Observation Bar. Which goes to the point that there can be idiots up to stupid tricks on any ship.

However, and to improve matters for the vast majority of sentient Seabourn cruisers, a ban on smoking on vernadas makes sense, doesn't it. That's what I included on my post cruise evaluation.

So... If more us so informed John Delaney, SVP Marketing in Seattle, he would be the wiser for it. That's the least we can do for our collective health and wellbeing. I will have a chance to do so in person this Tuesday.

Happy sailing!

You Go, Markham!

Keith1010 is spot on. We have a right to enjoy our verandah free of smoke. Apart from the health issues, what smokers seems to have trouble grasping is that for many the smell of cigarettes (not to mention pipes and cigars) is repulsive. Unless Seabourn wish to offer the suites on the basis that their enjoyment may be affected by smokers, then smoking on verandahs cannot be allowed to continue.

We are currently on Quest, the other night my wife and I had a quick dinner then went up to the Observation Lounge at 9pm to enjoy Quests cruise down the beautiful Gerlache Strait.

The room reeked of smoke, there was one women smoking over on the Port side (NOT Mrs W) and no one else up there, we had to leave as I could not breathe. (It was -2c outside)

On Quest in 2012 we thought that we would try a Veranda, we managed to use it twice in 25 days as we had a chain smoker two cabins foreword from us.

We now just stick to an A1 and will until Seabourn do something about smoking onboard (we have 150 days sailed in 4 years on Seabourn)

We had room service dinner and breakfast while crossing the Drake Passage in up to 55 knot winds, both times the RS waiter stunk of cigarette smoke, that lingered in the room after he left.

I have to hold my breathe as I cross the bridge on deck 5 (past the offices) as the passageway stinks of cigarette smoke (plus pipe smoke last night).

Seabourn of course should realize that by not offering their workers a smoke free working (and living) environment, they leave themselves open to future litigation.

I now 68 years old and have a lung condition caused by exposure to cigarette smoke from family when growing up and later on in the workplace. I take medication 3 times daily to allow me to breathe. I have never smoked, my lung condition was caused by secondhand smoke.

Quote from. Secoma 4 "Apart from the health issues, what smokers seems to have trouble grasping is that for many the smell of cigarettes (not to mention pipes and cigars) is repulsive."

My mother a heavy smoker, just before she died from lung cancer at 62, stopped smoking.

I remember her being amazed that she could taste and smell things again !

If Seabourn continue to allow Pax and crew to smoke onboard why can't they fit dedicated smoking room(s) such as in airports, vented up through the funnels ?

We found ourselves next to a veranda smoker on a Sojourn cruise, were permitted to move, and in the new room found ourselves next to another veranda smoker. Silversea or others until the smoking policy changes. FWIW, add us to the list of lost bookings.

WOW! I am getting nervous.We are past guest's of SB. Never have taken a vernada because we have always been on the Little Sisters. Not necssary. We are on the Soujoin in May and have taken a balcony suite.I HATE cigarette smoke.If I have a smoker near us it will not be pretty.I am almost considering cancelling our future cruise. My only issue is what we will loose on our air fare, COME ON SB get real.WE HATE SMOKE. If this is an problem we will never sail with SB again.

Edited by Capri73

Finally the non-smoking, (generally) silent majority are having their say.

Apart from the balcony issue, the point SKP946 makes about the Observation Lounge is even more pertinent. This is an area of the ship we have found we have often been unable to use because of the one or 2 smokers polluting the whole area. It is another feature that Seabourn cannot offer without the qualification about the likely affects from smoking.

We are currently on Quest, the other night my wife and I had a quick dinner then went up to the Observation Lounge at 9pm to enjoy Quests cruise down the beautiful Gerlache Strait.

The room reeked of smoke, there was one women smoking over on the Port side (NOT Mrs W) and no one else up there, we had to leave as I could not breathe. (It was -2c outside)

On Quest in 2012 we thought that we would try a Veranda, we managed to use it twice in 25 days as we had a chain smoker two cabins foreword from us.

We now just stick to an A1 and will until Seabourn do something about smoking onboard (we have 150 days sailed in 4 years on Seabourn)

We had room service dinner and breakfast while crossing the Drake Passage in up to 55 knot winds, both times the RS waiter stunk of cigarette smoke, that lingered in the room after he left.

I have to hold my breathe as I cross the bridge on deck 5 (past the offices) as the passageway stinks of cigarette smoke (plus pipe smoke last night).

Seabourn of course should realize that by not offering their workers a smoke free working (and living) environment, they leave themselves open to future litigation.

I now 68 years old and have a lung condition caused by exposure to cigarette smoke from family when growing up and later on in the workplace. I take medication 3 times daily to allow me to breathe. I have never smoked, my lung condition was caused by secondhand smoke.

Quote from. Secoma 4 "Apart from the health issues, what smokers seems to have trouble grasping is that for many the smell of cigarettes (not to mention pipes and cigars) is repulsive."

My mother a heavy smoker, just before she died from lung cancer at 62, stopped smoking.

I remember her being amazed that she could taste and smell things again !

If Seabourn continue to allow Pax and crew to smoke onboard why can't they fit dedicated smoking room(s) such as in airports, vented up through the funnels ?

We have exactly the same complaints! We can't use the Observation Lounge after dinner. I don't walk on deck 5 anymore. It's time Seabourn entered the 21st century. Either no smoking (smokers can go ashore and smoke all they want) or have a dedicated, ventilated room with double doors for smokers. We are boarding the Sojourn Jan. 4 for our 12th trip (199 days) but we will be giving up Seabourn if the policy doesn't change.

I am thinking ahead to my opportunity to ask about smoking policy when I see John Delaney.

From what I have read on these boards, Seabourn's prime competitors in class, Silversea and Regent, do not allow smoking in verandas or in indoor spaces such as Seabourn's Observation Bar- at any time.

Would anyone with recent experience on those lines please corroborate these points? That would help me phrase the question for our session.

Thank you and Happy Sailing!

I am thinking ahead to my opportunity to ask about smoking policy when I see John Delaney.

From what I have read on these boards, Seabourn's prime competitors in class, Silversea and Regent, do not allow smoking in verandas or in indoor spaces such as Seabourn's Observation Bar- at any time.

Would anyone with recent experience on those lines please corroborate these points? That would help me phrase the question for our session.

Recently on T/A Regents Mariner Lisbon-Miami

Recently on T/A Regents Mariner Lisbon-Miami Oct 2014 no smoking in public areas expect for small section on pool deck Regent also has a enclosed Cigar room. Also, on cruise last year aboard Silversea smoking only in one section on pool deck. So yes, their is no smoking in any of the indoor spaces or

verandas on either cruise line

Everybody sailing on Seabourn must go to the hotel manager and tell him it's unacceptable that smoking is allowed indoors at night in the Observation Lounge and on verandas. Tell him that Regent and Silversea have much more restrictive smoking policies and that if Seabourn doesn't change, we'll book cruises on their competitors.

I would be happy to have a word with him on 5 deck, starboard side, stern, which is an outdoors designated smoking area. The hotel managers I know won't be smoking on my veranda and are smart enough to avoid provocation by abstaining from smoking in the (indoor) Observation Bar where Seabourn currently allows it after 20:00 on the port side.

Of course, hotel managers are only expected to follow Seabourn head office rules. They don't make them. Let's see what pressures can be brought to bear on these arcane, senseless and growingly unacceptable and unpopular rules. I mean, who wants to breathe someone else's cigarette smoke in a bar or on one's own veranda? Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

This is Silversea's Smoking Policy.

Keith

Smoking is not allowed in most areas of Silversea ships, including:

Guest suites and guest suite verandas (including suites, staterooms, verandas and balconies on Silver Explorer)

The Bar (main bar)

Pool Bar (except at specifically designated tables)

Cigarette, cigar and pipe smoking is permitted in the following areas:

The Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated outside areas. These areas include designated tables outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar, as well as on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow, open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind, and open Deck 6 aboard Silver Explorer. Cigarette smoking only is permitted outside La Terrazza. Silversea kindly requests that guests observe the non-smoking areas.

I would be happy to have a word with him on 5 deck, starboard side, stern, which is an outdoors designated smoking area. The hotel managers I know won't be smoking on my veranda and are smart enough to avoid provocation by abstaining from smoking in the (indoor) Observation Bar where Seabourn currently allows it after 20:00 on the port side.

Of course, hotel managers are only expected to follow Seabourn head office rules. They don't make them. Let's see what pressures can be brought to bear on these arcane, senseless and growingly unacceptable and unpopular rules. I mean, who wants to breathe someone else's cigarette smoke in a bar or on one's own veranda? Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Happy sailing!

This was a huge issue on Crystal until this year when they finally banned smoking in the Crystal Cove Bar area. Until they did that, a few smokers each night made the area unusable for almost all other passengers.

Yesterday at a "new build" reception and session hosted by our TA (Seabourn's largest) and Seabourn's John Delaney, SVP Marketing and Lynn Narraway, MD UK, I asked about the smoking policy- specifically about ending post-20:00 smoking in the (indoor) Observation Bar and on verandas.

The bottom line response was that the policy is "evolving"... they made strides with the 2014 restrictions...acknowledging that some guests do smoke, John said he heard and understood non-smokers' feedback and was aware of competitors' smoking restrictions.

So he really did not say anything about saying anything about a policy change, I am afraid, given that evolving was the operative word. And so I am sorry not to have anything tangible to report.

May I suggest that we continue to do what we have been doing: complain on the post cruise comment cards, take up any particular shipboard nuisances with your

TAs and hotel managers, as appropriate, and generally continue to remind Seabourn sales that your own respiratory health trumps whatever commercial or other issues that are holding up policy change.

And let's hope that those changes finally arrive in 2015!

Happy sailing where the air is clean!

Markham: Thanks so much for your efforts in fighting the good fight. And thanks doubly for reporting back to us. Unfortunately it seems that Seabourn management seems deaf to this issue. There are a couple of obvious ways that they can provide good spaces for smokers to indulge without risking the health of the rest of us, as almost all other cruise lines have chosen to do. I just don't understand about their lack of progressiveness on this issue. Maybe we just have to vote with our pounds/dollars? Again, thanks for your efforts.

I also tackled John Delaney on the smoking issue as I was seated at the same table for lunch.

He is a non smoker himself and also detests the smell of smoke.he was recently on The Sojourn for a vacation and did smell the smoke coming from the offices on deck five,apparently action has been taken with crew office smoking already.

Although John did not want to be tied down to a specific time when Seabourn becomes smoke free on the verandas and observation lounge he did give me a hint that things will be moving in that direction in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Some bed-time reading for Rick Meadows from the UK final report on the Star Princess fire:

SYNOPSIS

At 0309 (UTC+5) on 23 March 2006, a fire was detected on board the cruise ship Star Princess. The ship was on passage from Grand Cayman to Montego Bay, Jamaica, with

2690 passengers and 1123 crew on board. The fire was investigated by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) on behalf of the Bermuda Maritime Administration, in co-operation with the United States Coast Guard (USCG), and the United States’ National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

The fire started on an external stateroom balcony sited on deck 10 in the centre of main vertical zone 3, on the vessel’s port side. It was probably caused by a discarded cigarette end heating combustible materials on a balcony, which smouldered for about 20 minutes before flames developed. Once established, the fire spread rapidly along adjacent balconies and, assisted by a strong wind over the deck, it spread up to decks 11 &12 and onto stateroom balconies in fire zones 3 and 4 within 6 minutes. After a further 24 minutes, it had spread to zone 5. The fire also spread into the staterooms as the heat of the fire shattered the glass

in stateroom balcony doors, but was contained by each stateroom’s fixed fire-smothering system, the restricted combustibility of their contents, and their thermal boundaries. As the fire progressed, large amounts of dense black smoke were generated from the combustible materials on the balconies, and the balcony partitions. This smoke entered the adjacent staterooms and alleyways, and hampered the evacuation of the passengers, particularly on deck 12. One passenger died as a result of smoke inhalation, and 13 others were treated for the effects of the smoke.

A number of factors were identified which indicate that, although the balconies met the fire protection requirements of SOLAS II-2, the basic principles of this regulation did not apply to these, or other, external areas. These included:

• The balconies’ polycarbonate partitions, polyurethane deck tiles, and the plastic furniture were highly combustible and produced large quantities of very thick black smoke when burned.

• The glass in the doors between the staterooms and balconies were neither fire rated to meet with the requirements of an ‘A’ class division, nor self-closing.

• The balconies crossed main zone fire boundaries, both horizontally and vertically without structural or thermal barriers at the zone or deck boundaries.

• No fire detection or fire suppression systems were fitted on the balconies.

The fire was extinguished within 1.5 hours after it had started. The crew fought the fire

with water hoses from adjacent external areas, and from internal alleyways. Difficulty was experienced in reaching the fire due to the construction and partitioning of the balcony areas. A total of 79 staterooms were condemned after the fire, and a further 218 were damaged by fire, smoke, or water. The damaged area covered 3 vertical fire zones on 5 decks.

Perhaps someone could take Rick Meadows aside and point out that kowtowing to the toxic habits of a single repeat passenger is not good for the line, now or in the future?

I understand that Mrs W is no longer travelling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums